New "Animal House" DVD: John Landis Get's It!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reechie, Jul 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I'm shocked, to be honest. There are certain visual things you want taken out and spiffed up if at all possible: heavy speckling, tears, scratches, any unnatural fuzziness or brightness and other signs of age and wear and tear. I just don't remember ANIMAL HOUSE looking 'perfect' back in '78; seemed to me it looked fine, but I don't remember a thing spectacular about the image or the sound. We're not talking about something shot with the care and scope of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, after all; it's just a pretty good campus caper comedy that unexpectedly became a box office smash. Wasn't shot on a big budget, and with so little info to go on, there should hardly be any fuss at all but, hey, we ragged on the Stones vinyl and it isn't out yet either, so what the hell....:D

What next--the perfect restoration of AMERICAN GRAFFITI? God help us that it should look a little grungy and, ahem, dark.:rolleyes: I shudder to think what a 'perfect' print would look like....:sigh:

ED:cool:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Now I'm confused. The article is saying that it is not the print quality that he was concerned about, but how the technicians cleaned up the image? Heck, in that case I'm on his side. BUT, it sure didn't seem that way judging by his quotes.

Oh well, I'll wait for a review from one of you!

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Ed,
    I hate to break it to you, but in the current DVD release of "American Graffiti", George Lucas went in and digitally inserted a "perfect" pink clouds in a glowing sunset sky over the opening shot. I wish I was kidding, but your fear is at least partly already the reality.

...uh...have a nice day otherwise. :)

Regards,

4. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Ken,

Did George insert any moving dewbacks into the background? :D

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It should be presented with the utmost clarity...Give me a break...:)

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If you look at the clouds from just the right angle, you can kind of see it.

Regards,

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Well if that's the case, I'll just stick with the 20th anniversary edition DVD. I guess there'll be no need to buy it again.

8. RDK

RDK Active Member

Sorry, Ken, sometimes subtlety eludes me! ;)

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Is this also a good time to mentiion I kept my LD?:)

ED:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.