NEW Beatles Releases by the end of the 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikecarrera, Oct 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Except for the fact that the OP posted a photo of it...

Mr. Explorer and StateOfTheArt like this.
  2. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

As it should be. Apple also targets new fans, along with the aging boomer crowd. Why should they, or ANY big label empty the archives in one bash? The companies will still be in business as the years roll on... they ought to be able to continue to profit by issuing remasters, remixes and selectively releasing previously unheard material. Ron

3. And in 2019 or 2020 they probably will. Not far away.

4. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Bummer. An opportunity squandered!

5. jrdiandrea

jrdiandrea Forum Resident

Hopefully an official announcement is forthcoming....

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  6. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

My wife, looking around our house, would beg to differ, but I'm not a Beatles completest. I like the music. I like all the variations of the music - outtakes, demos, different mixes, etc. But I don't care so much about packaging.

To me, the Christmas collection is pure packaging - a manufactured collectible. Getting it may make you feel like you're getting the original flexi-disks, but you aren't. It's a replica meant to scratch a nostalgic itch. I just don't see buying a box to put on the shelf that I'll rarely, if ever, listen to, and hardly ever even look at.

I'd like a one-CD and/or one LP compilation of the Christmas messages. Sure, there are bootlegs, and you can hear the messages on YouTube, but an official version in best-quality sound is needed and serves a historical purpose.

I also think it's possible to market such a release in a way that doesn't mislead "casual fans" into thinking they're buying a conventional holiday album, with the Beatles passionately singing "Silent Night," etc. But if you want to make it mail-order only in order to protect hapless newbies from their own wallets, that's cool, too.

7. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

So could I, not even sure there would be a place to put it. The McCartney archive books I've gone for so far are still stacked on top of my laser printer because I have no extra room to stick them away elsewhere.

Way too much stuff like this that gets looked at once, and never touched again.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. Maybe right maybe wrong. But with that logic, then every vinyl box set that comes out now (and as you know, there are many), is just a manufactured collectable.

These Christmas Flexis are not commercially available right now. Yes you can pay hundreds of dollars on originals, but if you want these records to play at a reasonable price, you are out of luck.. Some of us enjoy these Christmas messages and like vinyl and play them every year along with the other Holiday records that are stored away 11 months out of 12.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  9. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

The sales of vinyl are still increasing. I don't know why you are so positive its now or never? Im sure we will see Beatles vinyl releases in the next 5 years. Easy.

10. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

But don't you think had they included a CD in the box there would have been even louder complaints of, "Why do I have to buy the vinyl box, all I want is the CD!"
    From what I can see from the video it all seems about right to me.
    It looks period right to me. It's not a 2017 looking product. I like that.
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear that doing them all as flexis again wasn't discussed. Probably a wise move to do them in a more robust format!
    I'm curious to know just how limited this is. I'm sure Apple planned from the start that this would have strong appeal to a rare bunch of us. I'm not sure there's a way to suss this out, but I'll bet they figured most everyone buying the box already has a copy of the Christmas Messages. For me, this is a welcomed chance to get an actual released copy.
    Those who think it's silly or disappointing or lacks relevance are not the target audience for this. That's okay. I like that there's something out there for us silly Beatles fans.

11. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Unless it's edited heavily due to copyright issues and political correctness. Then, what's the point? All collectors who will buy this have the needle drops of the originals anyway.

goodiesguy and mpayan like this.
  12. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The bubble may well burst, but I don't see evidence that it's quickly approaching. Quite the opposite, actually.

New vinyl pressing plant to open in Virginia

RandelPink likes this.
  13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It's limited just like the Mono cd box. Yeah that's the ticket

14. I think it would be hilarious if the Xmas box was only sold through the Beatles site like the big Blue Dylan box a couple of years ago and then those who purchased it at the Beatles' site got a huge link to download all the original outtakes for free a month later. Kida the same thing Dylan did. They really would piss people off here. :tiphat:

Mr. Explorer, Simon A and Reader like this.
  15. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Beatles releases are like any product. A price is established for the product and then consumers weigh the pros and cons of the product and then decide if it's worthwhile for them to purchase. They won't be for everyone, but what is?

And, it's like the buses analogy. If a person doesn't care for this Beatles release, another one will be along shortly. :D

Mr. Explorer, supermd and Mazzy like this.
  16. Exactly. Just look at the series of McCartney colored vinyl coming out in a few weeks.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  17. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident Thread Starter

Release date changed, announcement date continues for tomorrow, the new PR just came with the new release date.

18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Announcement on Thursday, eh?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

In my view the Christmas box is being manufactured as a deliberately collectible item.
    • It's a "limited edition."
    • The records it contains are packaged to mimic the originally flexis, which are highly desirable but out of reach for many of us.
    The scarcity and deliberately nostalgic packaging are meant to exploit the desire of some fans to want anything that's different, unique and rare and has the Beatles' name slapped on it.

I view the supposedly "limited edition" mono box to be similarly exploitative, but less crass. It was still mostly about the music, not packaging. Plus, you can/could get the mono LPs separately, if you wanted.

The stereo/remasters box is basically just a typical box set, in my view. You had the option of buying all the LPs in one go with a nice book (and risking some of the pressings being bad), or you could pick them up one at a time. These were original LPs being reissued in new masters on heavier vinyl.

But all this is semantics. Bottom line: Why can't Apple release the Christmas messages in a format that doesn't gouge fans? Or at least provide a "basic" option for those of us who don't need green, blue and yellow 45s to make ourselves feel complete?

20. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

i know a lot of people are complaining about this, but I dont have and never listened to the Christmas stuff, so Im looking forward to it

Mr. Explorer, mrjinks and Saul Pimon like this.
  21. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

A few years ago I ordered something by the Beatles from an Amazon seller and he threw in a CD ROM.
    On it is all 7 of the Christmas flexis with pics of the covers and get this, every page of every issue of the monthly fan club magazines.
    I have searched the web and can't find who produced this, when or where. And it does look to be a professional production.

Dee Zee likes this.
  22. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

I am not understanding why people are even complaining.. IT'S THE BEATLES PEOPLE.

Mr. Explorer and raq0915 like this.
  23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Come out of the closet, Arnold....

24. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

hey I am not being snarky, in all sincerity I belive that is a sound argument

Mazzy likes this.
  25. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I imagine in the long run, it'll be limited to however many they can sell.
    But, I'm guessing the initial press run, will not be huge, but it'll be based on how many they think will sell.
    If it seems the demand is there, we'll see more. Or not.
    Maybe the smart move is keep it low, sell it out and do more next Christmas. As well as a limited CD version (due to popular demand).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.