New david bowie song / major compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richard a, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richard a

richard a Forum Resident Thread Starter

A 3CD compilation covering 50 years of Bowie's music is to be released in November.
    Called Nothing Has Changed, it works backwards from a brand new song called "Sue (or in a season of crime)" all the way back to his first ever single "Liza Jane". It seems to be mainly single edits and mixes, with a few oddities and gaps (nothing from Tin Machine for example) and for the hardcore Bowie fan there's not a huge amount to get excited about bar the new song. This song will also be available on a single with another new track on the b-side though.

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/nothing-has-changed-collection-features-new-bowie-track-53411

Razer and theMess like this.
  2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

another cash in ! I think I will pass this on!

mikew and Halloween_Jack like this.
  3. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Backwards = annoying

d.s.l., Fullbug, shaboo and 1 other person like this.
  4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Hopefully a precursor to a proper, consistent reissue of the 1969 (Space Oddity) -1982 (Baal) RCA years, which is all that most people care about in 2014.

subtr and Andrew like this.
  5. inigo jones

inigo jones Forum Resident

There's a link to Sony legacy at the bottom of the page, so maybe some decent mastering possible.

6. duggan

duggan Senior Member

... Up the hill backwards

goodiesguy, mooseman, theMess and 3 others like this.
  7. BlueSpeedway

Aw, c'mon, it's just what music fans need, another Bowie compilation. Right on! Why can't The Who catalogue be more like Bowie's. Compilations are neglected there too...

;-)

8. BlueSpeedway

Sony Legacy maybe will start a superdeluxe series for the 1969-1982 albums, using some of the guys who work on the respected post-2007 mastering of Presley's RCA catalogue for them.

botley likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Blu Ray video music comp.

10. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

His output from "Outside" to "The Next Day" is licensed to Sony Music Entertainment, while most of his previous work (from "Space Oddity" to "Buddha of Suburbia") was licensed to EMI in Europe, now Parlophone/Warner Music. Does this mean that all of his catalogue is going to be under the Sony umbrella, similarly to what Paul Simon did a few years ago, and that we'll have brand new reissues in the future (remastered by Vic Anesini or Mark Wilder)? Wishful thinking.

PH416156 and theMess like this.
  11. alexpop

Early up to Scary on SACD would be ideal.

vonwegen likes this.
  12. richard a

richard a Forum Resident Thread Starter

The fact that all this stuff is now, apparently, under one umbrella bodes well for a major reissue programme from the very beginning of Bowie's career. I believe that his contract with EMI has now expired, so it seems that all this is now licensed to Sony.

theMess and red corner like this.
  13. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Need to know more about the mastering.

14. alexpop

More meh, than yeah.

15. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

Where's "The Laughing Gnome"?

Its a rip-off but I'm a mug and I'll still be placing my order anyway.

longaway, Haristar and theMess like this.
  16. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Down the hill in reverse.

mikaal and Fullbug like this.
  17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

One of those bonus tracks, 'Tis (A) Pity She's A Whore, is named after a relatively obscure, rather violent John Ford play about brother/sister incest, first performed around 1630. Weird.

18. BlueSpeedway

It's not obscure, it's really famous. I studied it at college in 1988, it was on the compulsory syllabus alongside Shakespeare and other more modern English and American literature.

What's weird about him referencing it? Bowie's songs over the past 45 years are hardly Disney or "Hey Mr Postman". Look into the obvious or subliminal crux of older lyrics like "Candidate", "Sweet Head", "She Shook Me Cold", or more recent ones like "Pretty Thing", "Dirty Boys", the violence/sex/death/murder imagery throughout the "Outside" album, his cover of Pixies "Cactus".. these are dark, dirty songs...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  19. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Well, I guess it's famous if you've studied literature at college! :)

longaway and Fullbug like this.
  20. BlueSpeedway

:) Well, studied briefly, I quit after 3 months. Music and girls were more important :)

Fullbug likes this.
  21. windfall

windfall Senior Member

ha ha! I never left... English literature degree... PhD in poetry... English lecturer... drama and film lecturer... Still manage to find time to listen to music and I have a lovely wife! :)

krlpuretone and BlueSpeedway like this.
  22. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Hopefully, this is just to whet the appetite for teenage fans who came on board with "The Next Day". Perhaps a new record is on the horizon?

drasil and theMess like this.
  23. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Where's the vinyl reissue campaign of the classic albums? He should learn from the Beatles and the Led Zeppelin catalog reissues how to manage his back catalog!

24. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

I notice the original single mix of Starman will be included. I don't believe that's ever been released on CD before.

There will also be a vinyl version of this compilation...

sonnyrock, NOS300B and scobb like this.
  25. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

"John (I'm Only Missing)"

lbangs and Echo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.