New david bowie song / major compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richard a, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Thanks jhm. That illustrates exactly how the Nassau Coliseum concert from the Deluxe CD sounds to me - unlistenable.

It has been several hours and no "listen with your ears", "those graphs mean nothing" or similar comments that are so popular, on the forum, these days. Like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

jhm likes this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Well, there is some truth to that...DR numbers are meaningless when it comes to SQ, certainly reviewing the waveform tells you more of the story. But I've certainly heard my share of music that sounds great but looks terrible...even on this Bowie set.

3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Yep, drop it may! I can only say my ears want to leave my head when I listen to the CDs (especially with head phones on). To me (at least) the LP rip is listen-able.

TeddyB and Dino like this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That looks abominable, I don't need to ever hear it with my ears. Why must they do that to great music? And these people get paid to do that....

Dino likes this.
  5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more. While it was said that DR scores don't always tell the tale, for the sake of the completists, the overall DR for the LP release of Nassau '76 is 12 while the CDs are...7!!!

JeffMo and Dino like this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I guess I have to take the DB comp out of the player now and spin the new cds that arrived today in the post!

7. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Sounds like we are wired a bit differently, Curveboy.

I find that heavy DR compression is at the top of the list of sonic characteristics that can ruin the listening experience for me. I find a high correlation between the dynamics I hear in music and DR ratings. Enough correlation that I find it useful. Not 100% - but what is 100% in life? Meaningless for you but not for everybody (at least not for me).

Solace, karmaman and scobb like this.
  8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

This should be a hanging offence to do that to a piece of music.

jhm likes this.
  9. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

not sure there's enough rope.

Dino and jsayers like this.
  10. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

The "graphs may not always mean what they look like," but those Nassau CD's were a disaster. When something is brickwalled like that, we're not talking about an iffy DR rating because of added bass, we're talking about completely crushing the dynamics. This seems to happen a lot with live recordings, especially reissued older ones, where the dynamics might not be a selling point to begin with. I would love to hear the Santa Monica promo CDR before they beat it down but I've never found a copy or a download.

The early years CD of this comp sounds relatively good. The recent years (CD1 on the deluxe) sounds like what it is -- modern "pop" verging on EDM.

No Static, GetHappy!! and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I needledropped the vinyl and sadly it does not sound much better. The Ryko tracks, as previously mentioned, are far and away superior.

Tim

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There has not been a 'proper' Bowie compilation (we'll ignore 'the Collection') since 2002, that's 12 years. Since that time Bowie has released more material, which he thinks should be on a compilation like this.

How it works is that since 2002 a whole new generation of Bowie fans has been created by sheer demographics, young people that were very young in 2002. This new compilation gives them a chance to buy a career spanning set and perhaps discover stuff they have not heard yet. Of course it's not aimed at 40+ fans that have had years to accumulate all they need.

Added to that Bowie has gone through a bit of a re-birth (in the UK especially) with exhibitions, documentaries etc. Now is the perfect time to release a set like this.

If you don't agree then obviously the simple answer is to not buy it, but I don't see any valid point for bemoaning it's existence.

13. Darby

Darby Forum Resident

Perhaps your right, perhaps though the only audience who are going to buy it are the 40+ group.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

http://www.streetlightrecords.com/Promo/2094

You may have already seen this since your post is old. I was going to take a picture of mine, but I'm too lazy to figure out how to post photos here since they changed the policy!

Dino likes this.
  15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Bowie is one of those timeless artists who create an audience with each new generation who get into music.

Curveboy likes this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Why reissue the 4 CD S&V box and release a 3CD comp in quick succession less than 3 months apart?

17. I would hang those on my wall

GetHappy!! likes this.
  18. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker

Different companies, S&V boxset reissued by Warner (acquired some part of EMI per conditions of European Commission with regards to Universal purchase of EMI) while Nothing Has Changed was released by Sony Legacy.

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I can only assume it is different record companies - it doesn't make any sense.

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes. Plus the fact that S&V is more a product for a hardcore fan, it's not a 'hits' package as such.

My only complaint is that they should of released the new comp last year, when Bowie fever was at it's height, would have tied in so well with the exhibition.

21. Regine Hunter

Regine Hunter Active Member

Yes, released simultaneously by different companies but having them out together also works since Nothing Has Changed is primarily a hits collection while S&V was more of a rarities/b-sides collection.

22. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

A hardcore fan that didn't already own this?

23. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

However, outside America (where most people live) this new compilation is a Warner release.

24. Regine Hunter

Regine Hunter Active Member

Sometimes it's just a simple matter of keeping something old in print for people who want it. :shrug:

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Weirdly, there's barely any mention of Bowie releasing music for 50 years. One reason for holding the new comp back for a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.