New Aimee Mann album "Mental Illness" (03/31/2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Interesting recommendations for "Whatever". I have to say that after the last brilliant Til Tuesday album, I was terribly disappointed in it. In fact, there was something about the way her voice was produced on those first few solo albums that just grated on me -- I guess she had always been a "nasal" singer, but boy it seemed REALLY emphasized on those albums. It wasn't until "Bachelor..." that I could listen to Aimee again. Those first two solo albums still leave me cold. So again, it just goes to show how we all hear things differently...

2. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

That's interesting, because it sounds the complete opposite to me. I always felt she sounded more nasal as time went on. On the first two solo albums, "Whatever" especially, I think her voice sounds brighter and clearer, more like it does on the 'Til Tuesday stuff. That's back when she used to enunciate words more. Everyone does hear things differently, I guess!

tmtomh and rednoise like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Til Tuesday she has a happier tone.

4. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

Don't think either of the videos do the song justice, but thanks for posting.

6. alexpop

Already ordered my LP copy, not long now.

7. pghmusiclover

8. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Im looking forward to this

9. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

First impression from the stream: Lots of beautiful songs, some of her best vocals in recent years, love the strings and lush backing vocals. I do miss the mix of tempos that can be found on her other albums. She was not lying when she said they were all waltzes.

My faves so far: "Poor Judge," "Rollercoasters," "Goose Snow Cone," "Knock It Off"

tmtomh, D-rock and Hep Alien like this.
  10. alexpop

Nobody buying it ?

11. pghmusiclover

I think the majority of people posting in this thread -- myself included -- are going to buy it when it's released next Friday (03/31). I wasn't able to listen to the stream here at work, but plan on doing so later this evening.

12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Pre-ordered when first available. While my overall impression of every album varies, there hasn't been an Aimee Mann album I've disliked yet.

chickendinna likes this.
  13. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the vinyl months ago. But I do listen to online streams when they become available.

14. dance_hall_keeper

tmtomh and alexpop like this.
  15. alexpop

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Positive review.

tmtomh likes this.
  16. alexpop

Should be out in a few days.

17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I really agree with this - I like it so far, but I do find it lacking a certain impact or pacing, and I think it's precisely because of similar tempos, as you say. Will be interesting to see what she does with this material live - looking forward to seeing her next month.

Fkrol and alexpop like this.
  18. alexpop

next month "
    Til tuesday then, enjoy

19. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Aimee will be on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert tonight.

20. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

Yeah, for me, it's like if you heard the majority of the songs on this album spaced between songs of different tempos, you'd sit up and take notice of it right away. But because there's like a single tempo for the entire album, each song becomes a little less noteworthy.

But that's me being nitpicky -- overall I had a positive reaction to what I heard in the stream. I look forward to diving into it more once my hard copy arrives.

tmtomh and whisper3978 like this.
  21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Very well said! I agree completely - as part of an Aimee Man iTunes (or whatever) playlist set on random shuffle, all of these tracks would be great.

I've listened to the album twice more since my last comment, and it's definitely growing on me. I already like it better overall than Charmer (even though they're very different albums of course).

I also like it because her post-2002 work generally has been dynamically pretty crushed, and the nature of the music on this new one makes the album a bit more dynamic.

D-rock likes this.
  22. pghmusiclover

23. pghmusiclover

pdenny, IronWaffle and e.s. like this.
  24. dance_hall_keeper

Order shipped (cd).
    Your estimated delivery date is: Monday, April 3.
    I'm guessing tomorrow...maybe.

25. alexpop

Should be picking it up later day, report back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.