New Black Sabbath! [Vinyl Box Set] 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fletch, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panicproject

panicproject VinylVinylVinylVinyl

have finally cracked it open. It is a beautiful box. The sleeves, book, posters etc are all of high quality and look fantastic. I am yet to actually listen to the vinyl though as I want a spare 3-4 hours where I can sit back and have a good listen.
    I have loaded up the USB crucifix though. Plugged it into my mac to have a look at the waveforms. They are 16 bit flac files. Wasn't expecting that to be fair, not sure what I was expecting. But i was pleasently surprised to find that there is no brick walling or clipping at all. The waveforms looked as though they had a lot of breathing space.
    Not working tomorrow so will give the debut a spin.

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

If your DAC has MQA decoding capability (some recent machines), the 16-bit FLAC files unfold to hi-res functionality upon playback. However, since the mastering used was from 2009 (pre-MQA), any theoretical sonic benefits from that format/process are limited or non-existent. Does no harm, though, for regular playback on non-MQA devices. If you just want the digital files and don't need the crucifix, they are available for download from Onkyo Music - the entire studio collection box set or the individual albums. Link below.

Hi Res Music Downloads | HD Audio Store | Onkyo Music

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    xaml and Plan9 like this.
  3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Video up today for an unboxing from the folks at SuperDeluxeEdition

4. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

Have you had time to listen to the records? Where have they been pressed at? Do the flac files have high quality cover art embedded in them or separate image files etc? Thanks!

panicproject likes this.
  5. panicproject

Here is info from run-outs on Master Of Reality
    Side A - 144191E1/A2
    Side B - 144191E2/A - GREG & FINYL TWEEK

I have listened to most, not all just yet. They sound good to my ears. A little surface noise on a couple of them in quiet areas. I will give them all a spin clean and re-play at some point.

I have noticed what I feel is an issue on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath LP. The tracks volumes fluctuate to much. They are up and down. Fluff actually seems like its the loudest track on the LP. I need to rip it to wav and look at the overall waveforms for the entire LP too.

Also the labels on Paranoid are incorrect. They are the same labels as the debut LP.

Flac files have embedded artwork. I have only flicked through them but they sound fantastic.

sassi and c-eling like this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Greg Moore (Finyl Tweek) did the recent Leppard Hysteria 2x12 UK as well.
    Greg Moore (4)

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This would be a completely unnecessary item for me - I already have the purple vinyl box of all eight albums that they put out a few years ago and I rarely play it. But, after watching that unboxing video . . . . .

pinkrudy, punkmusick and sassi like this.
  8. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yeah, i don't even really like colored vinyl, but those splatter ones look like great interpretations of the jackets.
    The vertigo labels and poly-lined swirl inner sleeves are really well done!

Plan9 likes this.
  9. panicproject

the box set is beautiful. everything about it physically is much better than the purple one from a few years back. problem is that people are noticing some issues with the vinyl.

10. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

This is getting a bit ridiculous. How many reissues do we need?

punkmusick and CBackley like this.
  11. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

It is a nice enough box and I did not buy the other Sabbath vinyl box which of course now goes for money as this one will when it sells out. I have copied the usb stick but not yet played through it all or the vinyl. Apologies to all but I do not really need anything but the first 5 albums. They all seem fine to me on visual inspection. I was disappointed the files were not the usual high res and I will at some point compare with my other Sabbath high resolution downloads. Sabbath stuff really does sell well which I guess is why the sacd releases from Japan have not been re-licensed for another run - the owners of this catalogue don't need to bother about such small sales.
    I copied the official stick because it quite big and heavy and does stick out from the Oppo player.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  12. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

The Ten Year War box is in Tidal in MQA Master format. I am just listening to it. Sounds good to me! :)

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The reason for the multiple sets is the separate licences; the USA and EU regions are different labels.

The North American set is Warner Brothers, and in Europe the licence is owned by BMG,
    so the most recent EU set has the Vertigo labels on the packaging.

Add to this the fact there have been coloured vinyl editions, new black editions, and box sets
    in two regions, it's a lot of reissues!

14. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

How do the lps sound in this new box set. I have the 2010 rhino reissues of all of these but am still tempted to get the box. I suppose if the sq was better it would make up my mind for me!

15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Are you going to get this boxset?
    Anybody else here who already has it, what's your verdict on this set?
    Especially if you happen to have different pressings I would gladly hear more comments..

Tojo and Frank Field like this.
  16. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

I have the 2012 EU box. I was considering this one until I heard about the wrong labels and weird noise level issues etc. Hmmm. Might still get it though. :winkgrin:

17. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Anyone think the coloured splatter vinyl is not really in the spirit of a band like Black Sabbath?

Joti Cover likes this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Just got a call from my wife that "a very big and heavy box" arrived for me. Heh-heh-heh.

Clanceman and punkmusick like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sound?? Whats wrong with you? These look cool and are on splash vinyl. Thats the main thing now. Im thinking about just framing mine and making a Black Sabbath display table for the cool covers. The cross will be at the center of the display.

Ill play my original vertigos for some background accompanyment I guess.

punkmusick and Frank Field like this.
  20. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Does Pono support this?

21. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I ordered from Amazon.fr in the US. Set arrived yesterday and is awesome!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  22. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

i hope they are better than the colored vinyls they released not long ago. lots of bad pressings in those ones...i have all the albums from 70's pressings anyways.

23. DPM

DPM Senior Member

That album has always had those varying volume levels from track to track. My seventies era vinyl had it as does my SHM SACD.

panicproject likes this.
  24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

No.

25. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

So this set is available from Qobuz in 24/96 for a very reasonable price. Has anyone downloaded it yet? I won't be springing for the vinyl but if the high-res 2009 files are decent I might download it. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.