NEW David Bowie album: Blackstar (January 8, 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

One thing with this album was the early jazz fusion thing labelled about. I find the album more easy listening, that's not to say that it's a bad thing.

2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

for me the majority of the OCR is either poor karaoke or misguided interpretation, but presumably "worked" in the context of the play. i had no interest in the play, so i don't anticipate playing the OCR again, but that's not to say every song/performance is without merit. i've heard covers of bowie's material i like, but i've never heard one i like more than the original... so ultimately this was destined to fail once separated from its theatrical framework. that said i think the EP is weak even as a "bonus disc" and reminds me of the woeful half-baked selections on The Next Day Extra. putting it out as a standalone in assorted formats and editions only makes me like the songs less (i.e. as "bonus tracks" they seem less open to critique). i'm not a big fan of Blackstar the album, and while i of course understand the demand for an expanded edition, its impact can only be diminished by further dilution.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

this obviously proves there are other ways to approach the OCR. i like Michael C. Hall too, although not at a "huge fan" level. had an actor i admired more taken on the challenge i'd have had a "way in" that would be less defensive towards the work. similarly when an artist i like covers Bowie, i'm going to be more forgiving than if someone i dislike does so.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Phillip Walch likes this.
  4. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

That is a good point, MCH was for me a 'way in' to the release. I guess others don't have a way in in the same way. I for once was not looking at a David Bowie project as just that, it was nice for me to take in some Bowie through the eyes of an actor I adore.

5. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Agree with you there 98%.
    Michael C Hall is quite a good actor, and I liked his series Dexter - he played a psychopath convincingly well, but when Lazarus was staged I noticed that people were saying how uncannily Bowie-like his voice was, which was just blatant fawning nonsense. Then people were saying what a beautiful rendition of Heroes there was on there, but it totally trashed the Bowie original to my ears.
    The only reason those 3 unreleased Bowie tracks were added to the Lazarus CDs was to FORCE people to buy the OCR.

Regarding covers, I really like the Bauhaus version of Ziggy Stardust, in fact I prefer it to the Bowie original. Lulu's TMWSTW is not bad and the Polecats JIOD is a laugh. Billy MacKenzie does an interesting Boys Keep Swinging, although the original is in my top 3 Bowie tracks, so obviously I prefer it, but I agree that Bowie is almost impossible to cover well.

6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

One really good one would be nice. The latest may be as good as it gets.

D.D.

7. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

The Association track is really weird , a strange mix to say the least, almost a demo that was never fully mixed. I heard it on a Bowie tribute from Uncut magazine around 2003 , which is pretty good. Without going to the basement it had Boy George doing Starman, Duran Duran's version of Fame which I quite liked , that child chorus's group version Space Oddity.

8. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I think Bauhaus's version of Ziggy hasn't dated as well as the original (if you had asked me in the 80's/90's I'd have agreed with you).

I always imagine David Byrne singing Fashion when I hear it and feel that a Talking Heads cover of the song would have been perfect (and subsequently better)? Sadly we will never know!

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, I could totally hear that working.

Tyler Chastain, Ken.e. and JediJoker like this.
  10. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I think my heart's still in the alternative/goth 1980s. It has never faded for me. The live OGWT version is even better.
    Agree about Byrne.

scobb likes this.
  11. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Lots of good David Bowie covers, I personally always prefer a reinterpretation rather then a strait cover like Tori Amos' After All. If an artist does a cover version that tries to sound like the original I'll take the original.

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I was horrified by the Lazarus OST. I just don't get it at all. It's so poor.

Surprised they haven't done anything, Deluxe Edition, of Blackstar to this point. I suppose it is selling enough numbers alone not to rush it.

oldturkey likes this.
  13. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Yeah - I was expecting a deluxe box - I don't see what's stopping PARLOPHON£.
    Blackstar itself was a cut down track and it would be nice to have the full version - maybe on a 12" single release on BLACK vinyl.
    Maybe an extended Last Panthers mix could be on the B side.

footlooseman likes this.
  14. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

15. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

That's the thing about Blackstar. It's so much better than it needed to be.

16. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Given the context in which it came out, it could never had been my favourite album but there’s a decent argument that it’s objectively his best.

warewolf95, JediJoker, chaz and 6 others like this.
  17. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

18. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

After all this time, I'm still not sure what a "Blackstar" really is. Does anyone have any possible opinions or insights? I'd love the hear them.

19. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I'm surprised there still hasn't been a deluxe edition with the No Plan tracks plus a DVD/Bluray of Lazarus/Blackstar clips and a 5.1 mix!

20. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

It's named after cancerous lesions called "Blackstar lesions". Which makes it even more poignant and clever.

21. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Okay, but why would a cancerous lesion be saying things like, "I want eagles in my daydreams...."

22. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Yeah and while we're at it why would the Jean Genie live on his back?

23. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Dreaming about eagles is about victory in many ancient cultures. Could be quite literal that death being the victor is not so bad if one is prepared and ready to face it.

Eagles are courageous, free spirited, messengers from the Gods, Kings of the sky.

Diamonds are the only precious stone that can exhibit light in total darkness and there a re many references to diamond eyes in ancient literature.

24. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Because not everything is literal, maybe?

25. George P

George P Notable Member

To make ends meet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.