New Beatles Collectible Magazine at the Supermarket

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zep Fan, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on Thread Starter

It's 100 pages, with the title: Music Spotlight Collector's Edition. Published by Centennial Entertainment.

It has lots of color and B&W photos of The Beatles as they went from the Mop Tops, to the drug influenced stars of the mid to late 60's...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

saborlord123 and Darienzo like this.
  2. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Ok, I don’t how much they can get add to their legend. I like uncut collector magazine special edition

3. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Is this just a "re-badged" version of the Uncut Ultimate Music Guide? (I say "just" not as a negative, it's a great read!)

4. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I don't think it's anything to do with Uncut, but I swear this mag gets reprinted every other year with a different cover.

saborlord123, YpsiGypsy and OobuJoobu like this.
  5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes, these CheckOutLine glossy magazines are very appealing...
    Stuffed full with color photos, detailed analysis, record reviews, timelines, great interviews, discographies with pictures of import record releases...

But the cover prices always turn me off.

forthlin and 905 like this.
  6. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I used to buy these types of Fabs special edition mags but many of them recycle the same photos issued elsewhere and I'm only looking for '65-'66 era pics of which there usually aren't many included in these types of collectors mags.
    I go to youtube now for all Fab pics. The 'Elana' picture collections of that era in particular are incredible

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

They are appealing but in the end, very insubstantial. They're geared toward new and younger fans who basically know next to nothing on the group's history. Not that there's anything wrong with that but for people who have been fans for the last 50 years or whatever, it always (for me)turns out to be a case of, "i gotta get this, it looks so nice" followed by, "this was really a waste of 12 bucks".

anthontherun and lightbulb like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

regardless...still cool to see a Beatles magazine at the Supermarket! Damn cool...

forthlin, Zep Fan and lightbulb like this.
  9. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

The Beatles invented reprinting magazines with different covers.

forthlin, 905 and edenofflowers like this.
  10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

What is it that actually makes this collectible? That it claims it's collectible?

saborlord123 and DK Pete like this.
  11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

This magazine is as Collectible as any Super Deluxe Edition CD box set...
    Only x number is manufactured for sale.

Until that first batch is Sold Out...

12. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Ok

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'm sure I seen that one a couple of years ago.

14. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

It looks like a rebadged Mojo or Uncut to me.

15. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I remember in 1978 for some reason there was a whole slew of magazines about (or strongly suggesting) a supposed Beatles reunion that never happened. One was called "THE BEATLES ARE BACK!" Two years later it was reprinted with some modifications and repurposed as a John Lennon tribute magazine.

16. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

'77 and '78 was when I was getting into them, and yes, there absolutely was a slew of magazines then. Even Marvel Comics got in the act. I had that one and this one as well:

[​IMG]

I'm sure I'd roll my eyes at it today, but at the time it did give me a lot of information.

17. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I noticed the price for The Beatles Forever I just posted is only US$12, which gives you an idea of how much the one in the original post in 40 years' time.

18. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Who actually collects these? Not being rude, but I've owned a few such magazines and while they can be good (Mojo 60s) mine end up dog eared from being pored over in the garden or in the bath :) adored, yes, but hardly wrapped in foil or in an big Ziplock bag and kept away from light and air...

But they're ALWAYS labelled Collector's Edition!

saborlord123 and Aggie87 like this.
  19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I bought this one in 2012. There are a lot of great Robert Whitaker photos inside.

[​IMG]

20. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Nothing advertised as 'collectible' ever is.

21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I've pretty much sworn off on buying those. I have so much paper* on the Beatles it's insane(started 1964) At some point I've either seen those photos before, or I've seen something from a similar photo shoot. Still they are nice, but the text is seldom valuable, and the pics are all on line.

* Note: I do not shave in the dark trying to save it.

saborlord123, MarkTheShark and ToneLa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.