Analogue Productions Vinyl: (Trying to master jazz classics at 45 RPM") Miles, Sonny, Evans, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I've been spending this week trying to successfully master Sonny Rollins "Way Out West" and The Bill Evans Trio "Waltz For Debby" onto 45 RPM discs. "Tis a struggle folks! These recordings are VERY dynamic and very left/right heavy; doom for the mastering engineer.

Kevin Gray, who I feel is the best damn record cutter in the world today, has been tearing his hair out. And let me tell you, that's not a good idea...

However, we have nailed 'em! Thank goodness. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night otherwise.

The trick of making a good record, is to, well, make a good record. This means following certain "rules". Among them are the two most basic:

Rule one: The sound has to be louder than the noise of the vinyl.

Rule two: The sound can't be too loud or the groove will break.

End of old rules. New rules:

STEVE'S RULES:

I will not add ANY limiting or compression to our discs while cutting, even if the dynamic range on the master tapes is greater than the range of our VU meters (amazing, but true!)

I will not tamper in any way with the pure tonality of the original master recordings, even if one drum "thwack" is 10db hotter than the rest of the music floor.

Kevin and I will not cut too far into the record center at 45 RPM so that even an average stylus can track the groove with ease.

I will not let Kevin strangle me or kick my ass in any way, even though he wants to by now. :laugh:

My point is, I think you will find that this new series of 45 RPM Jazz reissues from Analogue Productions (see my homepage) are going to be the most pure and dynamic recreations of the original master tapes we have ever heard yet.

If I seem a little short in my responses on the Forum this week, you now know why.

Already in the can: Miles Davis Quintet "Cookin", Miles Davis Quintet "Relaxin", "Monk And Coltrane", Rollins "Way Out West", Evans "Waltz For Debby".

Next week, on to Thelonious Monk - "Brilliant Corners", Ben Webster - "At The Renaissance", Bill Evans Trio - "Sunday at the Village Vanguard", Duke Ellington - "Duke's Big 4" and Count Basie - "88th Street"! Gulp.

I'll keep you Jazz lovers posted!:)

2. RDK

RDK Active Member

Steve, for those of us eager to hear a taste of these but who only have middlin' vinyl systems and will probably buy only one or two of these - which would you recommend to demonstrate the biggest improvement over older vinyl, CD, or SACD releases of these titles?

In other words, which of these elicite the biggest "wows!" ?

Ray

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Wow!

Steve:
    This is GREAT news and bad news for me.

I just got my analog end in fine shape and I'm very much a vinyl addict right now. I simply cannot WAIT to hear your work on these classics!

Bad news is I'm friggin' broke!
    Hmm, what can I sell to get some quick cash...:p
    Dan C

4. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Re: Wow!

I'm in that boat too, but I'll have to come up with something. This just sounds too good to miss.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

RDK,
    Not necessarily a bad "Sophie's Choice"-type question, but perhaps a bit premature considering he still has 5 titles left to cut. :)

Regards,

6. Steve Hoffman

They are indeed like my children. I can't single one or the other out!

kt66brooklyn and Greenalishi like this.
  7. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Sounds great Steve. Thanks for being true to the music and sticking to what you know is best! Don't you guys pull all that hair out now.

Gosh, what a privelidge it must be to handle all those historic tapes! I mean...Monk..Miles....man! :)

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Thelonious Monk - "Brilliant Corners".... better watch where Kevin's hands go. How you're able to do these laquers without major failure is a miracle, Steve. The cutting head must have wanted to explode!

I'm thinking of "Bemsha Swing" :eek: Jeepers, Creepers!

McLover likes this.
  9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Can't wait to order these records... :cool:

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Especially the Evans Jazz Trio/@the Vanguard. I better hold up a bank pretty soon. All of these titles are fairly amazing, standard greats.

I too am low on green, but I don't intend on missing them. TIA Steve!

11. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Ahhhh, Sunday At The Village Vanguard. I'm getting warm fuzzies just thinking about it!!

Thanks for the cool update Steve. I love hearing your "rules" and techniques. And give Kevin our best :cheers:

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Even I want to taste these!

13. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Taste the sweet nectar Grant! Taste it!!

14. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Now I'm starting to feel REAL sorry for those poor souls without a TT.
    I knew there was a reason I went for a VPI instead of a LINN.
    BC

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  15. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I'd sure like to get the MKIV for my VPI JR before these come out!
    Can't afford all of these, but will get as many as I can!

16. John

John Senior Member

Hi Steve- Dont know what to say.. I am absolutely stunned that you can cut these records, and make them trackable without any limiting or compression. I am familiar with these recordings and know that they have considerable dynamics, way to go. Cant wait to hear them!

How much compression did you feel you avoided (rough order of magnitude in db) versus if you had cut at a 33.33 rpm speed?

John

17. vex

vex New Member

Huh? My Linn can do 45rpm.

Steve, you sure know what to say to make the ol' audiophile saliva start-a-runnin'. I can't wait to hear these disks!

18. syogusr

syogusr New Member

This is really great news, Steve; and I can't wait to hear these classics. Any idea of a release date?

P.S. Please don't pull out too much hair, my wife thinks you have beautiful hair!:)

19. Steve Hoffman

Re: Re: "New Adventures In Mastering" (or, "Trying to cut records at 45 RPM")

John,

I don't use compression at all in mastering. Neither does Kevin Gray, unless specifically asked to by the client.

If we were mastering at 33 it would still be the same hassle, just with longer sides. :)

McLover and kt66brooklyn like this.
  20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Is there a listing somewhere of all the '45 RPM Jazz Blues albums to be released?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Gary, subscribe to my Newsletter. It's in the latest!

If this series is successful, I'm sure Chad of Acoustic Sounds will commission a second limited edition series as well....

22. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Absolutely amazing, isn't it?

23. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Thanks for all the effort, Steve and Kevin! :righton:

24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thanks, Steve. Just discovered Hotmail was diverting the newsletter to the junk mail folder... :o

Yeeech, talk about misdirected mail! :)

McLover likes this.
  25. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Forgive what may be a stupid question, but what sonic advantages are there to cutting at 45 RPM as opposed to 331/3? What, if any, are the disadvantages?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.