New Doors reissues 45rpm Vinyl & SACD (Part 01)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thecrokid, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I would have to vote for Soft Parade followed by LA Woman. But all of them are tops in so many ways. I guess a first pressing stereo release of the first S/T release is stated by many to be better than the 45 rpm, but I've not heard that original pressing. It may indeed be true. But overall, they are outstanding and not to be missed. Some day, I can see these going for big bucks. It all depends on how many are sold and so on. I'll bet Soft Parade some day goes for big bucks seeing as that release tends to be the least popular among the general public.

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I think AP did an outstanding job on all six releases.

3. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Soft Parade is the WORST Doors album IMHO.

Bloated (like Morrison) and just bad.:shake:

4. Sam

Sam Senior Member

The guy was not asking about what people thought was the best in terms of songwriting and singing, he was asking which 45 rpm SOUNDED THE BEST. Ant that, to me, belongs to the Soft Parade. The rest is just your opinion. My opinion is that time has looked fondly upon this lp. I love Tell all the People, Touch Me and Wild Child, just to name a few. By the way, Morrision was not bloated at the time of that album's release. He was for LA Woman, which is one of their best albums.

5. ssmith3046

I've liked The Soft Parade from the day of the release. AP's SP sounds great.

6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The title track of of The Soft Parade is the single best song The Doors ever recorded, IMO of course.

dtyndall, direwolf-pgh and full moon like this.
  7. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Another release date change for the SACD's. All now being released January 22nd 2013.

8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Finally heard The Soft Parade AP reissue. Sounded fantastic... too bad there wasn't a DCC vinyl version to better it :cop:

10. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thanks for the link, Mr. Sigma6!

I was hoping they'd stagger them. I'm gonna have to seriously think up some strategy to have the available funds in January after all the Christmas spendage.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for the update. Hopefully this is the last of the delays. Yeah, right. ;)

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thanks also for the info.

14. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

The Soft Parade LP has such a unique presence to it - love it. The Strange Days LP from a studio effort/sonic presentation (the great songs aside) knocks my socks off.

Revolver likes this.
  15. ssmith3046

I own all the releases and really think that all involved did a splendid job on them. I wish the Beatles on vinyl would have been done like this if it were possible. All tube cut using the original masters and on 45 rpm vinyl. That would have been something!

bonifakula likes this.
  16. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Indeed - one can hope and dream.

17. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I notice from the AP website that the stereo layer for The Doors s/t SACD won't be speed corrected.
    As the 5.1 is a straight transfer from the DVD-audio disc, am I correct in thinking that will be the speed corrected version?

18. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I do wish we could get the original mix of the first album with the speed correction too.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What does speed correction mean?

20. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, since the slow down of LIGHT MY FIRE (if that's what is being talked about, I assume it is) was intentional back in 1967, one could say that the "speed corrected" versions are the 15 million LP's, cassettes, four-tracks and eight-tracks sold since 1967. Anything else slightly off speed is due to the bouncing and mixing process.

22. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

from Analogue Productions description for The Doors

The Doors self-titled 1967 release famously contains some incorrect speed and pitch issues. While there have been "corrected" versions made, in the interests of being historically accurate, this Analogue Productions reissue was cut without speed or pitch correction.

fortherecord likes this.
  23. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

24. warpig

warpig Senior Member

So what is the problem with the vinyl box set. Every time I look it gets pushed further and further back. I have been waiting for them so I can get a listen. Thinking about canceling the order. No more pre orders from AP.

25. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I also pre-ordered the box. I don't know what's going on. All the titles have been out for a while. It seems like sticking 6 in a pretty box wouldn't be that hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.