New Chicago box set due July 22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btomarra, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Below is the tracklisting for the 5 CD box set. The positive note are the three unreleased tracks from Stone Of Sisyphus. But what one notices which is typical of a Rhino box, they make it a large affair (more than enough discs to cover the artist), then give you song edits so they can cram in more album tracks so their boxes end up feeling like too much and not enough at the same time.

Notice that Beginnings, I'm A Man, Happy Man, Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? are once again edited. Probably the same edits that appeared on the 2-CD anthology.

DISC 1: CTA-CHICAGO:
    1. Introduction
    2. Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? - (special edit)
    3. Beginnings - (special edit)
    4. Questions 67 And 68
    5. Listen
    6. South California Purples
    7. I'm A Man - (special edit)
    8. Movin' In
    9. Wake Up Sunshine
    10. Ballet For A Girl In Buchannon: Make Me Smile / So Much To Say, So Much To Give / Anxiety's Momen...
    11. Fancy Colours
    12. 25 Or 6 To 4
    13. Poem For The People
    14. It Better End Soon: 1st Movement / 3rd Movement / 4th Movement - (special edit)

DISC 2: CHICAGO III-VII:
    1. Loneliness Is Just A Word
    2. Travel Suite (Excerpts): Flight 602 / Free
    3. Mother
    4. Lowdown
    5. An Hour In The Shower: Hard Rising Morning Without Breakfast, A / Off To Work / Fallin' Out / Dre...
    6. Hit By Varese, A
    7. All Is Well
    8. Saturday In The Park
    9. Dialogue (Part One)
    10. Dialogue (Part Two)
    11. Just You 'N' Me
    12. Something In This City Changes People
    13. In Terms Of Two
    14. Feelin' Stronger Everyday
    15. Searchin' So Long, (I've Been)
    16. Mongonucleosis
    17. Wishing You Were Here
    18. Call On Me
    19. Happy Man - (special edit)

DISC 3: CHICAGO XIII-HOT STREETS:
    1. Harry Truman
    2. Old Days
    3. Brand New Love Affair (Parts 1 And 2)
    4. Never Been In Love Before
    5. You Are On My Mind
    6. Mama Mama
    7. Hope For Love
    8. Another Rainy Day In New York City
    9. Gently I'll Wake You
    10. If You Leave Me Now
    11. Mississippi Delta City Blues
    12. Baby, What A Big Surprise
    13. Take Me Back To Chicago
    14. Prelude (Little One) / Little One
    15. Gone Long Gone
    16. No Tell Lover - (single version)
    17. Alive Again - (single version)
    18. Greatest Love On Earth, The
    19. Little Miss Lovin'
    20. Hot Streets

DISC 4: CHICAGO 13-18:
    1. Street Player - (single version)
    2. Must Have Been Crazy
    3. Manipulation
    4. Thunder And Lightning
    5. Song For You
    6. American Dream, The
    7. Love Me Tomorrow
    8. Chains
    9. What You're Missing - (single version)
    10. Hard To Say I'm Sorry / Get Away
    11. Stay The Night
    12. We Can Stop The Hurtin'
    13. Hard Habit To Break
    14. Along Comes A Woman
    15. You're The Inspiration
    16. Good For Nothing
    17. If She Would Have Been Faithful
    18. Forever
    19. Will You Still Love Me? - (single version)
    20. Niagara Falls

DISC 5: CHICAGO 19-HEART OF II:
    1. Heart In Pieces
    2. Look Away
    3. What Kind Of Man Would I Be?
    4. I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love
    5. We Can Last Forever
    6. You're Not Alone - (single version)
    7. Hearts In Trouble - (single version)
    8. Only Time Can Heal The Wounded
    9. You Come To My Senses
    10. God Save The Queen
    11. Chasin' The Wind
    12. All The Years
    13. Stone Of Sisyphus
    14. Bigger Than Elvis
    15. Caravan
    16. Here Is My Heart
    17. Only One, The
    18. All Roads Lead To You
    19. Show Me A Sign

Brian

2. sjc

sjc New Member

Rhino seems to be lowering the bar with their recent box sets. In the old days Box sets seemed to aim at both the collector and those looking for a good overview of the artist. This one would seem to miss both markets. There really isn't that much "new" material and it really is overkill for your casual fan who probably has all the chicago they need with the 2 cd anthology. I thought the same has been true with the recent Yes box set..... steve c

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Wow. What a waste. The 4CD is better than this content-wize, if you MUST have a box of Chicago.

