New Bryan Ferry album "Avonmore" to be released in November 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Just when I was trying to cut down on music purchases another release I must have comes out. Vinyl on order.

2. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

Yeah I'd like to lock Ferry in a room with 16 tracks on the desk and say, 'Ok Bry, you've got 8 weeks, GO!' I mean he wrote and recorded 'For Your Pleasure' Really fast back in the 70's, and I agree, so much of his stuff is sooooo overworked it vanishes. He's apparantly very self conscious about his work, which is a pity because he's a very talented man. Just needs a kick up the backisde possibly. :)

Max Florian likes this.
  3. RobGordon35

Send in the Clowns? Really?

4. RobGordon35

I thought Mamouna sounded like the mumblings of a man hooked on sleeping pills, which is what it was basically. Listened to that cd once the week i got it and havent since.

5. RobGordon35

Man.... yeah.... God help us. :cry:

6. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I'm not sure that's the real cover. It's actually a picture from 1974!

7. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking! Odd.

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'll buy it, for sure.

Smiths22 likes this.
  9. RobGordon35

The new single sounds pretty good.

10. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

There was supposed to be a Roxy Music reunion at one point and I remember reading that they'd laid-down basic tracks for something like 25 songs. I suspect that Olympia and the new album are [at least partially] an outgrowth from that burst of activity and may encompass even older tracks. As such, I suspect that the new album will be a continuum of sorts.

11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

bocaymon and MarkO like this.
  12. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Yeah! I noticed with a surprise how many members from the band were featured, playing instruments and all. Olympia has some great material and great production.

13. Stephenesque

Stephenesque Forum Resident

Yes, really.

I love the song and I love Bryan Ferry as an interpreter of other people's material, though I can't see this replacing Dame Judi Dench's version in my affections.

RobGordon35 likes this.
  14. Stephenesque

15. Stephenesque

I just remembered that he'd done a BBC Radio 6 interview, and listening to it he confirms that this is indeed the cover, as he felt it 'caught the mood of the album'.

The interview can be heard here, for those who can get it, for the next four weeks. Bryan arrives at around 1:24.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04lc6jc

16. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Looking forward to this now.

17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Looks like the vinyl now has a release date of December 9, 2014 -- at least in the US. Amazon UK still lists November 17, 2014 as the release date there.

18. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Oh that is a stunning version of "Send In The Clowns", really breathtaking and emotional.
    Did you know that the wonderful Dame Judi appears on For Your Pleasure, the second Roxy Music album? At the end of the title track, amidst all of Eno's white noise and loops you can hear the phrase "You don't ask why..." I believe that this was taken from a recording that Eno had of Judi Dench reciting poetry.

Max Florian and Dino like this.
  19. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Looking forward to the new album. I can't believe i just missed his show at the Beacon but more than half the set-list were Roxy Music songs...

20. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Initially, I had a similar reaction, but I've returned to the album through the years and enjoy it. It definitely has a narcotic vibe and I agree with those who say that Ferry overworks his recordings (to the point of polishing the life out of them). But at their best, they're still pretty cool.

I only recently bought a copy of Taxi. I like that album lot.

21. RobGordon35

Yeah... I mean, I really *really* wanted to like 'Mamouna' But just.... didn't. Will have to have another listen now that we've had this conversation. My own personal feeling is that you're right about him overworking everything. I would like to get him in a studio, and say 'Right Bry, you've got sixteen channells on the desk, -no more, and you've got 8 weeks to produce an album. GO!

I have a sneaky suspicion it would work out really fantastic. In the way that For Your Pleasure did, seeing as he wrote and recorded that in a really silly short time frame.

Solace likes this.
  22. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

One of my favorite songs of all time.

Stephenesque likes this.
  23. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

That cover of Johnny & Mary is just unbelievable. Heavenly stuff.

DHamilton, Solace and Smiths22 like this.
  24. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Ferry has said himself that he doesn't know how to stop tinkering with an ongoing recording. I think that when he has no pressure to deliver he really needs an editor, or someone to say stop.

RobGordon35 likes this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wonder if the vinyl release will be a scratch n'sniff cover? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.