New Bruce Springsteen box, "The Album Collection Vol. 1, 1973-1984" (11/17/2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Sep 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Is the sound quality for each of the 7 albums (CD) better than any previous CD mastering?

dead of night likes this.
  2. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I've decided to wait impatiently for 24/96 files.

3. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

The consensus appears to be yes.

4. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

No. Just Darkness. Those were the only two I bought from there. BITUSA to follow at a later date, it's my least favorite.

5. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

GREETINGS is a clear winner. It's definitely a better source, and the mastering is better than the original CD. The others are a mixed bag.

wayneklein likes this.
  6. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I originally ordered from amazon.ca since they had it at about $56 shipped to the US.

But if you have an FYE nearby you might want to pick it up there. Here are the hoops: They have it onsale right now for $74.99, but you can get an instore coupon for 20% off an item if you text FYE to 33733. You'll get a text thanking you for signing up and then another text with a link to the coupon. You then bring up the link when you're in the store and the cashier will 'redeem' the 20% off coupon on your phone and the coupon will expire. Once your transaction is complete, text STOP to 33733 to be taken off of their 'text' list. All too easy.

Finally price, minus tax, is about $60 -- and you can inspect it and have it in hand immediately.

All still cheaper than Amazon.com in the US.

jh901 likes this.
  7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

What about the 2nd album (Wild, ...)? Is the remaster in the box better than the original US issued CD (made in Japan)?

8. bryduck

bryduck Forum Resident

Hi! If you don't have a texting phone, how can you get the coupon, or can you? (Iow, is there an email address you can type to generate a text message at the other end?)

9. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Better EQ for sure. More body to the instruments. It's a bit louder than the original CD. YMMV.

10. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

I actually picked up the Tracks set a while back but I honestly can't say I've listened to it yet... I really should give it a try. Just a few weeks ago, I picked up another copy of 'The River' (Columbia Japan) at a thrift and played the 1st disc while the system warmed up and I cleaned some records. Once it finished, I put another disc on and the CD away - I just couldn't listen to the rest of it.... Oh well.

I almost pilled the trigger on the' Collection' LP set from Popmarket the other day but reminded myself that I still have a few 'Live 1975-85' box sets that I've never listened to so I talked myself out of it.

11. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

I didnĀ“t compare it to anything else, but "The wild" sounded freaking fantastic on my headphones and is, imho, the best sounding Bruce album I own (listened to the hd files from his website)...

12. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Are you trying to be funny or is that flippant remark just idiocy?

13. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I'm not seeing a version of the promotion that will mail you a link to print off the coupon. You'll need a phone that will allow you to receive a text and access the internet -- the cashier needs to click the 'redeem' button to get a code that they can key in that will trigger the additional 20%.

Do you have a friend or family member with a smart phone that can go with you when you purchase it?

I think the goal of the promotion is for FYE to get your permission to send you six texts a month unless you ask it all to STOP!

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hey, you can call me silly anytime. It's be an improvement over what people usually call me! :D

therockman likes this.
  15. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Dang. I could have saved a few bucks getting it from FYE since I have a BSP. For those without an FYE close by, it's 74.99 at FYE.com and you can save an additional $15 with code GLACIAL. If you have a BSP you save an additional 10%. That puts it at an in cart price of 53.99 not including tax.

16. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I have the original US CDs across the board. Fairly sure none are "hidden" remasters. This new collection is night-and-day better, basically across the board.
    The River and BITUSA have the most massive improvements... The original CDs were thin, bass-free affairs. The new masters are far more detailed and, for lack of a better word, "round." Plus... Actual bass!
    The first two albums are noticeably improved as well, if a bit more subtle.
    The new BTR improves on the 30th anniversary with less compression. The top end is smoother and not as harsh. No extra low end but what's there is more defined. I think those who had issues with the 30th will like this one. Roughly the same volume levels though.
    There are *very* slight differences with Darkness compared to the 2010. You have to really be paying attention to differentiate. Not sure you need this if you have the remaster from The Promise.

I also compared individual tracks to the same ones on The Essential, which I thought was a pretty solid remastering job and not especially loud or overly compressed. The improvement here is more subtle but it's there... Less harshness on the top end, slightly better detail, and a rounder low end. (Especially with tracks from The River. The bass is punchier and more pronounced on this new remaster.)
    Basically, if you liked the sound of Disc 1 of The Essential, that's the whole catalog now, with some additional and subtle refining. If you only have the original CDs this is a massive upgrade.
    I'm still on the fence regarding the vinyl set, but the CDs are absolutely essential for even the casual fan.

Carlox, RoyalScam, Mij Retrac and 8 others like this.
  17. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I got the sampler in the mail today...two songs from each album and was impressed with what I heard. BTR actually separates nicely.
    The gating on the snare in "Dancing In The Dark" is amazing. It rattles for a millisecond and closes before Max hits it again. "Blinded" and "Saints" sound the best they ever have. I'm really looking forward to the whole thing.

18. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Most helpful review yet, thanks for this.

Rodz42 likes this.
  19. meandafoe

meandafoe Forum Resident

amazon.ca is really sluggish with this set. I pre-ordered it 2 weeks ago and it has been out of stock since...the day it was released. really strange.
    It's not a surprise that it seems the new box set sounds better than the original cds but i wonder how the set does sound like comparing to Japanese mini lps from 2005 which I found superior over the first digital releases.

20. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

The cd box, you mean? If so, I actually got in touch with them (Amazon Canada) the other day about this very issue. They said their revised expectation was that it would ship by 29 December. (Which, obviously, could mean earlier...) I expressed my disappointment about that, so they bumped my shipping from standard to priority for free, but that's cutting a week or so off a delay of a month & a half...

21. moops

moops Senior Member

Well, it was kind of meant to be funny.
    Jeez ...... Ok, confession time ...... As you've probably guessed by now, I am also an Idiot.
    Although, may I just say, an Idiot of some regard in certain circles.
    Quite often I read posts and think I've found someone I can relate to.
    Obviously I was mistaken this time.
    I am embarrassed, please accept my apologies.

Picca and Mazzy like this.
  22. Happens to be all of the time here. You can make those comments after any of my posts. :tiphat:

Picca and moops like this.
  23. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Received my CD set from Popmarket today and can't wait to get started listening to these.

Dee Zee likes this.
  24. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Broke down and got the CD set from my local FYE today. Accidently mixed up the sleeves from my Darkness box set and this box while comparing the two. I think I was able to figure out which one was which, and that I liked the 2010 better.

Listening to the first album now and I'm hearing things that I've never heard before. The mud is cleared away. Can't wait to get to The River!

25. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

If you are a "Backstage Pass" member ($25 a year) you'll get another 10% off. If you are a member and buy on your birthday, that's another 10% saved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.