New David Crosby Album - "Here If You Listen" (25th October 2018)"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chrisblower, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I'll give those Rides albums a spin this week - never spent any time with them.

carlwm and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

For me, it's a case of great songs, well played.

Really hope you get into them

3. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Here If You Listen is just bliss...... this may just be my favourite album of 2018......the harmonies are hypnotic at times.

4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

The vinyl is a great pressing and the hi res on headphones is just glorious.

SteveM likes this.
  5. stem

stem Forum Resident

D’you know, I am beginning to concur with you.
    I keep wanting to listen to this album.
    The vinyl sounds amazing.

Kiss73 likes this.
  6. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

Well, Neil could slip for 20 more years and Crosby and Stills and Nash individually and collectively could rise for 20 more years, but at the end of the day they'll still be sitting at the bottom of the mountain looking up at Neil perched high atop....

Of course I'm a Neil fan and have never appreciated the solo works of the others, and don't really appreciate CSN or even CSNY for that matter.

Hey we all have our opinions--I'm glad that Crosby seems to be enjoying himself and that people are enjoying his music...
    NYF

carlwm likes this.
  7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

young's early solo career is unparalleled by just about anyone in rock and roll, but since 2000, i just don't hear it, and by god i've wanted to hear it with each and every album that i faithfully bought on day one. even 'a letter home', which for all intents and purposes he should refund everyone who bought it because it is disgustingly horrible.

Humbuster, Kiss73 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

I hear ya, but I've found plenty to appreciate in Neil's music since 2000. Silver and Gold, Greendale, Living With War, Prairie Wind, Le Noise, Psychedelic Pill, Peace Trail and The Visitor have all resonated with me, etc..

Yes, A Letter Home was a challenging head scratcher, and yes, Neil's 60s and 70s output is nearly unparalleled. He burned bright, and in comparison has been simmering for a while, but there are embers that still catch fire on record and especially in concert...
    NYF

factory44 and Heart of Gold like this.
  9. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

I've just listened to the absolutely gorgeous 'Here If You Listen' twice in a row. I don't think this beautiful music could have been made within the confines of CSN or CSNY - he's with the musicians he needs to be with at this time.

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah, you're right. It is all opinions. Respect yours, obviously, and I reckon more people will agree with you than me but I have a different take.

I like Neil Young well enough, even some of his maligned recent recordings, and listen to his work fairly regularly but for me, in regard to CSNY, he's fourth best. I rate them: Stills, Nash, Crosby, Young (in horse racing parlance, the first three would be in a photo finish with distances being a head & neck with NY being a couple of lengths back).

Part of the reason I feel that NY is a little behind is possibly that his prodigious output has thrown out a few turkey and also covered an immense amount of ground style-wise whereas the others have released less, been more consistent and stayed closer to the Mothership.

When it comes down to it though, they've all made, and continue to make, fine music & the CSNY section of my record collection remains highly cherished. :)

11. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Neil has still the best songs, period. CSN records have great songs too. The recent Crosby records are all classy, but at the end of the day they are written and composed with other people. They are a choral effort. Neil writes and composes all on his own. It's hard to compare different situations.

sram16 likes this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well, I disagree that Neil has the best songs, though he certainly has plenty of excellent ones, & I reckon that the occasional writing partner might have given his music a different perspective.

But it's all good. We're both happy with what our own ears tell us and passionate about the music we love. Which is how it should be. :righton:

JDeanB and Bill like this.
  13. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Just had my first play of the vinyl. Lovely. A nice surprise as went for the cheap amazon vinyl price and seem now to have obtained a rather superb record. Cover artwork aside this is a very happy purchase. Makes me now want to go back and search for the best of his recent albums.

jlf, SteveM and Davmoco like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I want the % though. if neil has released 2,000 songs and you think 200 are great that's 10%. if for instance stills has released 500 songs and you think 50 are great that's still 10%

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I know what you're saying, but it's music, not sports. Neil's very prolific, always has been. And I love most of Neil's stuff, but Crosby's best is as good, and lately, he's been on a tremendous roll. Those two are so different, they're not really playing the same game, despite being in the same band off and on.

And the fact that Crosby's been more collaborative of late doesn't really matter to me. He's still driving the bus, so to speak.

zobalob, Humbuster and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. misteranderson

That live RSD EP should have been a full-length thing. Seeing that band at Town Hall was amazing, and the live sound was so good, it was levitating.

I had to play my EP 3-4times before it sounded good. It skipped in a few places the first time, but then playing/cleaning improved it every time.

Just got Here If You Listen. Haven't spun it yet.

Can't comment on what Neil's been doing lately. Greendale and the Heart of Gold documentary are the last things I remember checking out, and I really liked Heart of Gold, so I must like Prairie Wind too.

DrJ likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

what I'm saying is 10% is 10%. if you write 6,000 songs to get 100 good ones that doesn't mean anything to me

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good Thread Starter

Bit disappointed this thread has got into another Neil Young is better than anybody else discussion. What has that go to do with celebrating Croz's new album ? Ruins it that's what.

19. Agreed. This is easily the flatest, quietest, cleanest, shiniest slab of vinyl I've bought in over a decade. When the stylus drops you hear nothing but a CD-like quiet jet black background from which a rich, warm smooth, detailed, transparent sound erupts. This is super peachy.

Although the artwork is lousy, we get a gatefold sleeve and all for a crisp tenner. Bargain buy!

Agreed. See my comment above. You must get his albums from CROZ onwards. They are all superb.

jlf and Almost Simon like this.
  20. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I read the posts that began the debate as Croz is blowing away NY who has sucked for twenty years then the Rusters came back in defense.
    But yeah..
    Celebrate the David.
    Leave Shakey out of it.

JDeanB likes this.
  21. chrisblower

Yes I agree. I've been guilty in the past of saying negative stuff on a thread which didn't need it. Promised myself wouldn't do it again. It's an easy trap, reflects the beat up, shouty world we live in.

Rejoice. Its a great album.

Olompali likes this.
  22. chrisblower

Hep Alien and Sandinista like this.
  23. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

An absolutely sublime album! I rate it second to Croz and place it way ahead of Sky Trails and Lighthouse. Just wonderful.

24. misteranderson

I'm only one side in, and it's great so far. Very well-pressed record too, and priced friendly. About $16.

Chemically altered likes this.
  25. That's exactly how I see it. By truly following his muse (over following higher concert grosses), he's found something special. Remarkable. This late-career renaissance is most welcome.

Chemically altered likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.