Having the normal set of Chicago is a better experience though. Lowing the bar is right. More like release anything willy-nilly.

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Rhino has really changed. WEA seems to have homoginized them. They seem to stick to the tried and true titles and they just sell them over and over again, like the Monkees comps.

Sigh.

5. TimM

TimM Senior Member

This would appear to be a very unnecessary set IMHO. The Group Portrait box set offers a very good over view of the first 10 albums which are pretty much all I ever enjoyed. I also think that the Group Portrait box is still by far the best Chicago has ever sounded on CD. I wish the recent catalog reissues had been taken from that remastering.

6. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Wait until you see the DVD. Ugh.

Mine is a "internal review copy" w/ a promo disclaimer "burned in", so I really don't know if this is The Release version, but the DVD is amazingly untouched, picture wise. It plays like a direct to DVD transfer from two inch videotape, even with the tape house bars and tone and slate !

I haven't had a chance to sample the music, but there are only 3 cuts from their notoriously not released "Stone of Sisyphus" album.

I would have felt it better, if they put the money into releasing a remastered version of the live box set and "Stone of Sisyphus".

How about you ????

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Rhino as we knew it no longer exists. It's now merely WEA's catalogue division. :(

8. sjc

sjc New Member

To make matters worse, two of the three "Stone" titles are available on a cheapie Canadian Hits anthology called Overtime which is readily available in most mall FYE stores.... steve c

9. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

I think I'll stick with my Portrait Box unless we get a major mastering (positive) suprise!

10. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

I don't get it. Hardcore fans will have the individual CDs that they want. Casual fans will already have the excellent 2-CD overview. Who exactly is the market for this? People who will spend $$$ for three Stone of Sisyphus tracks?? Hope this isn't a market test for releasing an SoS CD!

- Joe

11. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I'm bitter that I have to spend over fifty bucks for the DVD with the Chicago 13 promo film! I haven't seen that promo since I first got HBO back in 1980!

12. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

I don't know about the current availability of the "Live in Japan", japan only cd, but my recollection of it, is, that it's worth the price, and money better spent.

Track down a copy of "Stone of Sisyphus" too...it's worth it, if not just for the collectibility.

I'm still "holding out" for the "Carnegie Hall" set !

13. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Here's the story on the box from the band's website..with a look at the artwork...

The Ultimate Chicago Retrospective

Five CD's plus a Bonus DVD exploring the depth and breadth of their incredible career.

The only comprehensive Chicago boxed set to date covering their entire 36-year career!

Over 100 career-spanning songs encompassing full album versions, single edits, greatest hits, band favorites, and more!

Includes three previously unreleased tracks from the fan-requested Stone of Sisyphus project: "All The Years," "Stone Of Sisyphus," and "Bigger Than Elvis."

Includes a bonus DVD with rare live performances from the Aerie Crown Theatre in 1972, and a promotional film from Chicago XIII from 1979.

Detailed track-by-track information including original credits and chart information.

Produced with hands-on involvement from Chicago themselves.

Massive deluxe booklet packed with archival photos.

In-depth liner notes from two prominent writers: Part 1 by Phil Gallo and
    Part 2 by A. Scott Galloway.

3 1/2 hours of brilliantly mastered music!

CLICK HERE to go to the Rhino information page and pre-order The Box now. Delivery will be timed with the July 22, 2003 release date.

http://www.chicagotheband.com/whatsnew.htm

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I didn't go to the website, but I hope that this was just a typo. With 5 cd's and the tracklist provided, there is obviously way more than 3 1/2 hours of music. I wonder how the rest of it was mastered?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.