New Doors Matrix release for Record Store Day 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

well, just listened, sounds quite better than last years RSD, BB make a great job this time, the tap still hiss but is still enjoyable

2. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

You got a copy?

3. Kat Records

yep

anastasios likes this.
  4. Kat Records

i noted this mistake in the linner notes

Side B Track 3: Lets' Feed Ice Cream To The Rats :: The End (Partia - Tape Runs Out) March 10, 1967 Show 2.

was so hard to credit the track to March 9?

anastasios and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

16 copies on eBay already. The highest priced is $85.00. Cheapest is $35.00 + $14 shipping. Something Shady going on if that many people can guarantee this record before it’s even released.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    anastasios and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

How are people getting this record before it’s released Tomorrow?

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Pre-sales and shady RSD stores selling under random ebay handles. No different than the past 10 years.

8. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Capitalism at it's best. :shake:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. murch

murch Forum Resident

I'm not spending another penny on the Matrix tapes until they release the full thing.

10. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Nice to hear the sound quality is on the ups!

anastasios and Kat Records like this.
  11. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

£26 here in the UK. My first venture with a live Doors LP. Sounds good to me but needs plenty of volume. Good pressing. BG in wax. There is tape hiss but it doesn't bother me.

12. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Is the sound really improved -- or does this year's LP just rely more on the better recorded March 10 sets (i.e. direct-mic'd instruments)?

13. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Headed to my local record shop after work. If they have it I’ll grab it and let you know. I don’t expect much improvement in sound though.

marklamb and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

I hate record store day.

SteveM, jhm, GerryO and 3 others like this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

They had at least ten copies that I saw this morning, no one was picking it up. I was actually quite surprised, but as the store got picked over, this Doors release largely remained untouched. And no, I did not acquire a copy for myself.

16. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Stopped in my local record shop and got my copy. 03820/13000 $25.95. Nice clean pressing as always. Slight tape hiss,barely noticeable. Sounds better than the boots and previous releases,but not by much. Definitely nothing spectacular to my ears. They definitely toned down the Bass. All my other copies I always turn down the Bass,this I didn’t have to.
    My wife got The B-52’s live 2Lp $38.95. Nice clean pressing also,sounds great. She’s Happy.

anastasios, Efus, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  17. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I didn't see any copies of the Matrix vinyl at the store I went to. Must have sold. Non of my business what people spend their money on (so no offense intended) but it was slightly irritating. It's like rewarding them for bad behavior. Oh well.

However, what I did get...was a copy of the Grateful Dead 'Fillmore West 1969' vinyl box! Complete show, beautiful packing, etc. Proves yet again why I wish the Doors would copy the Dead's play book.

Anyway, happy to spend my money on the Dead vinyl, not the incomplete Matrix fragment.

anastasios, Buda and rnranimal like this.
  18. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

I just can’t see these Matrix tapes sounding any better than this. The pic sleeve says: Recorded by Peter Abrams,Compiled & Mastered by Bruce Botnick,Lacquers by Bernie Grundman.
    That’s as Good as it Gets. The cover sticker says First Generation Masters!

Soundslave likes this.
  19. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

You know, even though after getting 50th ann. boxset I skipped on Live at the Matrix pt.1 vinyl I decided to get pt.2 for RSD :) It's on its way to me and I'm happy to read such reviews from you. Even though it's not the best output we got as The Doors fans (I mean where's the Matrix box and songs in order, not mirroring debut album tracklist or what seems to be Strange Days on pt.2) but at least a good quality release for RSD.

anastasios likes this.
  20. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

I may never understand why The Doors camp do what they do. I Do know I’m very happy to be buying Doors Lps again and have been very happy with every Lp I’ve purchased. All of the live Cd releases have been Great also. Always a Quality product. Keep the Lps coming guys and gals!!!!!

Soundslave and Pats Radio like this.
  21. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Well I hope you enjoy your Dead vinyl box. If I was a Dead Head I’m sure I would be overjoyed right now. Maybe one day we’ll get a Doors vinyl box,they better hurry up,I’m gonna be 50 soon. Chop,Chop. Tick,Tock.

anastasios and jdlaw like this.
  22. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Sorry. You will get a copy.

23. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, I mean I dig me some Grateful Dead. Happy to have the record I got today. However, I love the Doors. Just frustrated that there wasn't the opportunity to come home with say the Doors 'Live at the Matrix - the Complete March 10th performance' or something like that. Maybe one day.

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Had the Dead set in my hands, but put it back. I have the CD Fillmore West box set, and as attractive as the vinyl package is, I tried to have some self-restraint.

25. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, suppose I don't blame you if you already have the Fillmore CD Box. I missed the boat on that one, during the 24 hour span (or whatever it was) that it was actually available for retail! Managed to get the shows in torrent form via LL or someplace like that.

Anyway, think I read on the Grateful Dead thread that there are plans to release all 4 of the Fillmore shows on vinyl. I look at it like this, if I get all 4 shows at $80 a pop, it is still less than what that CD box goes for! :laugh:

anastasios and PacificOceanBlue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.