New Doors Matrix release for Record Store Day 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Gave this new release a spin yesterday and thought it sounded great through my system. Just a bit of tape hiss which in no way detracted from the vibe. Overall really glad I picked this up.

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Me too.

3. I'd say you're completely right on that assumption and yes, no matter how many copies of earlier bootlegs or official releases someone already owns they will, of course, buy any officially released complete set in the future.

Pats Radio likes this.
  4. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

I like they added the partial End. Die hards want what’s in the vault well this is part of it. And when they release the complete box I’m hoping it’s in there too.

JensC and marklamb like this.
  5. You're right about every fragment and all that where a "complete" set is concerned but for the life of me I can't understand why they bothered to put a very short (and frankly very dull) fragment of The End on the latest LP which only has eight tracks anyway. Surely they could have put something better on there to fill 4 minutes of space? It seems a bizarre choice at this stage. If they'd already released five Matrix volumes on LP and this was all that was left I'd understand it better.

rnranimal and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  6. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

yes, it was nice, but it why not released one of the unheard jams? or one of the non studio album songs?

rnranimal and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

The record was compiled by Bruce Botnick.

8. Kat Records

well, we should ask BB

9. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

We should ask him about 2008 master tapes

rnranimal, avp2029 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Kat Records

hahaha, i bet that they don't remember that

avp2029 and anastasios like this.
  11. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

I really want a release of Bakersfield . Thst is my favorite 1970 doors show. Jim sounds fantastic to my ears . His voice is so full rich and deep . To me it's the best example of jim mastering the old blues man persona. His voice is so bluesy gutsy and raw. A very powerful vocal performance. Live me two times from that show is one of my all time favorite live music moments. It's also one of my favorite densmore performances . He sounds so big and powerful and his share drum sounds incredible. Both he and him are really grinding it out at that show. I think the band really could have reinvented themselves as a live act with that style. Jim always seemed to cone alive for the blues stuff 9n thoose latter performances. For the Vancouver performance it's like he turned back the clock a few years when they played rock me and little red rooster. He sounds on fire for that part of the show and it's another one of my favorite live moments

12. If it isn't it should be because I do not doubt for one second that was what it was originally planned for. My question is this: what song was deliberately omitted from the current LP, which would have been purposefully included on the CD accompanying the SD Deluxe box to bleed fans' wallets dry?

rnranimal likes this.
  13. Sorry to be a pedant but wouldn't the correct description be "excerpt/fragment and tape runs out" because although you are correct that the 10th was recorded over the 9th leaving just this small fragment of The End left, the song does not end either; it gets cut off, presumably due to the tape also running out?

14. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

I bought both pressings and I don’t think they are good quality at all, am I wrong? very low sounding maybe I got bad copies?

15. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

I remember reading somewhere that Live At The Matrix was going to be a supposed Audio Fidelity disc mastered by our host. Too bad it never worked out.

16. Yes, I believe you are wrong to think they are not good quality pressings. They are excellent pressings with good mastering; the issue you might conceivably have is the quality of the original recording?

17. I think to even expect a horribly loud, compressed, sharp EQ'd, badly edited, overdubbed, re-sequenced FULL Matrix feels like a pipe dream these days, let alone a decent, full, unedited raw set mastered by our host!!!!

murch likes this.
  18. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

No. You are right. Bad. Are they 2nd or third gen tapes, I think.

When will they free the original tapes...the GOOD tapes they have known about for years? Are they try to squeeze every bit of cash out of their cash cow until it squeals? Uh, yah. So some day they can release the "original and newly mixed and mastered soundboard recording, sounding like never before"?! Hmmm, wonder why...

19. Hang on a second, he was asking about the PRESSINGS and as I said they are great, it's the recording quality which is questionable. However, you are suggesting they are still using 2nd or 3rd generation tapes? To be honest I think the last LP and the CD in the Deluxe of The Doors were sourced from a master tape as they clearly sound much better than the boots or even the original "Live At The Matrix" (2008) so I'm not sure what you're listening to here when you ask that question?

20. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Sorry, the 2008 is my source.

SteveM likes this.
  21. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

I was just talking about the the record store day releases they don’t sound good and I think they were a money grab just wondering if anybody else had that experience, and what is a cd this is vinyl only baby lol JK

22. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

Thanks for the very useful post. To help us sort out and find this material.
    Waiting for the box set to come out after they are done piece meal releasing this.

23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It will probably be a bit anti-climatic when the box set is finally released, after a decade-long delay and the piecemeal collections. Still, the Matrix recordings arguably represent the finest concert recordings from the band, both in terms of sound and performance, so it will be nice to finally have a properly produced collection.

24. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

This sad Matrix debacle is the modern take of their money greed Buick incident from late '68. Only Jim is not around to stop this nonsense. He is just turning in his grave.

John though could write another book. This time about the current management, using one of the most precious material captured in their career and how they're milking the fans over and over again with it, eventually spitting on their legacy as well to which he is clearly willing to give his name.

rnranimal and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

For my part, it’s just indifference now. They have wasted so much time with these tapes and had so many false starts that any effect of releasing them is diluted. I don’t even know if I’d order them, which is a real shame.

I definitely wouldn’t pre-order them. Been burned by that before.

Matthew Tate and rnranimal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.