Analogue Productions Vinyl: (Trying to master jazz classics at 45 RPM") Miles, Sonny, Evans, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Steve, I must ask this question. Back on the old DCC forum, I recall you being quite anti-45rpm. You even stated that you felt companies such as classic records were ripping off customers by charging more for 45 rpm discs than for the standard 33 1/3. You felt there was no sonic benefits to the higher speed. Has something now happened to change your mind? I'm not trying to back you into a corner here, as I absolutely love your work. I'm just trying to understand your change of heart. Thanks for any light your can shed on this.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Kevin Gray and I got a chance to muck around with some test cuts using a famous master tape.

The result? Of course, the 45 RPM version could be cut louder, with less groove stress; further away from the vinyl noise floor.

I was impressed.

Great for very dynamic master tapes, like the classic jazz stuff I am working on now, useless for very compressed and processed rock stuff.

Amazing sounding vinyl process, when done correctly. You'll see!

McLover and Greenalishi like this.
  3. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

4. Steve Hoffman

5. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Steve if you don't have a favorite they can't really be like your children. Unless you are thinking 60s sitcom family. When I read your first post I did the one man wave, bowed my head for a moment of silence and high-fived the air. If you need Ju Jitsu lessons to keep Kevin from hurting you I know a couple brothers from Brazil living in the valley that could help out.

6. Steve Hoffman

:laugh:

I'll keep that in mind.

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Hey Steve!! Congrats on the 45 sessions! I'm glad you and Kevin didn't harm each other or the equiipment when finding the defacto methods. Any photo's (not of you and Kevin pulling each other's hair out/actually that might be interesting/no, no, this is a family site!!). I can't wait to hear the results!

Todd

8. wes

wes Senior Member

I'll be pickin these babies up.......:righton:

-Wes

9. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Wow! Those are some of my all-time favorite titles.

Would you have any interest (again) in putting those titles on CD or SACD in the future?

10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Steve,

Regarding 45rpm cutting - I purchased the Pixies "purple" album on vinyl that you mastered - and that one is cut at 45rpm. Did you have similiar problems cutting that album (EP) for vinyl in much the same way you did for these reissues. I know that the Pixies release was not released by an "audiophile" concern so it may have been easier, huh?

Thanks.

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Sorry, I did not mean to imply the Linn can't do 45. I was referring only to the following quote from the Linn Sondek manual:

"The LP 12 was designed to give optimum performance at 33 RPM. However a 45 rpm adapter is available for occasional use."

Not very encouraging words for use with 45 rpm $50 audiophile editions.

Just my opinion.

BC

McLover likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Well, it's not up to me, it's up to Chad Kassem. He pretty much has these titles locked up for Acoustic Sounds. "Tis up to him.

Email them!

McLover likes this.
  13. RDK

RDK Active Member

This is probably a really dumb question, but are these 45s the kind with the big center hole that requires an adaptor or are they 12" LPs that just spin at 45 rpm? I assumed it was the latter, but the question above about the Linn 45 adaptor got me wondering. I've never actually seen any of these audiophile-pressed 45s before.

:confused:

Ray

14. Steve Hoffman

Not a dumb question at all.

These look just like regular LP's, 'cept the grooves are bigger, and it plays faster. :)

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

They do this because it'll sound better?

16. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

The classic records 45's (like the Bridge over Troubled Water album) were 7" with big holes? I never saw them.

17. Steve Hoffman

18. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

No, they look like LPs, one side with grooves, the other blank.
    The ones from Acoustic Sounds will be grooves on both sides.
    BC

19. vex

vex New Member

That would be a Linn deck WITHOUT a Lingo power supply. With the Lingo, the LP12 gives optimum performance at 33 or 45 at the push of a button (no cheesy adapter like that required with lesser power supplies).

McLover likes this.
  20. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I stand corrected.
    Thanks
    BC

21. John

John Senior Member

If you have a Linn complete with Lingo this does not apply. Hold the on off button until the platter speeds up to 45 locks in, and the LED changes color. If you dont have the Lingo you havent heard the table. Period. I upgraded my Valhalla to the Lingo, because I was thinking of tossing it all in favor of the VPI TNT MKIV. Glad I didnt, my 25th anniv, fully loaded Linn with Lingo has great bass, and is infinitely more musical, and involving than the TNT IMO, others will disagree.

22. vex

vex New Member

I love my Linn, but I'm not religious about my equipment. Honestly, if I had it to do all over again, I would seriously consider a VPI TNT Mk-V Hot-Rod.

But hey, it wasn't around at the time I bought my Linn, so...

23. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I did not mean to start a Linn vs. VPI thread. I'm sure the Linn with Lingo is fantastic. My knowledge about the Linn was outdated. I learned something new. Thanks
    BC

24. Steve Hoffman

Hooray!

"Bill Evans/Sunday At The Village Vanguard"

and

Thelonious Monk "Brilliant Corners"

have been completed in 45 RPM.

Ben Webster "Live At The Renaissance" is up next!

Kevin and I are going to cut this directly from the original 1960 stereo Contemporary Records' remote two-track original (thank you Stuart Kremsky). It's always a thrill (and a gamble) cutting from a session tape like this, because there are NONE of the usual "mix artifacts" on these raw tapes to help out the mastering engineer: No echo, EQ, compression, editing, etc.

We are going to bring that fabulous live sound to these 45 RPM discs with no mastering compromises whatsoever. (Takes a deep breath and a gulp), it's gonna be tough, but it will be worth it! This is an amazing (and almost lost forever) jazz masterpiece that will make your jaw drop.

sbeaupre likes this.
  25. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Sounds promising. Would a pressing lacking any compression even be possible at 33 1/3?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.