NEW David Bowie album: Blackstar (January 8, 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I am saddened. That release is a disgusting price and is again a blatant cash grab!

oldturkey and scobb like this.
  2. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

oldturkey and Phillip Walch like this.
  3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

My thoughts exactly, they're milking the stuff incrementally instead of putting the 4 tracks on a true Blackstar deluxe, which of course could still become a reality as well...

oldturkey likes this.
  4. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

The No Plan EP is identical to the second CD of the Lazarus soundtrack, I believe.

Curveboy and stem like this.
  5. Phillip Walch

I love that picture of him and I would love to hang it in his memory but I can't help but feel like we are being ripped off in a very sinister way by Parlophone here. The picture is designed to hook us all into an emotional purchase and making it 'made to order' and numbered where normally these things are just 'limited and numbered' to say 1000 makes this that little bit more accessible.... but at a price. A very, very wrong price. I have supported DB since I could hold a paper round but if this is the way forward then I am out. Just my thoughts on this release and I hope all of you buying it enjoy it very much. I have the songs on the Lazarus ST so I am good.

oldturkey likes this.
  6. Mark Mc Guinness

Mark Mc Guinness Forum Resident

Which I already have and will do me just fine.

pobbard likes this.
  7. footprintsinthesand

1050x700 hang him on my wall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    stef1205, e.s., Solace and 9 others like this.
  8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Here’s the non-vinyl version, available for free streaming (but no physical fondling or ogling) in Apple Music:

[​IMG]

9. Phillip Walch

Awesome! thank you :D

bob60 and footprintsinthesand like this.
  10. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

There's a thread for the No Plan EP here. You guys can whine about the horror of the lithograph price over there too if you want. I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread but Bullmoose has a colored indie exclusive listed as well.

11. footprintsinthesand

[​IMG]

scotth likes this.
  12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

And then it would match the album color, too.

13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

And it IS Blackstar.

soundQman likes this.
  14. AnalogJ

Y'know, when I picked up the Barnes & Noble exclusive pressing of Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker (a stunning album) pressed on white vinyl, I wondered to myself whether I really do want it darker, that is, pressed on black vinyl.

15. footprintsinthesand

Does anyone know from other pressings whether the laser etching on the vinyl B-side could have any effect on sound quality?

16. AnalogJ

None. There's no music on that side. There are, I believe, 4 tunes on side 1. Instead of a groove being cut into side 2, it's just the etching.

17. xccxxx

xccxxx New Member

There was quite a nice remix of I Can't Give Everything Away posted up here a couple of weeks back that's worth a listen - David Bowie - I Can't Give Everything Away (Farewell Mix) - [uncredited] . Not sure where it's from, but whoever done it obviously had access to the isolated vocal track of the song. Maybe it will show up on an upcoming Blackstar expanded edition!

stef1205, jfeldt, tin ears and 2 others like this.
  18. footprintsinthesand

Grammy ★ harvest

David Bowie wins 4 posthumous Grammys

I hear you say, well how important are the Grammys then, all things considered ? The article has your answer:

"Before Blackstar, Bowie had only earned one Grammy in 1985, for best short-form video for Jazzin' for Blue Jean" :winkgrin:

Plus Maria Schneider won the jazz arrangement Grammy for Sue last year.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    stef1205, e.s., Tanx and 6 others like this.
  19. Samcj

Samcj Well-Known Member

I've read rumors that Trent Reznor made it and uploaded it anonymously as a tribute to his old friend/mentor, and it sounds like he could've done it.

20. footprintsinthesand

bob60 and pobbard like this.
  21. AnalogJ

Chris Bernhardt and Rooster_Ties like this.
  22. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

It took me about two seconds to decide to add this release to my "ignore list". Since Bowie died things have gone crazy - sellers ramping up prices on second hand vinyl, officially reissued different coloured vinyl with no new material, a much heralded TMWFTE OST that turned out to be incomplete and released in different parts, and having the Blacksar extra tracks being welded to the much detested Lazarus musical ost to force us to buy it (and whose very presence is burning a hole in my cd shelving and into the back of my brain), thus unwillingly contributing to it's undeserved acclaim.
    £45 for a 12 inch ep is a corporate surreal horror show. Yes folks - everything you thought was true about the record industry really is! They really do treat the record buying public as cash cows (or should I say SHEEP). Well, they can all go eat s**t.

As for the Grammys, there's no way they should belatedly be giving Bowie 5 awards just for being dead. It's too late. It should have been Aretha awarding him Best Artist That Ever Lived in 1975, not making an obnoxious joke at his expense in front of millions of people.
    She should have had more class.
    And don't start me on about Beyonce and Adele. Both are hyped up over-emotional exhibitionists benefitting from group-think brainwashing.
    There, now I'll have a bit of a lie down.

Runicen, MadamAdam, tin ears and 2 others like this.
  23. footprintsinthesand

That is one hell of a statement. And I'm sure you meant she could have done that in 1975 and not even this sunday.

But honestly, the recording and music industry milking to the max is nothing new. The fact that Bowie Inc seems to be leading the masses is most disturbing.

24. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

It pis*es me off when artists get awards just coz the've died. I like Blackstar as an album, but there's no way it's 5 Grammys better than STS, Diamond Dogs or any of his 70s albums. Scary Monsters, 1.Outside and Earthling are better albums too. They're just awarding him for being dead and coz they're feeling guilty for their snobby attitude ignoring him for all those years when he was at the top of his game and showing everyone else to be 2nd class.
    If they had given him the award for "Best Choreographed Expiration in Rock" it would have meant something. All he got while he was alive was an award for the Blue Jean video which was Julian Temple's. At least he got a couple of Brits while he was alive.

It just goes to show that awards mean bugger all.
    I just laugh as Adele conquers the world with vacuous emptiness.
    "To date, the best thing about Adele has been her personality, her continuous swearing and the fact that she was a bit on the fat side and didn’t give a **** about it."
    Why I hate Adele's vapid, deathless ballads | Coffee House

Bowie Inc is really turning out to be showing the most and worst corporate greed repeatedly rehashing the same material in different packaging. I am a bit ashamed, and although Bowie did play his part in that leading up to his death it seems to have gone crazy over the last year. Even I have stopped buying most Bowie reconfigurations. Give me the full Last Panthers mix of Blackstar on vinyl and I'll go for it though.

25. footprintsinthesand

Quite right, them Grammy folks are trying to buy off their burden of shame for ignoring masterpieces.

Yes BowieInc are in lazy fill the shelves mode. Even Visconti must be frustrated 'bout the time they take to release his mixes. Hope they dump Parlophone and find a label with dedication, creativity, high audio standards and guts.

oldturkey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.