New album from Sam Beam / Iron and Wine - Beast Epic - 25th August

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rich100, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

After a couple listens, I'm not digging this album too much. It's not bad, and while it has some of Bean's best singing, there doesn't seem to be much to the songs. The words and especially the melodies of the songs aren't nearly as catchy as the typical I&W songs - it's almost like he's phoning it in or even improvising some of the songs. I should give it more listens though.

2. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

The band is recording a live album tonight at Third Man here in Nashville. As with most of the shows recorded at Third Man they will offer a black and blue colored vinyl pressing to concert attendees. Can't wait!

3. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

Love this album very much. His best effort in years!
    Also, the vinyl version is really nice. Coloured vinyl, plays super quietly and without any pops or crackles. When I think how many temporary"quiet" albums were pressed on really noisy vinyl lately (Sufjan Stevens Carrie and Lowell comes to mind), "Beast Epic" sounds like an audiophile revelation. The fact that it seems to be doable in 2017 to press acoustic music on quiet (coloured!) vinyl without turning the album into a noise-floor is nearly revolutionary ;)
    I wonder why it is so "hard" for other labels to produce nice and quiet vinyl like this.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  4. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

How about that Sam Beam pulling a Grammy nomination for Best Americana Album this morning!! I'm beyond thrilled.

setlistthief likes this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That’s nice to hear. Beast Epic is a warm, cozy little album. We need music like this from time to time.

chickendinna likes this.
  6. Not related to this album in particular(which is ok but nowhere near as good as the previous 2) but Iron And Wine are a contender for the most annoying Archive release of the year.They have released a disc of demos from The Shepherds Dog but only on vinyl and only for sale at concerts.Not good if you don't have a turntable and/or live several continents away from any shows.Way to go for the fans Sam.

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Are these the same demos that were offered for free on the website a few years ago? Or is this a new set of demos?

8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Also, I tried to get tix to his show in LA... show was sold out.

9. Will Harris

Yes, Archive Series Volume No. 4 is the same stuff that used to be online, and for one day Sam allowed them back online as a download on the tenth anniversary of the record release.

I was at the two NYC shows and got one of the vinyl records. Those were clear gold. He either sold those out, or is saving them for the next leg of the tour - because he has pressed up
    a new one in opaque pink. He is selling these at his site. The tour vinyl did not come with a download card, I'm not sure about this new one.

10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I may order that one. Indie, with all of the color variations, makes my head spin at times. I did get the Beast Epic LP with a signed lyric book from Barnes & Noble. That’s a nice touch.

11. Will Harris

Sam must have some kind of a promotion deal with B&N. I got the Our Endless Numbered Days vinyl there with a signed insert. I got the current Tour Poster signed at the Town Hall concert.

12. Will Harris

Forgot to ask: Is that the single Lp version or the Deluxe? Sam must love vinyl. He pays close attention to details. The Deluxe vinyl is two different colored records, and the booklet is stitched together.

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes it was the deluxe. I think it was $32. It sold out quickly, although you might find copies in-store.

14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Really enjoying this one.... it's nice and folky, mellow, and laid-back.... reminiscent of the early albums.

15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Just noticed a new release is out - Weed Garden EP.

Weed Garden

16. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Just got back from seeing him at House of Blues - great, fun show!

He's a total goofball and that side of him was out in full force tonight. His band was great - three women; one on cello, one on keys, one on drums, and a dude on bass. Girls on keys and drums also sang a ton of back up/harmonizing, and they sounded remarkable, especially with Beam.

Played almost half the songs from the new album, nothing from the new EP, a few older songs, a smattering from the in-between albums and nothing from his last album, Ghost on Ghost, which is too bad, as I really like that album but missed that tour. He even played a cover of New Order's Love Vigilantes, in his own way.

Catch him if you can - I think this may be the second and last leg of this tour.

Will Harris likes this.
  17. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

I'm addicted to this album since a few months. The sound and especially the multi vocals are so exquisite. If velvet was sound, it would sound like this. It reminds me of Simon & Garfunkel and (a wild guess) Fleet Floxes. It's a mystery why this album doesn't appeal to many more people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.