New Audio Research LS26 Pre-amplifier

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fmuakkassa, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Interesting beast. What is the reason for such a high balanced input impedance?

Regards
    Robert

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I've had a LS-25 II in my system several times and recently the LS-17. The 17 was much better sounding even at the lower price point. I have heard the LS-26 in a dealer system I'm familiar with and was very impressed.

I think Audio Research is really rockin' with this new JFET circuit design in the new models. I also like the meter they have included for tracking tube hours.

3. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M Thread Starter

I wish I won the lottery. I always wanted to get a High-End stereo system and this forum was the catalyst to finally start the "journey" towards a satisfying music system. I said the "journey" as upgraditis on this forum is very contagious.

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

"more better" :eek: this from the founding father. :sigh: :winkgrin:

5. Tony Plachy

crooner, That has to be one awesome rack if you can have the sub that close to it and not have any isolation problems. :thumbsup:

6. Tony Plachy

If you have very light gear (especially tube gear) that tends to vibrate not only should you have a good isolation base or feet, but it will help if you put something heavy on the top of the gear (be careful not to block the cooling vents). I am not talking about any of these stones or blocks that claim mystical properties, just something heavy to help reduce chassis vibrations.

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Not the case. There are FET's in the REF 1,2. In the input gain stage, prior to the first tube. LS-25MK1 same way. LS25mk2, FET input+gain stage. I'd really like to haer an LS-26 but ARC lost me as a customer with their prior effort.

8. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Certainly. I did add the butcher block to the VPI for extra peace of mind! :D

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

After seeing the MapleShade prices, I'm going to Williams Sonoma for butcher blocks. :D

10. mtodde

mtodde New Member

I totally understand. Congrats and happy listening.

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

12. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Excellent choice Lee. The John Boos stuff is awesome and very cost effective.
    Don't forget the four superball halves on the bottom! :D

13. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Interesting, since both the LS25 MKII and LS26 use the same JFET design and tube compliment. Everytime we talked you were sure to mention the tube tracking capability I think that might be the feature that so endears the unit to you. I spoke with ARC's designer on the unit and even he started that the circut design is the same, and that the major change was in the display, which is why there was only a marginal increase in the cost.

As you know the LS-26 which you were fortunate to audition was ordered for my friend John. Before he had it shipped to him we brought it to my house for the New Years weekend. We swaped my LS-25 MKII for the LS-26 and neither of us could detect a significant difference. Even the output of the unit is identical to the LS-25. Apparently ARC never updated that aspect of the spec on there web site. We pulled out my manual and compared it to the LS-26 all the outputs were the same.

You mentioned that you were looking towards eventually getting the LS-26, let me know and I'll bring my LS-25 over and we can do a comparison in your system.:edthumbs:

15. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Good to know the LS25 MKII is basically the same unit. Great value in the used market, I'm sure!

16. Metralla

Oh, OK.

You know, I did put "John Boos" in the search window and it told me "no results".

17. Metralla

That sounds like our LeeS. ;)

18. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Lee, check out the LS17. ARC calls it their "Baby Ref." I think you might just find it both afforadable enough and sonically worthy of your dream.

19. JMCIII

I can tell you for free that Symposium products work wonders under ARC componets.

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The two units couldn't be more different. There is no tube in the gain stage of an LS25 Mk2.

21. JMCIII

Try Symposium's Roller Block Jr.s - about $169 for 3. Should make a big improvement.

22. JMCIII

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The LS-17 sounded more open in my system versus the LS25 II. Maybe its a synergy thing but I heard more detail and soundstage. This led me to believe the LS26 would be even more special. The Maggies at Ed's store certainly sound more open than on the LS25II. Maybe the circuit design is similar but I'm not convinced they sound the same. The new circuits seem better-many reviewers also feel the Ref 3 is an improvement over the Ref 2. Or maybe its component matching in my system that leads the LS-17 to sound better.

I like the tube tracker since it makes tube replacement cycles more obvious but that's a nice to have versus a more critical additional "openness to the sound".

It may be a while until I get the LS-26 Tom but we can compare the sound versus the LS25 II of yours at that point. :)

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Thanks. Definitely works well on my Maggies with VT-100. I did an in-home audition twice.

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.