New Amazon "feature"... photo of your delivery

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Muzyck, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality Thread Starter

Anyone else get one of these "delivery photos?"

I forgot that I ordered a CD a couple of days ago and just thought about it about a half hour ago. This was long after my usual local post office deliveries but I know that Amazon ships "Prime" items through a distribution network in my area that does not go through the local post office / carrier. So before I even took a look to see if the package was sitting on the stoop as usual, I check the Amazon site and see this (my address has been edited out of the picture)...

[​IMG]

Shocked to see this but the real amusing bit was that in order for the carrier to prop the envelope in the mail slot in my box to take the photo, they had to bend the jewel to the point that the corner cracked. They could have just lifted the slot and dropped it in the box, but that would have made the photo impossible.

Got to love it.

When I tried to point this out in the response using the "Tell us what you think..." link, all I got was a message "unable to post comment, an error occurred" :rant:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Also could've moved the jewel case up, held it in place with their left hand, while lowering the corner of the envelope, into the slot.

Damn large envelope for a single CD.

My people just set them against the door, and knock, as I have requested.

MikaelaArsenault and Muzyck like this.
  3. Muzyck

I can't get even my local carrier to consistently hold my mail when I leave for travel even though I file the form 8076. I came back from a business trip last February with a stack of mail left under twenty four inches of snow. I talked to the carrier on the Friday before I left and told him that I left the notice. Locked the box so if he screwed up he might get the hint. No luck. He got frustrated that I locked the box and just tried to attach the mail to my door handle with a rubber band. That failed during a snow storm. Not the sharpest tool in the shed. I got another notice at the time while away that a tracked package was delivered and had to contact the local postmaster via the MYUSPS app to stop the bleeding. I found the 12" single in the drifts.

I suspect making a request to the central hub about packages would be useless.

On another unrelated note, I find it amusing that I can't leave "packaging feedback" on any of my pre-orders on Amazon. Nice. Very nice.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  4. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

I got this photo of your delivery exactly one time and guess what, it wasn’t my porch!
    So I replied what I thought, that’s great but this isn’t my house and I don’t have my delivery.
    Thankfully a neighbor brought it by later

5. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

I actually saw a story on the news, the other day, where amazon videotapes deliveries as part of a pilot program in a Belgian town, can't remember where exactly. It consists of a smart lock installed on the front door. The delivery man gains access with the use of a one-time password, leaves the box on the floor, then closes the door and leaves, all of this as the customer is watching real time on his smartphone as the delivery takes place.

Asked about potential security issues, an amazon representative said that actually after 30 seconds or so, if the delivery-man hasn't closed the door nor left the premises, a security mechanism is triggered which consists of measures going from calling or paging the delivery man for explanations or even dispatching security guards.

Dave likes this.
  6. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Pretty obvious to me that this new "feature" isn't designed to give the customer a "better experience," it's to protect their own ass and cut down on claims of products not being delivered.

PhantomStranger, Dave and KeninDC like this.
  7. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Suggestion:
    Post office box? Or third party mail box?

8. Muzyck

Great. What makes you think that the losers that can't manage to find my house will be able to figure out what box to put the notice in? I guess I should pay extra for basic mail delivery as insurance coverage against "stupid". Brilliant!

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.