New Audio Note TT-3 turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

This could be the first picture of the still-in-development Audio Note TT-3 (half?) replacement. Rumored price is around $10,000 US. Triple, closed-matched motor and separate power supply, but supposedly not a three-box affair.
    Looks VERY interesting...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2015
  2. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

That's super cool looking!

Long Live Analog likes this.
  3. Jim13

Jim13 Forum Resident

WOW...

4. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Oh sure, steal my thunder!
    :D:D:D

5. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

I can't say I'm not surprised to see this here. Where did you guys see this lovely (slightly warped looking) phone pic?

Yes, three motors, single outboard power supply. I don't believe it's meant to replace the Half Ref, nor do I think the price is likely to prove correct. I'm not even sure whether this table is designed for 9" or 10" arms. I'll try to come up with accurate details and report back.

It *may* go into production some time next year, but as always, holding one's breath is not recommended . . .

6. David Cope

Never mind. I know where it came from. So much for discretion.

7. raferx

8. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I want. I've been hoping to see a trickle down TT3 half ref.

9. David Cope

It may be known as either TT Three 0.3 Reference or just TT Three. Not a replacement for the Half Ref.

That is a 10" version of AN's current 9" arm shown.

The photo was taken no more recently than February 2014, which is when I received it. I think it will very exciting when it goes into production, but I have a Voyd the Voyd I'm having rebuilt now as I expect it to be a year before this one becomes available.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    hal jones and raferx like this.
  10. David Cope

11. David Cope

Me, too. It would fill a yawning chasm between the TT Two Deluxe, even with external PS, and the TT Three Half Reference.

raferx likes this.
  12. Don Parkhurst

Hi David

I'm afraid that this is my fault : )

I had sent a few emails to Peter Q, asking about the specific details of an IO cartridge, such as its compliance and which tonearm it will or won't work with on my VPI Classic 3.

Peter eventually sent me the photo that you see and gave me some details of its release date as well as the news that the 10" version of the arm 3 will be out late this year, or I'm guessing perhaps early next year. Peter mentioned that he hoped to see the Turntable Three (or whatever name it ends up being) released in March to April of next year. Of course, I shared these tidbits with my two audio buddies and I think that perhaps Terry heard and thought that he would post a teaser : )

So, only a minor brouhaha, but you can place the blame at my feet!

BTW, I may be placing an order for the Turntable Three next year as it will be the best match for my new cartridge and SUT, that are being built at present. I find the price of the TT-3 Reference and the TT-3 0.5 reference turntables to be well above my pay grade, so this will be quite a welcome price point in relation to the other two. (Peter hoped to finalize a price below £5000, as well as having the option of gloss black). I hope no one minds the news of the table being released, but as it is out now, I thought that I should share exactly what Peter told me - to be as accurate as possible.

Have a happy weekend : )

raferx likes this.
  13. Don Parkhurst

I think that you are exactly right and I suspect that they will sell quite a few, for that price range. Perhaps not as many as Rega sells in the budget market though ; )

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

First impression - ugly - major dust collector.

Pure sillyness - quote from their site - also picture in post above is not showing.
    "Audio Note does not share other manufacturers’ enthusiasms for high mass turntables. Very heavy, dense platters may be cheap to manufacture and look impressive, but in our view they all to a greater or lesser degree (depending on material choices) store and reflect energy which results in less than optimal playback. "

Yep - just looking at my VPI 2 inch massive platter - it is just sucking up all that energy - I can feel it after I remove the record and flip it - I have to wait 2 hours before I can play again. Silly - just plain goofy.

I do not mind tables that look like the above -such as Avid's - they are more tastefully done.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Wngnt90 and alanb like this.
  15. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

What AN turntables have you heard?

David Cope and raferx like this.
  16. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Like I said - my first impression - that is all that matters - I have no urge to listen to it - if it was beautiful I might. To me - beauty is a major factor - as a turntable is quite large and prominent - not to mention - I've heard great tables - so if anything - this could be marginally nicer - but in reality - probably not discernible from something in the $3K range. And I'm sorry - that quote is just silly.

If it is your cup of tea - by all means - enjoy it.

17. missan

missan Forum Resident

I agree, this is just silly.

rebellovw likes this.
  18. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

The picture above certainly looks nicer than this picture that I looked at - still not my cup of tea - too much silver/grey coloring - and hard to keep clean from dust.

[​IMG]

willboy and darkmatter like this.
  19. Don Parkhurst

I think that you need to hear more turntables, if you believe that the only valid turntable above $3000, is a mass loaded table.

Linn is also a suspended table and it goes all the way up to about $25k for the top model. The next models up in the Audio Note line are the TT-3 0.5 Reference and the TT-3 Reference, at about $30k and $90k. Both are suspended and have multiple external power supplies.

When Martin Colloms (British reviewer and Audio Engineer) reviewed the top model a few years ago for Hifi News And Record Review, he claimed that the AN table set a new standard for what is possible from a turntable.

Two design beliefs with turntables; suspended or mass loaded. Right now mass loaded tables are very much the popular flavour. I know as I have a VPI Classic 3. Don't tap it or the isolation platform it is sitting on or the audio stand itself, as you will hear it loud and clear through the speakers! My TT is a microphone.

It is not a silly remark. There are designers and engineers that have a lot of experience in that field that believe in exactly what you are pointing out.

I don't say this because some of my gear is Audio Note. I say it because it's true. I've owned turntables from VPI (twice), Linn, Luxman, NAD, Rega. Linn and Naim promoted the lightweight but rigid stands for all gear, especially turntables - for this exact reason.

I don't worry about the system used in the design, just how it sounds in the end. That is how I'm going to decide on whether to upgrade from my Classic 3 to the new AN table or not.

David Cope and raferx like this.
  20. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Silly or not, having a low mass platter means the bearing can be small as well.

jeff

raferx likes this.
  21. Don Parkhurst

This table is the TT-3 0.5 Reference. AKA 'half reference'. It has been available for a while. The table being discussed is not available yet. Neither will gather any more dust than my piano black Classic 3.

raferx likes this.
  22. missan

missan Forum Resident

I only commented on the quote from AN, and it is silly, the mass doesn´t store and reflect some energy. A higher mass needs a higher force to be accelerated, that´s the advantage.

rebellovw likes this.
  23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Not going to argue with an audiophile - I just do not care for that table. I will say that you do not have to spend 10K to get better isolation than what the VPI provides. My other table has much better isolation than my VPI - it handles footfalls, drunken dancing - w/o any issues where the VPI can definitely skip. You can bang on the isolation platform - and you will not hear anything. Isolation issues can be overcome.

moogt3 and missan like this.
  24. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Wow this thread has derailed both to the left and to the right. I look toward to listening to it when don gets the first one built ;). I will hold all my opinions till I hear it which seems like the smart thing to do.

Btw. David, I heard rafes new speakers. Wow, AN has done a great job with these.

raferx and David Cope like this.
  25. raferx

This is very impressive turntable David, I'm major jealous!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.