New Aimee Mann album "Mental Illness" (03/31/2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Inside info"?
    It would appear to be so.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Probably "Bachelor no. 2" is the most representative album of her overall career, although her first two albums are more lively.

tmtomh and Dave 81828384 like this.
  3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

I would agree with that album (but I'd probably start with the second and third 'Til Tuesday albums).

4. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

I too have never seen anything about her being divorced from Michael Penn. Where does this info come from? I think she's posted Instagram pictures with him in them in the not too distant past (I'm not saying that's proof they're not divorced, but it would seem to make it less likely).

Do yourself a favor and listen to the final 'Til Tuesday album "Everything's Different Now" as soon as possible. It is a pop masterpiece in my opinion.

As far as her solo stuff, I agree with the above comment that "Bachelor #2" is probably a good place to start for the best representation of her sound. But my personal favorite is her first one, "Whatever."

D-rock, Hep Alien, factory44 and 4 others like this.
  5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, I've been looking online, too, and don't see anything. In all stupid honesty, I believe I read about it on this forum, so you know, I could be completely wrong.

Beyond that, yes, I had heard from someone in the business that Aimee Mann and Michael Penn had "split up," and that she and Ted Leo were "a thing," so I assumed that meant they'd divorced. There is an article that says they were going through a rough time, so I guess maybe they dealt with it and carried on without actually divorcing?

6. alexpop

Penn/Mann
    Very nice version of "Two Of Us".

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  7. stem

stem Forum Resident

The album Whatever is also my favourite. Its melodies really get to me.
    It's actually quite different to her Til Tuesday albums, where there is much more going on in a poppy way.
    Don't get me wrong, The Til Tuesday albums are great - and they sound fantastic too - but they probably aren't the place to start to prepare for her forthcoming album if you are unfamiliar with her work and don't know where to start.

e.s. likes this.
  8. alexpop

Start to finish Lost In Space.

9. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

I personally encountered the two of them together within the last two months. For what it's worth. I'd be skeptical of suppositions in this forum as the last word on any personal matters.

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

'Til Tuesday - Welcome Home (terrific pop album, very overlooked)
    Aimee Mann - Bachelor No. 2 (her best album, in my opinion)

Hep Alien and pghmusiclover like this.
  11. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, my mistake in perpetuating that, if it's untrue, especially since I'm pretty accustomed to how often misinformation is spread on forums like this.

12. alexpop

Thanks for the info.

13. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Maybe tweet that Aimee & Michael are no longer together and see if she likes it.

14. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

New LA Times interview discussing "Mental Illness":

Aimee Mann embraces the darkness on her new album, 'Mental Illness'

Also worth noting, in light of the discussion here, is this line from the article:

"Her husband, musician Michael Penn, is loading boxes in an adjoining room, and as the sound of tape being ripped from its roll echoes, Mann bemoans the hassle of home renovation."

Hep Alien, e.s. and alexpop like this.
  15. alexpop

Fifty six ?
    The lady looks twenty years younger.

Fkrol likes this.
  16. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

I sooo love Welcome Home - pure magical music!!

e.s. and pghmusiclover like this.
  17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree -- I almost didn't give it a chance because I hated "Voices Carry" so much, but I think I caught the video for "What About Love" from it and fell in love with Aimee/them.

dvcarrick and ralphb like this.
  18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Just playing Welcome Home for the first time in quite a while, and this is kind of a lost classic pop album, every song is an ear worm, the hooks, the glossy production, the performances, everything is spot on perfect.

19. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

EDN is my favorite, but I find Welcome Home fantastic and nearly as good. Two of the greatest albums of the '80s, in my opinion.

20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Very pleased that the info I repeated was incorrect. They're both awesome musicians and any breakup is awful, so yeah, glad to know I was wrong.

(And that will teach me to pay attention to garbage like that, when it's posted without any actual source.)

21. alexpop

Bit late now.

22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yes, the whole world came crashing down.

kevywevy likes this.
  23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I'll have to listen to The Forgotten Arm again - it didn't grab me initially.

I appreciate your list, but personally I'd rate Whatever much higher, probably third behind Bachelor No. 2 and Lost in Space.

RE Lost in Space, I have the MFSL SACD for the sonics (of course), and the Deluxe Edition - which can be had pretty cheaply used - for the 2nd CD, which I think is excellent - great live tracks, covers, b-sides, and so on.

Finally, for someone looking to get in to her work, I'd recommend starting with Whatever because it:
    1. Represents a nice hybrid between the more pop-oriented 'Til Tuesday material and her later more melancholy material
    2. Has a nice, dynamic mastering, unlike a lot of her later work
    3. Can be had dirt-cheap on the used market
    4. Is not available in a MFSL mastering - and why lay out the big $$$ for one of those when you're just trying to dip a toe in the water initially?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  24. I will take a try. I disliked her last couple of albums. I hated Lost in Space and The Forgotten Arm.

25. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

I'd also recommend "Whatever". It's the most diverse in sound and style. The acoustic b-sides are also worth tracking down. "Stupid Thing" is especially brilliant in an acoustic setting.

dvcarrick and tmtomh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.