New david bowie song / major compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richard a, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. botley

botley Forum Resident

Not including the single remix of "Real Cool World" is a huge mistake. Totally forgot about that one, which is long out of print and so fantastic.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Halloween_Jack and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. botley

botley Forum Resident

If I were compiling it, I also would have thrown in the short single remix of "I Can't Read" from The Ice Storm soundtrack to have some kind of Tin Machine representation.

Curveboy and Halloween_Jack like this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Is it different that the version on the soundtrack Botley? I don't think I've heard the single remix.

4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

It's basically the Best Of Bowie, plus a few other tracks tacked on. He's only released two albums since, and apart from the new single, I can't see the point of this release. The title says it all.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Depending how much you go for single mixes/edits, a big chunk of this release hasn't been on a full length Bowie audio release before. Playing music from a 50 year span is also quite a trip.

DesertHermit and botley like this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

There are certainly enough rarities to get me to buy it.

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yeah i am buying it for some of the mixes and maybe 4-6 other songs i am missing

botley likes this.
  8. botley

botley Forum Resident

It was remixed specifically for radio play and is quite different. I believe it was reissued as a download in 2010 but the physical single is long out of print.

Here it is on Spotify.

JeffMo likes this.
  9. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

I hope this isn't the actual cover art.... :/

[​IMG]

10. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

It is not. The official website clearly points out that the picture has nothing to do with what will become the coverart.
    All it takes, is to read a little bit further than the tracklists...

Robert C likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

several media outlets actually published the image as the cover.

12. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

LP and possibly the 3cd for me. Might just go with LP and digital. Nice compilation for the car/work.

13. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

New remasters were supposed to be released, last year. Will this new release be a tease for a future catalogue upgrade? I hope so.

Marc 74 and PH416156 like this.
  14. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

A bit negative responses here. I can understand that from hardcore fans that have heard everything. But for me that is very casually interested to check out his career and don't own a single Bowie album this might be just the thing for me if the mastering is good.

15. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Love bowie, but that must be about 10 compilations by now, give me a break, I'l listen to the "new" song online (probably a "The Next Day" reject) , that will be enough!

16. MHP

As specificly mentioned in the press release, the new track were especially recorded for this collection this year, so it can hardly be a reject from The Next Day.

Technocentral likes this.
  17. MHP

I'll bet that this collection will be a teaser for an entire catalog upgrade, including Toy being released as well.

18. Technocentral

Yeah but it was probably from that period or before and not recorded then, personally I'd prefer a new album then 99% of everything available and one "new" song.

19. Technocentral

No way thats bloody awful, kindergarden level graphic design, Bowie would never approve!

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  20. MHP

Well, so they didn't read the press release either... ;)

21. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

If I were a betting man I would take you up on this bet. Unfortunately, I think any re-release campaign will most likely be a further sonic downgrade (listen to The Next Day).

22. MHP

I hope they have learned. Even Sony / Bowie must have been aware about the 'loudness war' by now.
    The Next Day is a pure digital recording, so it's not fair to compare that albums mastering to analog recorded albums.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  23. Grissongs

Grissongs Forum Resident

Funny, the release of the Zeit! box passed me by completely, to the extent that I queried why there hadn't been a "Berlin Years" kind of set in the thread about the reissue of the Sound + Vision box. Still, it looks like this was/is just a straight repackaging of the less than well regarded '99 remasters of the studio albums and the 2005 remaster of Stage. A new/better mastering, some out-takes or otherwise unreleased stuff from the sessions of that period and a nice booklet was what I was hoping for...

24. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

'The Next Day' was brickwalled in mastering, which has nothing to do with the recording technology (unless you're suggesting the compression is inherent in the recording). also, Bowie seems an advocate of such mastering as does Visconti, whatever he might claim when pressed on the subject.

for the new comp i predict at the very least "fattened" masters of everything pre-1995 (see Visconti's 'Young Americans' remix/master, the recent Sound + Vision digital single). However, as everything since 'Outside' has been brickwalled i expect the earlier work will be slammed to match it. the bigger surprise will be if the so-called single versions/edits of the pre-digital era recordings are faithful. previous digital issues of the Golden Years and "Heroes" singles have not been and the 40th anniversary Jean Genie picture disc was labelled "original single mix" but was the album mix... if they correct these fundamental errors then there is hope that this has been assembled with more care than previous Bowie comps, which may then extend to the mastering. my money's on one or two incorrect masters and loud, probably brickwalled mastering. it's a bet i'd be happy to lose.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    MHP, howlinrock and Halloween_Jack like this.
  25. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

It wasn't the official site where I first saw this...
    But I see it mentioned now that I've just checked in there ;)
    I've pre-ordered the 10" single release of Sue, so unless this collection does indeed have a fresh (and very good quality) remastering I'll pass. Does seem like a likely pre-cursor to a new release of his catalogue. Fingers crossed it 's finally done justice on both digital & vinyl...
    John.

MHP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.