New "Beatles At The BBC" book looks promising

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clark V Kauffman, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Since the tapes of the Beatles BBC appearances weren't saved, how do we know we have a complete list of appearances and songs played?

3. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Paperwork. The BBC archived paperwork much more diligently than it archived recordings. Mark Lewisohn was the first to dig into the BBC's written archives and he produced a two-part series for The Beatles Book. (aka Beatles Monthly), detailing all of the BBC songs and sessions. That led to the March 1982 BBC Radio retrospective, "The Beatles At The Beeb."

4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking that, but I figured since they didn't keep the tapes because they didn't see any future need for them, I don't know why they'd keep all that paperwork. Glad it survived, though. Got this new book in the mail last night and it's a beauty.

5. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Look what I got from Amazon today!!!! :bdance::pineapple::pineapple::bdance:

Amazon.JPG

Hep Alien, Robber Soul, Mazzy and 7 others like this.
  6. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

My beeb book should be arriving tomorrow from amazon (I'm ordering the deluxe extended version of tune in from amazon.uk)
    Funny thing about the bbc book, barnes and noble had it in stores on monday, a day before the official street date and I figured since the price on their website was the same as the amazon price, (about 20 dollars less) that I would just get it there and not have to wait for it in the mail. But no, it was the full 60.00 cover price. No new release sale price or anything. With the rate brick and mortar book stores are going out of business you would think it would be a good idea for stores to at least try to compete and offer lower prices then online sites (their own website even) to give customers a reason to actually come in and shop, but I digress.

7. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

So, I wonder if the BBC book will show songs played by the Beatles for the BBC that we've never heard of (i.e. songs that no recordings survive for).

8. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I'm not an expert because I don't have the Great Dane Boot CDs, etc. I believe the answer to you question is no.

There are a few songs that don't appear on the official Cds, such as Wonderful Picture of You and Sweet Dream Baby. These are with Pete Best and only available in poor quality. There are also several songs from the studio LPs that didn't make it to the official BBC CD releases. Then there are things like Tie Me Kangaroo Down that aren't on the official CDs either. All these are available on various bootlegs.

There are some BBC shows that are lost, but only had songs that were played on other BBC shows that are available.

The only Lennon-Macca song previously unreleased by the Beatles is I'll be on my way, which was on the previous Beatles BBC CD and is on the reissue, hopefully in improved sound.

9. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

If you mean "recorded for but not broadcast" the answer is Yes.

DrBeatle likes this.
  10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I got mine Tuesday night at our local Books-A-Million for only $33 total. They bought out two of our old Borders stores. Their online price was actually $36.

Mark

joeislive and DeeThomaz like this.
  11. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

What was the source for the "Beatles at the Beeb" 3-record set one sees making the rounds occasionally? It has a sepia-toned cover, IIRC.

12. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Those are bootleg/counterfeit copies of the original Beatles At The Beeb Westwood One radio special from 1982....which was an expanded edition of the original BBC special. The original special was compiled from existing boots at the time along with the few recordings that the Beeb still had on file.

13. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Got my book in today.......hoping to get a chance to check it out this weekend!
    ------- Chris

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

any difference in the UK and US editions?

15. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Thanks Dugan. I was incorrect. Some songs were performed in BBC studios, but were never broadcast, so neither fans recordings nor transcription discs would have them.

(From Lewisohn's Chronicle)
    -Recording dates)
    Like Dreamers Do -at their bbc audition/perhaps not recorded
    Hello Little Girl -at their bbc audition/perhaps not recorded
    Sheila-10/25/62
    Three Cool cats -1/16/63
    Others?

16. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Something that passes most people by, however, is that they also did two sessions/live broadcasts for Radio Luxembourg from their London HQ in (IIRC) 1962. Radio Luxembourg was VERY popular with pop fans in the UK, due to having no needle time restrictions on records. Never been booted and - almost unbelievably - the station actually wiped most of its OWN ARCHIVE in the late seventies. Yes, REALLY. Off-hand, I recall that one of the tracks was 'Carol'.

slane likes this.
  17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Did I imagine it, or did this book come with a CD?

18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Way back, when the book was initially announced, there was some description that listed a CD that was to be included. But that description was not from the official press release. That misinformation though is what you are probably remembering. It's also possible that the book might have been intended to have some sort of CD (probably it would have been interview stuff; not music). But that was cancelled once Apple made plans to release a new Volume 2 of BBC material along with a remastered set of the first BBC collection. Arnie

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Ahh, that must be it. Thank you very much for your helpful post. :)

20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Spent some time with the book last night. Very beautifully produced, although I've found a few minor typos already. I flipped through the whole thing, and now I'm reading it from the beginning. For those wondering, yes, they still mark the songs (with a diamond) that were released on the 1994 Apple CDs -- but no, they don't do anything similar for the Volume 2 tracks. Vol. 2 is only mentioned in Kevin's intro; it's not mentioned in the back when they list all the important BBC-related Beatles releases. Truth is, it was probably much too late to re-work the book once they knew about Vol. 2 -- adding a line to one page was easier to do. The reproduced documents are fun to have.

My only (very minor) complaint so far: the book SMELLS funny. I'm guessing it's something to do with the varnish on the cover, which is indeed very shiny. I'm thinking if I leave it out of the box for awhile, it will lose its "new book" smell. Overall, very happy -- it's the BBC equivalent of Mark Lewisohn's Recording Sessions book. It's a nice distraction as I wait for the new CDs.

Lost In The Flood and Hep Alien like this.
  21. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

There was also an unbroadcast version of 'Sweet Little Sixteen'.

22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thanks for the quick review.

And I guess that I should practice drawing little "diamonds". This way, I'll have them just about perfect to add them next to the songs once I get the book. ;) Arnie

Simon A likes this.
  23. slane

slane Forum Resident

Are you sure you don't have a Chinese fake? ;)

24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

That's what Letrsaet dry transfers are for. Impossible to find now, and, as fate invariably has it, I junked a colossal box of them about 3 months ago thinking, no-one will ever have any use for these nowadays.

Simon A likes this.
  25. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

My book smells like a book... maybe it's the first sign of something...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.