New Bryston 8" 3-Way Bookshelf has my Attention

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

A little over a year ago when I was speaker shopping, there did not exist such an 8" based 3-way bookshelf / stand mount configuration. The only thing that my audio heart's desire is missing is that it is a ported design and I long for a sealed enclosure version of this config.
    This one still caught my eye.
    The bass on a well designed 8" driver seems to hit my sonic sweet spot. Punchy, tight and never bloated. Deep enough to never need a subwoofer. Something the best thin towers / dual ported 6-1/2" drivers strive for but never quite achieve. Much better than a 6" woofer IMHO.
    Check out the height of the surround on the woofer. These babies are designed to move air and that is exactly what you need for outstanding bass response.
    In addition you get the clarity of a dedicated midrange driver that brings the imagery and presence and resolution that only a dedicated midrange can deliver. I will never again be without one. These are on my radar big time.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BYMIT&gclid=CNPAubm1jcQCFYY5aQodP0IA0g

2. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Agreed. They look fun!

3. thommo

thommo Senior Member

4. avanti1960

5. thommo

thommo Senior Member

Ah - apologies

6. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I took a serious look and listen at these last year.

The "boss" was giving me a hard time about the size and placement of my Vandersteen 2 speakers.

The Brystons were very nice, however the Vandys, at least to my ears, had more presence and I preferred them over the Brystons.
    In the end, after a little negotiation with the Boss and rethinking placement, I kept my Vandys.

At their price point, the Brystons are a very nice speaker for someone wanting a 3 way with limited placement options. The 8" woofer is also nice as it negates the need for a sub, at least to me.

7. avanti1960

I have never heard the Vandersteens but a friend who used to own them loves them. Rates them as one of the best.
    I could not find a non-appointment audition for them in my area. The critics say they have a deeply recessed midrange, which did not up my motivation to seek them out.
    8" drivers just do bass the right way, IMHO. Not to tubby and wallowing in the critical 50-120 Hz range like a larger driver can be, not too light on the texture, weaker on the output or one note wonders like a smaller bass driver can be, especially ported.

8. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Are they $1,597 per pair, or each?

9. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Bet..don't know if has been mentioned....but the AA price lists is for EACH speaker..not per pair on the T.

10. ServingTheMusic

EACH..a stupid way to list it.

11. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Seems like a lot of money ... $3,200/pr., essentially; but when one considers what equivalent ATC or PMC 3-ways go for, they probably represent good value. I'd love to hear some driven by a Bryston amp.

Re: large(r) mid/bass drivers; I wouldn't be too quick to make judgements about size in a vacuum. The best speakers I've ever heard had 10" drivers (DeVore O/93s). Big Tannoys of the old school ... 12"? 15"? … can be amazing too. No lack of quickness, with the right amplification behind it. Cabinet type has a huge effect, too. I love the "wide-screen" midrange you get from the big cones, too; one can really see into the recording.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Shiver and russk like this.
  12. avanti1960

true. it irks me when sites are purposely vague about this. sometimes the price is per pair and they do not make it clear.

13. avanti1960

agreed that larger drivers can sound incredible if utilized correctly- usually with very low crossover frequencies. example- a 12in. driver is highly directional (beaming) above 1100 hz.
    it's just refreshing to find an 8" woofer among the myriads of 5 and 6 inch typical designs. my friend's father had some EPI speakers with 8's and they sounded incredible.

14. ServingTheMusic

To be fair, Bryston makes it clear prices are per pair..except for center channel and subs.

motorcitydave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.