(New) Cheap SACD Players?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raq0915, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all! Trying to get into SACD, but cant seem to find a cheap SACD player. I saw that UHP all in one player, but was wondering if maybe theres a cheaper SACD player out there. Thanks

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Check used Raq at thrifts etc, probably going to be your best bet unless you went with that Sony.
    I recently found a Onkyo DV-SP800 for 60 at a local shop, Love it. I personally would try to find something with analog outs :cheers:

3. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Sony has released BD players over the past few years that support SACD (over HDMI). You could probably find one under $100.00

saturdayboy, Gaslight and soundboy like this.
  4. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Most low-end Sony Blu-Ray players still handle SACD

saturdayboy and soundboy like this.
  5. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Good point, those things are easy to find for under 100.
    Are you limited to the types of output? I have an old vintage receiver and kinda want to get into SACD too, but I am not sure if I can hook this up to a dac or what? I know HDMI is digital and that some new receivers have hdmi ports on them, but I am not sure how it would work with a vintage receiver? EDIT: maybe it would be a better choice for me to find a external dvd/cd drive that supports SACD, as I currently use my pc as a digital front end. Not sure if any support this however.

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

For new the Sony UHP is the cheapest thing I've seen @$200. You can use the computer, but if your DAC or Soundcard can't decode DSD, you're not hearing exactly what's on the disc. Depending on your philosophy around DSD downsampling to PCM that may or may not be acceptable to you.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Some Bluray players are HDMI or Toslink output only.

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The cost of the player should be the least of your worries. The discs are where the costs lie.

9. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Sadly, this is no longer true. Also, I know of no SACD drive for a PC.
    The Sony UHPH-1 universal player is among the least expensive options today.

10. timind

timind phorum rezident

@raq0915 If I am right you are a college student on a limited audio budget. My advice if you're going to look for quality sound is keep your eyes on the used market. Craig's list for local and USAudiomart, AudioGon, this site and ebay for used deals.

Bill Mac and raq0915 like this.
  11. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Look for a Sony DVP-NS775V w/ remote. A few used on eBay if you don't mind some cosmetic imperfections for around $50 including shipping.

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a bigger budget then most my age, but yeah, youre probably right

timind likes this.
  13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

That's what I use. Sounds fabulous for SACD. The 5 disc changer version is the DVP-NC875V also worth looking for. Any Sony DVD remote will work.

14. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Cheapskate and new, I thing that ship has sailed.

My old Sony BDP-S380 is still serving my ex-wife to spin the occasional DVD, CD and Blu-ray. She wouldn't know a SA-CD from third base. I would use one of those national Craigslist search engines to find one.

While on Craigslist I would look for and old Oppo or Pioneer universal DVD/DVD-Audio/SA-CD player like my old DV-48av.

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Yeah, apparently the only way to rip sacd to the pc is via a modded ps3 game console. Seems too much work imo, just going to stick with regular old cd's, they sound good enough for me (although i still prefer vinyl imo)

16. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I bought a mint Marantz SA8003 player right here off the equipment for sale forum at a great price. Still using it and love it. You might post a want to buy SACD player on there.

18. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

My best recommendation: just don't mess with SACD. I know it has its devotees but it's kinda pointless in my opinion. Most recordings are PCM sourced, only converted to DSD in mastering… and those same hi res PCM masters are often already available in their native format.

There are those great releases from Audio Fidelity and MFSL but other than those I don't think there are any SACDs of recordings converted from PCM and/or analog masters which could be considered definitive.

My second best recommendation: get an early model PS3. If you insist on playing SACDs, you have a way to do it. You have one of the only machines capable of ripping them if that matters to you. And then you can also watch Blu Rays and play 3 generations of PlayStation games, which means the machine isn't a complete waste of money and space should you get bored of SACDs

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

I see older Sony DVD players that play SACD at thrift stores all the time. Analog outputs and $50 or less.

20. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

+1 on the thrift stores. I had to stop stocking up because I found one at least once a month. The last one I got was for $7.50 (Denon DVD-1930ci) three weeks ago.

c-eling, PhilBiker and sunspot42 like this.
  21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I still have one of these, factory-sealed. Got it for $100.00 new. Hmmm....maybe I should return that UHP-H1 that I just picked up at Best Buy.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  22. timind

timind phorum rezident

23. PhilBiker

I got a BDP-S570 at a Goodwill for $18. It's my main home theater player and does great with SACDs. BDP-590 does service in the living room for CD. DVD, SACD. Sony always did SACD well.

Kristofa likes this.
  24. PhilBiker

Yup. I vowed that I would never leave a player with the SACD logo in a thrift at one point, but at this point they are ubiquitous. One local thrift has a 5 DVD / SACD Sony machine right now.

Kristofa and jeffsab like this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree that used Oppo or Pioneer universal players would be excellent choices. Then you could also play DVD-As and Blu-ray Audio discs (if Blu-ray capable).
    Finding the correct PS3 that rips SACDs is a challenge and they normally go for a hefty cost. The other issues are that older PS3's have loud fans and are known to be unreliable. The older PS3s are not the only SACD players that rip SACDs. The Oppo 103/103D, 105/105D as well as select Pioneer and Cambridge Audio players have the capability to rip SACDs.

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    MrRom92 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.