New Black Sabbath! [Vinyl Box Set] 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fletch, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grippy

Grippy Forum Resident

Has this box gone out of print/sold out already?
    I have a pre-order with amazon.uk since the end of October and it's been showing "Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available" for a few days now.
    I have a bad feeling about this:cussing::sweating:

2. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Awww, love it :love:

3. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

You might be right....I was going to suggest going directly to tenyearwar.com, but they have sold out of all versions of this box. Hopefully amazon have other sources....

4. zenarrow

zenarrow Forum Resident

My only issue(s) with this is the size of the box. Anymore, all these box sets really clutter up my space. And if they are not difinitly great sounding pressings (issue 2) they tend to stay in said box. Taking up precious space.

Although I like the look of the vinyl and great looking artwork. I have learned my lesson on beautiful bootleg vinyl, that is beautifully colored and limited. But honestly, I hardly listen to them as they tend to be less than ideal sound wise.

Then, I bought the Pink Floyd Early Days cd box, and countless other box sets that take up valuable shelf space. I would like to own the latest Bowie box sets too, but same thing. Simple music listening becomes cluttered. If you wanna listen to them they are 10 times harder to get into and then repack them to put away.

Recently I bought a Jeff Tweedy acoustic single lp, clear vinyl, nice listen. But it came with a jigsaw puzzle. .? Taking up about the space of 7 or 8 regarding size records.
    Just two reasons I for one will probably not be getting this. Although it's lovely.

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Amazon US is now showing this as a preorder with release date of Jan 12, 2018, so perhaps they are doing another run? The price is $356, which is really high, but perhaps there will be bargains later if they repress too many copies.

Grippy likes this.
  6. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

I thought this set specifically could not be sold in the US?? Licensing restrictions?

zenarrow likes this.
  7. Grippy

Grippy Forum Resident

Thank you for that!
    I will keep my pre-order with Amazon UK until at least the end of January (nothing to loose) and maybe I'll get a set :whistle:

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It is listed as an import. I suspect a second pressing, but I’m not sure how they’ll manage that since my box is numbered to 3500. It’s also possible that they haven’t pressed 3500 copies yet.

Either way, I think the box is very nice, but I don’t think it’s worth anywhere near $356. I don’t know; maybe it’s an Ok value.

Grippy likes this.
  9. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Currently available on pre order from Amazon.ca at a price of $490 Canadian, so well over $500 with tax. Even at $35 an album that only works out to $280 for 8 albums. Are the extras really worth another $210? Has anyone given a review on the vinyl SQ? Are these better than the Rhino? I can usually source the current albums for under $30. If these were some sort of definitive vinyl reissue than maybe, but if not seems pretty pricey. I also have a nice mixture of U.S/Canadian green/palm tree Warners, Rhino reissues, U.K originals or early reissues and European originals. Can't see dropping $500 plus just as Christmas bills are rolling in.

10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I checked out a few of the 24/96 files and they are the same as the 2012 masterings (available on 2014 download and 2016 CD). They keep mislabeling 2012 sourced masterings as 2009. So far, no hi-res versions of the 2009 masterings have surfaced (if they exist - may've been only mastered to redbook).

This set does have "Evil Woman" in hi-res which is not on the 2014 hi-res downloads as that had "Wicked World".

soundQman, Dino and Plan9 like this.
  11. Mike Riding

Mike Riding Forum Resident

NicoRock, Brenald79, robtodd and 2 others like this.
  12. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Many thanks for the heads up, duly purchased. What a bargain! Especially as I was just considering buying 'Going For The One' from HD Tracks at £23.00 for a 38 minute album!

Mike Riding likes this.
  13. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

i guess you can't buy this from pledgemusic anymore? They had a much better price than amazon.ca.

14. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Check Amazon France 166 euros without the VAT...$217 shipped to the USA.

15. 1973_2fk4

1973_2fk4 Active Member

Hi,
    The USB looks like an iPhone edge connector.
    Is it USB or something different?
    I just ordered mine for 239 Euro...Amazon.de

All the best
    lienot

16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

17. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I bought this. It's now being sold to people in the US through Amazon.fr or UK.

Literally the best box set I've ever seen. People call it "lavish", but it goes slightly beyond that. The USB drive is FLAC at 16/4800 with some compression at the encoding stage called MQA. My new car plays FLAC so I can't wait.
    The vinyl is NUTS. Splatter vinyl.....Never thought I would find myself blown away with the detail they had to do at the pressing stage, but they did it. Some of the Vertigo replica Lps really are mind-blowing; they look like originals.
    The "MONO" single in the box is actually stereo? But big deal.

I found myself stuffing the empty LP cover of Master/Reality with some flat cardboard because it's boxy, 1/3" thick and slightly frail. They put this in the top of the box for a reason.
    I suggest having a few good inner sleeves for NSD and SBS. Paper is sometimes used and it's not good (but absolutely avoidable).

It's a real dream. Best I've ever heard, and I've heard quite a bit. Dynamic, gorgeous, detailed all around. (not like Pink Floyd giving you marbles and a tear of cloth)
    Not a wasted inch of effort. Even the box is heavy and beautiful. The program, comic and hard cover book - all just WOW.

The HD Tracks are still worth keeping though.

18. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Brilliant price! I swooped immediately. I was most interested in the USB stick so the download does the job.

Mike Riding likes this.
  19. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

Is this confirmed?

The previous Sanctuary cuts digital as well?

20. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Not sure, so maybe I spoke too soon. I owned the S/T album that was cut from digital by Ron McMaster -- I thought it sounded great...but a direct-from-tape cutting would probably be fantastic.

21. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

That the Rhino cut? My bro has the ST sanctuary and it does sound amazing. The EURO Deluxe Vertigo CD are far superior then the US WB CUTS.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  22. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Rhino, yes. Excellent sounding LP.

23. mumps

mumps New Member

they did repress another 3000 copies...
    6500 in total.

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This is a nice opportunity for those who missed it the first time. I admit that for any long-time fan (and really, who else is going to buy this?) this is a totally inessential box set, but man, it's such a beautiful item. Prices as usual are all over the place, but that Amazon France price of 199 Euro (166 after deducting VAT), is a great price for what you get.

Plan9 likes this.
  25. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Is there anything more frustrating in lps than Black Sabbath? Is this AAA or what? Will anybody listen to the albums and just say how they sound? i don't mind dropping the $ for the box, pulling the first two, and then putting the rest of the package up for sale, but geez, what's up with this?

Tojo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.