New Aimee Mann album "Mental Illness" (03/31/2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Europe import price more.
    Norm.

2. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

3. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

The "Q" for stereogum dot com (Stephen Deusner?): When “Same Auld Lang Syne” by Dan Fogelberg is mentioned gives the reply...
    STEREOGUM: I don’t know that song.
    That is a sad effort on his part.
    That is a great song.

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

6. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Lost track of Aimee for a few years. This one sounds interesting and I may be tempted.

melstapler likes this.
  7. alexpop

She's got a winner with this one.

D-rock and melstapler like this.
  8. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

If you liked that, you will definitely like the new album. Excellent string arrangements galore.

melstapler likes this.
  9. alexpop

Always thought she be great to team up with Richard Carpenter.

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Am I the only one who reads this as a song about unrequited love? Especially given the tone of the video?

pghmusiclover and melstapler like this.
  11. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Listening to "Patient Zero" a few times, it strikes me that it sounds more like what she was doing on her first solo album than anything else she's done since. Which is not a bad thing.

12. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

I can tell you what she said about it, in part, when I interviewed her recently.

"'Patient Zero’ is a little bit Day of the Locust... Meeting [a well-known actor friend] inspired me to write about somebody that comes out to L.A. with a promise of being in a big movie, and then various machinations edge this person out, and maybe that’s for the best. I think being famous can ruin a person. It’s a weird kind of trauma and I think it makes people crazy. If everybody around you is saying you’re amazing and all your choices are great, there are no touchstones. The life of the superfamous has special requirements. It’s a very rare person who can withstand it.”

13. alexpop

Like the song, but not the kooky video.

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

"I'm not making any money on touring" Aimee says ... so if acclaimed but not wildly popular musicians like her aren't making any money from record sales or touring, what are they making it from?

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

She didn't say she wasn't making money, she said it depends on how much money and she didn't make enough for her to live on. I guess it depends on what lifestyle you are used to living. Also a lot of acclaimed musicians did sell a lot of records earlier in their career so I guess a lot of them live off of their savings and investments.

This new album sounds a bit dull to me. I enjoy her more uptempo rock based songs. A whole album of downtempo acoustic is too one note for me.

16. alexpop

Her hubby must be secure financially.

17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Is that a special sexist comment for International Women's Day?

This place really amazes me sometimes.

tmtomh and CWillman like this.
  18. alexpop

amazes me sometimes"
    Yep, sure does.

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I'm sorry, if you don't get how your comment was offensive, then it's even more incredible.

Beyond that, Aimee Mann's yearly royalties from "Voices Carry" probably amount to more than Ted Leo makes off his entire recorded output.

tmtomh likes this.
  20. Squealy

I kinda think that's a distinction without a difference... but my point was more, every time we hear about weak record sales we then hear "but they make money touring" and now here's Aimee saying that isn't very profitable either, for someone at her level.

As far as I know Aimee is still married to Michael Penn, although I did wonder when she started a duo project with another guy. But perhaps that's more sexism.

21. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

She and Michael Penn divorced a while ago. I actually don't know if she's married to Ted Leo, but my understanding is that they are indeed a couple.

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

Radio play /mechanicals for
    Voices Carry from the past three decades ?
    Respect!!!

23. alexpop

Divorced.
    I was unaware.
    My apologies.

24. Squealy

I can't find any reference to her and Michael getting divorced online... do you have inside info about it?

25. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

The two songs out so far are nice. I will admit I need to verse myself more on her. I really like the few Til Tuesday songs I know plus the few solo songs I've heard (Save Me, Charmer...) plus I loved her cameo on Portlandia a few years ago that really cracked me up.

Where should an Aimee noob (well, maybe not a noob since I remember Voices Carry over 30 years ago) start? I've always wanted to get into her work but always ended up getting into something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.