NEW David Bowie album: Blackstar (January 8, 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Fine by me, especially since you missed my point entirely. Which is: The emphasis right now is clearly on making the back catalogue available -- in multiple formats -- and the other material will likely be released around that. I don't think I said anywhere that digital buyers "will have to lump it" -- when the special edition material is released, I would imagine it will be made available in multiple formats. But the thing you seem unwilling to admit / understand is that not everything is done with the long-time fan in mind. I am in the same boat as you -- with the exception of the Black Tie / White Noise, I already had every Bowie album on vinyl (and CD, in many cases) before the current reissue series began -- I just don't have a particular problem with all the albums being released ahead of digging deeper into the archives.

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I've always hated buying Soundtrack and Cast albums to get one or three tracks by an artist I like, with the rest being filler rubbish or stuff I don't want or like. I much prefer pure one-artist singles and EPs and am happy when they are made available like this latest posthumous Bowie release.

e.s. and scotth like this.
  3. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Agreed, but to retain any integrity they should have released the EP first, before they stuck it onto the Cast Recording if they really were determined to do it. As it is it just looks like it was released this way to boost sales of Lazarus which nobody wanted.
    As for being forced to buy - there's a lot of record collectors out there who have multiple copies of the same tracks because they have been made available in different formats. That's exploiting the Cash Cow and is why the music industry has such a dreadful reputation. People on this site can carry on attacking me for wanting Bowie's "Legacy" to be treated with a bit of class and dignity. I'll stick with my opinion on the matter.

4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Well said, I agree. Although re your last line.. it's unfortunate that only 3 of the 2015-2016 CD reissues are anywhere near good enough to be a mastering of choice. Those being the jolly good Pinups 2015, Man Who Sold the World 2015 and Diamond Dogs 2016. The others are all ultimately failures**, from being slightly but noticeably source flawed (Hunky Dory) to being a dire near brickwall job (Station to Station).

**Young Americans 2016 I don't know. Haven't heard it yet.

5. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Putting different versions of things out for people to buy, without the cheapest being available first is "exploiting the cash cow"? Do you really think employing the marketing scheme of bonus tracks that people want tacked on to a less desirable release is unethical? Do you really think it is reasonable to expect a huge corporation to try to make sure that the people with no willpower who "have to buy" everything they put out don't spend too much money willingly buying things they sort of didn't really want to buy? Baffling.

e.s. likes this.
  6. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

That is a very long sentence.

iloveguitars and Rooster_Ties like this.
  7. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

For the 4th time? How many are needed?

Curveboy likes this.
  8. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

We'll get Blackstar Extra with the No Plan tracks included sooner or later. Maybe with another different shaped star on the cover and an expensive strictly limited to 10,000 Blackstar banknote lithograph.

9. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Which you also won't be obligated to buy.

10. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Sorry, if I send it to my editor and repost it, will you be interested in responding to any of the content?

e.s. likes this.
  11. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I don't think it's reasonable to continually rerelease the same tracks on different compilations. Why is it happening? They know it will sell because in this climate (post mortem) anything with Bowie's name on is selling. Doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do ethically or commercially long term. Look at what happened to Elvis.

12. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Compilations? The EP tracks were released to help sell a cast recording that was never going to be a very big seller and now they are being released as a stand alone EP. Now, the many people who have no interest in the cast recording can buy the tracks in a physical release. That's it. There is no negative. The only people who lose are the ones who bought the cast recording only for the bonus tracks because they incorrectly believed there would never be a stand alone release. Oh well, they could have waited to save a little money.

Why would someone buy both, other than that they want both, so what's wrong with that? I'll never see the negative in more choices. I think it would have been a much more negative business practice if they never released them physically except as a bonus to the expensive cast recording.

What happened to Elvis? Pleading ignorance here.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  13. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Buda likes this.
  14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

15. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Blackstar might be my best album of the decade pick? Still enjoying every listen. Can't see anything surpassing it but would be great to see a few albums come close.

16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Kate Bush's live Before The Dawn set is up there for me along with Blackstar.

Just below those two, though, might be Case/Lang/Veirs, last year's trio album by Neko Case, KD Lang, and Laura Veirs.

17. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

Collecting records is a different thing...

They even used the same LP stampers for the vinyl edition of the EP - all 4 songs squeezed onto one side, at 33 rpm only. A really good EP should run at 45 rpm, with maximum groove width and amplitude...

Anyway...
    I like the Black Star album, I don't care so much for the EP.

I would like to have a "deluxe" edition, with the EP tracks and the alternate recordings issued on the single before included, remixed into 5.1 surround.

Best regards

oldturkey likes this.
  18. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

It was nice when they released Heathen and Reality as 'limited' double cd discs, but to entice people to buy singles they had to save tracks as 'B-sides' as they used to be called. It's a shame we don't get the Super Deluxe version on day of release, but then we wouldn't have extra tracks to look forward to. I actually prefer the No Plan ep tracks to Girl Loves Me which I really dislike and skip when I play Blackstar.

I agree with you about the vinyl 12" - I don't know what they were thinking releasing a 12" and not using its potential. I was surprised they put a stupid etching on one side at the sacrifice of sound quality. I mean that's the whole point of a 12" single isn't it? That's why they're good to have compared to LPs.

19. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

Oh...
    I was refering to Sue, the version issued on the 10" single, before the Blackstar album was released.

I would like to have all these Blackstar related tracks issued on a "deluxe" reissue of Blackstar. With a better, less compressed remastering.
    And, with all the tracks remixed into surround sound.

JediJoker and mikaal like this.
  20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Bowie was always a little hit or miss with me, although the stuff that was a "hit," I loved to pieces, Blackstar being a fine example. Tremendous album, one of his top 3, IMO. The title track and Dollar Days are two of my favorite Bowie songs ever, and I Can't Give Everything Away is absolutely crushing when you consider it was written by a man who knew he was dying.

gregorya, Ken.e., e.s. and 1 other person like this.
  21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yes, but 4 relatively short songs on one 12 " side is hardly "squeezed." 18 minutes total running time.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Ken.e. likes this.
  22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yeah, it's just a standard LP side. The sound quality is no worse or "squeezed" than the Blackstar album itself.

JediJoker likes this.
  23. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I bought the Cast recording for the EP, I actually liked the cast recording more the I thought I would. Some great versions of a few songs that really change the arrangements. I've put it on few times now instead of the EP.

Rooster_Ties and Beaneydave like this.
  24. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I don't agree with you there. For me the Lazarus ost is unlistenable, while I think the ep tracks are wonderful. Lazarus ost should be retitled 2.Contamination IMO .

Vaughan likes this.
  25. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Horses and all that, I am a huge fan of Michael C. Hall so it was a day one for me but I love the Cast OST and was surprised how much I really enjoy the interpretations.

Ken.e. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.