New active KEF LS50 wireless

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by murphythecat, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat Thread Starter

james likes this.
  2. james

james Summon The Queen

that article says it's from today

and that sounds like an incredible product. want!

3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The AVI DM10 active.....

[​IMG]

Comes with I think 250w to each woofer and 75w to the tweeter. 24/192 DAC fitted as standard. 8th order Linkwitz-Riley active crossovers at 2khz. Subwoofer available.

4. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Oh yea, want!

5. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

My wife wants. EDIT: no, she just discovered that they are fake wireless, they need a power cord anyway, so meh...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Brother_Rael

???

How do you think active speakers are going to work otherwise....?

7. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

SHE dreamt about it

Encore, SandAndGlass and Brother_Rael like this.
  8. Brother_Rael

Just blend them in...! Other colours are available!

[​IMG]

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  9. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

The "wireless" term doesn't seem to accurately describe these types of products to me either.... Still need two power cords and a wire/link between the two speakers. Hardly "wireless"

Oh, but these are reading like they are going to be awesome. So many features packed into the speakers. I was shocked to see they were much less ($2200 pair) than I expected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Joe Spivey

11. Brother_Rael

They look good. Very contemporary!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat Thread Starter

why isnt it mention anywhere?

13. Joe Spivey

John Darko has been clamoring for an active KEF LS50 for years... he might of got an inside scoop before an official release?

14. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

15. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

they don't necessarily need a wired link between the speakers, that can be wireless as well. but yes power cords...

16. Joe Spivey

Based in the info from the article

"We’ll move each digital inputs’ data stream from master to slave loudspeaker in the digital domain using a Cat6 Ethernet connection. Users can upgrade the interconnecting wire at will"

Sounds to me they require a link. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

17. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I guess these specific speakers do, but I don't think it's necessarily a requirement for "these types" of products, was what i meant.

18. The Wireless LS50 uses a class D amp for woofer and a separate class AB amp for tweeter. Neat! I wonder if the class D amp is a direct digital implementation (like in the similar but more expensive Dynaudio wireless speakers) or a conventional analog class D amp? A direct digital amp would be really cool because the conversion to analog is at the last possible place--the amp voltage rails connecting to the speaker driver inputs. The only thing that would be more "direct" would be a speaker driver whose mechanical action somehow converts digital to analog. Now THAT would be something!

Joe Spivey likes this.
  19. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

When do they do on sale??? I could be an LS50 owner again soon...

EDIT: $2200 and shipping in December...Merry Christmas to me!

GoldprintAudio and Ivand like this.
  20. Joe Spivey

Ok. Perhaps. Most of the separate two speaker stereo setups like this I've seen require a master to slave wired connection. However, the portable Bluetooth KEF Muo are truly wireless and can be configured to run in tandem which is kind of cool....

21. uncleroy

uncleroy Forum Resident

Subscribed. Very interested in these..

22. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

The simplicity is very attractive.
    Anxious to hear reviews.
    KEF needs to make dedicated stands for these (and the standard LS50). I feel it's even more imperative for these since there will be a lot of cabling at the rear of the speaker.
    I wish there was a custom-color combo option for a small upcharge.
    I wonder if both speakers have a subwoofer out?

Joe Spivey and Robert C like this.
  23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This looks so good!

24. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

The idea of mixing analog and digital technology, especially at the amp or speaker point, really-makes me a bit nervous. After the initial DAC stage, once the digital music (CD/digital audio files/whatever) has been converted to analog, I prefer to keep it that way. 'Nuff said.

25. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

The LS50A need only powercords on each speaker and a network connection on one of the two speakers. From this speaker you can choose the outputs optical for TV etc. subwoofer outputs for each side if you use two - otherwise one will do, same goes for the analog input. In case you got a turntable and a Phono Pre or a Tape reorder . So you can put most cables behind one speaker. Not sure if you got a network streamer/internet radio along the digital side - but basically you got everything covered up and can control it via BT 4 aptX with your phone or computer / Pad. I personally would put my Turntable and Phono Pre and my CD-Network player in between the two if i was not happy with the amp/LS 50 synergie. But since I am this is not on my list.
    Definitely a great example of what we can expect in the coming years regarding the conversion of digital Hig Resolution files and speakers/amps/DACs that can actually handle these files properly...
    Not sure if regular 16 Bit 44.1 khz CD files or mp3's get upsampled to 24/192 or played back natively ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.