New Bryston BDA-3 DAC with "SACD input" (DSD over HDMI)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Claude, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I also have a similar system, Denon Link IV between my Denon AVR and Denon blue ray player. Does it make a difference? I don't know, but it sure sounds good.

2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No, there is just a high buy-in price (for a small company) for a HDMI license. Couple that with fear-mongering in the audio press, and it is not surprising that small high-end companies then see no advantage to including HDMI (remember all the anti-USB press a few years ago?).

3. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

But the fact remains that USB is atm the best way to connect digital files from a source to a DAC, In the near future all this will become obsolete once Bluetooth is spread wider and cables and physical connections become less used. There are a lot of advantages en the signal is decoupled from ground issues, hum even Jitter.
    Personally I welcome this development - wireless speakers, subwoofers. Files can be streamed from any portable device (or any Mac/PC with BT). The only analogue input, that will stay relevant is for Phono MM/MC..lol
    BTW
    Read only good reviews on the new Bryston DAC. Besides those innovations performancewise it punches way above the competetion in that price region

4. Claude

Claude Senior Member Thread Starter

Question: Thanks, but it's still not entirely clear, because Oppo players can output DSD or PCM (DSD converted to 24/88) from SACD, depending on the setting. Will the BDA-3 HDMI input accept DSD?

Answer from James Tanner (Bryston): The BDA3 will accept SACD on its HDMI inputs, no conversion to PCM is done.

5. Why won't he just say "DSD"? What he is indicating is that no conversion to PCM is done in the DAC. Well, fine, the DAC can internally convert DSD to analog. But can the DAC accept DSD over HDMI? He is still not answering the question.

This is such a simple question but we are not getting a precise answer. It's like talking to a politician.

mwb likes this.
  6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

One can get from A to B in a VW camper van but, personally, I wouldn't review it on the same thread as a Porsche 911.

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

That being pretty harsh on the Bryston. I'd have given it at least a Golf.

BGLeduc and scobb like this.
  8. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

From Bryston's FaceBook page this morning:

Be the first to hear Bryston's new BDA-3 at Salon Son et Image in Montreal today!

9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Perhaps that's true for "boutique" audiophile brands. Pioneer HT receivers that can accept DSD via HDMI and decode directly to analog (using the same ESS Sabre DAC as the Oppo 105 and Pioneer's own Elite uni players) start at a MSRP of $600.00 (street price $400.00).

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-vsx-1124-av-receiver

I was thinking of buying one of these receivers and hooking it up to my Sony 370 Blu-Ray player (used as a SACD transport). May not (or may) match the performance of an Oppo 105, but it would be fun to find out.

10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I say go for it! Once you've decided Oppo vs. Pioneer, you can give me the one that comes in second!! :laugh:

Billy Budapest likes this.
  11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Next question is
    How much much will this Bryston cost?

If reasonable I may look to one in the future and buy the Oppo 103 instead of the 105

(Though I suppose reasonable for the Bryston is in the neighbourhood of 3K or more)

12. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Any update on this dac?

13. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

When I saw/heard the DAC at the Vancouver Audio Show in May it wasn't quite teady for release, they were still tweaking the software or something.
    Can't recall the exact price but is was in the low 3's

scobb likes this.
  14. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

scobb likes this.
  15. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I'll be interested to see the reviews of this and hope it sells to encourage support for HDMI in stereo DACs! I bought a Primare BD32 so can't see myself needing this DAC now.

"Jitter is reduced to nearly negligible levels" I wonder what that actually that means? :sigh:

16. zonto

zonto Forum Resident

Supposedly, the BDA-3 hit authorized dealers about two weeks ago. Yet it's still not listed on Bryston's site, and I still haven't seen much traffic about it online.

17. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

It's a bit late but anyway...........

The Pioneer VSX 1124 AVR and probably most other Pioneer models use the ESS 9006 (Premier) Sabre 32 DAC

Even the $2.5K Elite SC 99 only uses ESS 9016 (Ultra)

The Oppo 105 and 105D use the superior flagship ESS 9018.

http://www.esstech.com/files/1414/4095/2154/ES9018S_PB_v1.7_140916.pdf

Cheers

18. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Reviews?

19. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Seriously, no reviews? I'm surprised.

20. Zero reviews can mean two things, neither necessarily bad:

1) Bryston has not sent out a unit to the reviewer circuit;

2) Reviewers are taking their own sweet time evaluating the unit, and no reviews are ready for publication.

21. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I just received my BDA-3 yesterday, an I ordered it 3 months ago. They got hammered with unprecedented amount of pre orders.

I know of NO reviewer that received one prior to a few weeks ago. Patience, patience.

I can tell you my initial impressions are that it is outstanding. Potentially the best sub $5000 DAC i have ever
    heard.

Ham Sandwich and Linger63 like this.
  22. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Please keep us posted on your progress. :)

23. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Will do!!

Paired with a BDP-2 file player.

Linger63 likes this.
  24. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Maybe you can sell me your SoTM cheap.........:laugh:

I only have an OPPO 105 and am external DAC less!!! :cry:

25. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

You haven't heard the Yggy yet. :winkgrin:
    I don't know how the Yggy and Bryston would compare. There haven't been any reviews doing a comparison. Would be interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.