Analogue Productions Vinyl: (Trying to master jazz classics at 45 RPM") Miles, Sonny, Evans, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Steve:
    I've been drooling over the new Acoustic Sounds catalog with your Fantasy jazz project.
    One question though.
    Why no Charlie Brown Christmas? It's a popular item for sure. I'd love to hear it!

Thanks,
    Dan C

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  3. RDK

RDK Active Member

Yes, Korngold's scores for King's Road and Robin Hood are among the greatest early movie scores. Fabulous music!

Ray

kt66brooklyn and Jasonbraswell like this.
  4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I can't answer for Steve, but I can say as a Christmas music expert that A Charlie Brown Christmas was never issued, and never has been issued, as an OJC title. That may explain why it's been overlooked.

Also, though, Christmas albums usually only sell two months of the year (November and December), which makes them a tough sales proposition. That said, "A Charlie Brown Christmas" works on its own terms and would be a great audiophile reissue target.

The original LP from 1964 (mono, 5019, stereo, 85019) had a nice gatefold cover. It was replaced in 1971 (stereo only, 8431) with a regular cover. In 1988, when it was remastered and issued on CD, it kept the same number (F-8431) but added a bonus track, a different take of "What Child Is This" under the name "Greensleeves." This bonus track appears on vinyl, cassette and CD.

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Like Tim Neely, I can't answer for Steve. However, he stated earlier that Chad Kassem chooses the titles (not Steve). Steve and Kevin only do the remastering.

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I wonder if there might be some licensing issues as well. Acoustic Sounds would have to pay for the music and the Peanuts artwork. Could be pretty cost prohibitive.
    Like Tim said, I don't think many fans think of this album just "a Christmas album". It's great anytime!
    Dan C

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I agree. I must thank Tom Port for turning me on to this LP.
    BC

8. tim_neely

Perhaps. I know that there was a reissue of the CD (minus two songs, oddly -- the kids singing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and the Beethoven "Fur Elise") with a different (better, IMO) Schulz cover that was done for Hallmark Cards stores in 2000. And several of the tracks have appeared on compilations in recent years. So it's not impossible.

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

When you say "A Charlie Brown Christmas", do you mean the Vince Gualdardi album on Fantasy? Because I do have this on CD. It just isn't Christmas for me without hearing "Linus & Lucy".....

10. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Last Xmastime , it was available from Starbucks, I was going to buy it and they were gone the next time I stopped by..........

11. tim_neely

Absolutely. We were talking about this album in reference to recent Fantasy Jazz vinyl reissues and why it might have been omitted.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Oh, okay. Thank you sir.:D

13. Steve Hoffman

Amazing how many of you DIDN'T grab these. The best vinyl versions that ever were or ever will be..

wwright, Dignan2000, hutlock and 3 others like this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

There weren't that many of us here back in 2002. Lots of old names I remember.

waynevinyl and MonkeyTennis like this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wow, has it been that long? 20 yrs. Geesh. And still the best:thumbsup:

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

And 20 years later, I'm buying based on his name !

kt66brooklyn and Further like this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

They were my first introduction to jazz. Against the advice of "Are you crazy? Go listen to these on cd before you spend 50 on these!"

I rebelled against ya ;)

For once Im glad I did! Ha.

Best ever versions indeed. Thanks Steve.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Unfortunately, I was young and foolish and not a big jazz fan back then, so I only have a handful (I still use "St. Thomas" from Saxophone Colossus to show off my system). I was fortunate enough to pick up the pop/rock offerings on 45 rpm, including the Creedence 45 rpm EP box set, and the Nat King Cole LP's, which sound absolutely amazing.

Of course, like everyone else on this Forum, I love your 45 rpm cut of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. I know that you and Kevin cut a few other titles for Warner on 45 rpm that never saw the light of day - Blue, Sweet Baby James and Rickie Lee Jones are the ones I know about. Were there any others (or are you even able to talk about that)?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

There were some others, I can't remember which exactly; since they were not released, I just wiped them from my brain..

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  20. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I hope these classic jaz album reissues from Analogue Productions were not sourced from digital. If they were, please indicate in the liner notes and if possible inform us about the mastering process used. Thanks!

21. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I picked up some AP 45s this week.
    Mastering by SH and KG!

Can't wait to hear them.

MikeJedi and kt66brooklyn like this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

What did you get?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  23. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Ike Quebec / Soul Samba Bossa Nova (really lucked in to this one)

John Patton / Along Came John

Dizzy Reece / Soundin' Off

Johnny Griffin / Introducing Johnny Griffin

:-popcorn::wiggle::-popcorn:

24. Steve Hoffman

Have fun.

25. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I listened to my Linda Rondstadt - Greatest hits last week, and it still blows my mind to this day. I remember that was the first record I played for my dad when I got back into buying records in the late 90's.

kt66brooklyn likes this.