New Bryan Ferry album "Avonmore" to be released in November 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Exciting news!

3. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Found this on a Facebook page:
    Songs:
    Avonmore
    Send in the Clowns
    Soldier of Fortune
    Driving Me Wild
    Loop De Li
    Johnny and Mary (Remaster 2014)
    Midnight Train
    One Night Stand
    A Special Kind of Guy
    Lost

willy and Galeans like this.
  4. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Bryan has been very busy for the past few years. It looks like he has no plans to retire. I'm looking forward to seeing his show in Philadelphia.

e.s. and footlooseman like this.
  5. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Happy news.

Moshe likes this.
  6. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

HeavensAbove likes this.
  8. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Hope it's less over-cooked than Olympia. Real shame about that record - strong songs, great musicians and some great performances, but too much dithering and fixing on the production/mixing end.

RobGordon35 and sound chaser like this.
  9. pghmusiclover

I liked OLYMPIA a lot, which just goes to show how listeners tastes vary!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    agn, 007james, Eric Weinraub and 6 others like this.
  10. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

ah he wants to compete with Pink Floyd (nov 10th).
    These songs sound pretty much like Olympia.

11. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

It does. And of course it's all in my humble opinion. I love the man but I feel he often has a tendency to do too much to records, to let 'the moment' go. Some of his best albums are when he trusts the performance and doesn't tinker too much (Dylanesque for instance); other times he continues adding, subtracting, mixing and fixing until it all becomes a soupy mess (Mamouna for instance). Compare this:

with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4KC9Vr6x7Y

SteveCooks likes this.
  12. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

A case in point would be the single 'You Can Dance". It should have been a Ferry Classic, a number 1, but they over did it, they lost the song's main 'pulse'. Compare this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAOzMYLMFfQ

with this (from the same show as Song for the Siren):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjPKctiEQl4

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I don't expect a masterpiece but if it is as good and enjoyable as "Frantic" or "Olympia" I'd be more than happy:)

e.s. likes this.
  14. I'd rather he get back with Phil, Andy, Paul, pull in Brian (and ask Eddie Jobson to guest) and do one final Roxy Music album. They were not on their last tour.

Don't modernize their sound but go back to basics.

15. pghmusiclover

Sure that would be great, but if that's not going to happen, I'm happy to get some new music from Bryan alone!

e.s. and SomethingAnything like this.
  16. To be honest, while I always welcome new music from Bryan, I'd rather hear good originals.

e.s. likes this.
  17. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I was listening to the links and my first thought was, this guy's stoned. Then I started to hear it. The first one is approaching overwrought while the live version maintains the lush sound Ferry brings to my mind without going overboard.

18. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Oh great, another reminder of how I still haven't got my act together: haven't even picked up Olympia yet.

Shak Cohen and SomethingAnything like this.
  19. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

YES! I don't expect another "Stranded" or "Avalon" and I don't need another "Taxi". Right now a well balanced mixture like "Frantic" would do:)

21. pghmusiclover

Here's a new song, "Loop De Li":

From the Youtube description:

Bryan Ferry's 14th solo album, 'Avonmore', features eight new Ferry compositions plus Ferry's cinematic interpretation of Sondheim's 'Send In The Clowns'. Produced by Ferry and Rhett Davies in Ferry's London studio, the album was mixed by Craig Silvey (Arcade Fire/Paolo Nutini) and features performances throughout the album by many of Ferry's long-term musical partners including Nile Rodgers, Johnny Marr and Marcus Miller. Highlights include the forthcoming single 'Loop De Li', 'Soldier of Fortune' (co-written by Johnny Marr) plus closing track 'Johnny & Mary', Ferry's recent collaboration with Norwegian producer and DJ Todd Terje.

Stephenesque likes this.
  22. Stephenesque

Stephenesque Forum Resident

It goes to show how we all hear different things when we listen to music. Although I love Dylanesque; I even prefer Ferry's interpretations to the originals, Mamouna is my most played Ferry solo album and in my all time Top 20.

I adore Ferry and Eno's tinkering and rather than a 'soupy mess', my experience of the album completely chimes with this review I just found whilst investigating Avonmore:

"Listening to Mamouna is an experience that you can completely immerse yourself in. It is a record that needs to be lived with, its gorgeous layers only truly revealing themselves over time and demanding repeated visits – like a sonic Shangri-La, it lifts you away from the stresses of modern life and gently places you in a luxuriant, whirling soundscape where your surroundings simply melt away, before serenely returning you, transformed, back to earth."

http://www.bryanferry.com/mamouna-history-tab/#history

Shak Cohen likes this.
  23. Stephenesque

Stephenesque Forum Resident

This is the album's running order on the Bryan Ferry page http://www.bryanferry.com/avonmore/

1. LOOP DE LI
    2. MIDNIGHT TRAIN
    3. SOLDIER OF FORTUNE
    4. DRIVING ME WILD
    5. A SPECIAL KIND OF GUY
    6. AVONMORE
    7. LOST
    8. ONE NIGHT STAND
    9. SEND IN THE CLOWNS
    10. JOHNNY & MARY

RobGordon35 likes this.
  24. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

"Your Painted Smile" from Mamouna is as good as it gets. "Midnight Train" has been kicking around forever, great song. Cannot wait to hear this.

25. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Very 80s Roxy. Wish he'd just get back with Andy and Phil and put out another Roxy album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.