NEW! AKG K812 flagship reference headphones.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HiFiGuy528, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I use a pair of AKG K712s with Schiit Valhalla tube headphone amp. I enjoy the sound very much, finding it well balanced and detailed, but find that with any type of headphone listening I get ear fatigue very quickly. I play them as quietly as possible while still being able to hear the details but still want to take them off after less than an hour. It is for this reason that I mostly listen to my loudspeakers, probably 90% of the time. I get frustrated with my room being so small though that I can't turn my speakers up to a decent volume without aggravating my tinnitus.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Are these still made in Austria? My K701 were ...

3. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I believe production is now out of Slovakia.

4. coopmv

Really? I thought all models are now made in you-know-where. I still have my original AKG 240's, made in Austria and fully operational from over 35 years ago ... :righton:

5. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I'm not sure they're manufacturing anything in Austria now.

6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

What? AKG headphones no more made in Austria but possibly in "you-know-where"?:cussing: Rats!

7. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Thanks that's kind of what I was thinking.

I have the K701s and really like them. I love the detail, the fabulous soundstage and what I consider an appealing sound. The only problem is a lack of bass for _some_ types of music.

I bought the Sennheiser HD600s and AKG k712s but don't love either as much as the 701s although they both have more bass.

As you mention the drop is US only although sometimes they offer a way around this(I got my AKG K712s there). I could probably sell my three current pairs of headphones and get the new AKGs :)

8. coopmv

My 701's were still made in Austria, though some of the later ones were made in you-know-where ...

9. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

I actually disliked the AKG 812 when I compared them with the following: Fostex TH-900, Sennheiser HD800/650/600, Sony MDR-Z7, Audio Technica ATH-M50/M50x/M40x, HiFiMan HE-6, Focal Spirit Pro/Classic, Oppo PM-1, Philips Fidelio X2, Shure SRH-1540, NAD Viso HP50, Beyerdynamic T1, PSB M4U, among others including the AKG K701/702. You need to listen with your own ears and use other's reviews as a possible guideline. I don't completely remember exactly why I disliked them as it was quite a while ago just that I thought they sounded horrible especially for the price. I agree with JonP about the Fostex TH-900 as being one of the best (even though they have their own slight negatives) but not about the AKG K812. Look at reviews and compare them with your own top criteria for headphones then decide. Try and listen if you can before you buy. Tyll at innerfidelity is a good reviewer of headphones and usually gets it right with how a headphone sounds. http://www.innerfidelity.com/reviews

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.