New Doors reissues 45rpm Vinyl & SACD (Part 02)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

2. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

i was never a doors fan but recently bought Rhino issues (including the mono s/t on RSD a couple years ago)....so i dont really know what they should sound like.
    i feel Strange Days is lacking bottom end. like it was run thru a HP filter. infact the grooves on side one take up about half the space a normal LP would. havent really listened to the other albums. do the Analogue Production pressings have more low end to them?

3. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident

So far I've listened to The Soft Parade and it is outstanding. Highly recommended.

I've been listening to a number of new releases lately and was wondering. What makes a company decide to go with 45rpm? The Stones DSD Albums I have (Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet) and the Ziggy Stardust 40th are quite spectacular but don't use 45. The Doors at 45 sound great but so do the 33s I've mentioned. Are 45s that much better?

4. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

The Doors 45 rpm 2LP sets were released by Analogue Productions, they had already released jazz in this format.
    I think they thought the time was right to try a few rock LP's.

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

They do sound great IMO. All my other pressings have been retired and these are my go to Doors records now.

Clanceman and Hawklord like this.
  6. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I've been wondering the same thing, as well.

7. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

+1

8. Like the concept of 45rpm but don't you have to get up off your asses more often? I'm very active but 22 minutes from a 33rpm is good enough for me.

hishou likes this.
  9. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I guess I'm pretty much done with the 45rpm concept, save a few more Music Matters Blue Notes.

I think I started with the Classic Records RCA Living Stereo and their jazz titles(my favorite), I have a ton.
    The single sided ones sound good, but at this point I like to sit for a few more minutes and enjoy.

For you guys that like the titles coming out(Doors/SRV), in this format, I say go for it as the sound is usually a step up.

NewKidInTown likes this.
  10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

What's the Over/Under on the number of threads before the SACDs are released?

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

A better question would be how many best of collections are released before the SACDs are.

john lennonist likes this.
  12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

:laugh:

13. KeithH

I say five.

14. MorbidToaster

MorbidToaster Well-Known Member

Recently picked up the 33rpm Rhino vinyl box as I got it for less than half the price of the 45 box.

Had the Rhino release of the first album already and liked it. Hope the rest hold up.

Has anyone compared these 2 releases?

fortherecord likes this.
  15. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

What is the current expected release date for the SACDs?

16. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

17. KeithH

I'm no vinyl expert, but I regularly see posts claiming that 45s sound better than 33s. Steve and Kevin Gray mastered Rumours a few years ago, and the mastering was released as a 45 and a 33. Every review I read here comparing the two stated a preference for the 45, though the 33 still was highly regarded.

18. KeithH

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

45 definitely sounds better to me but it sure flies by awfully fast.

Mazzy likes this.
  20. I gues stacking the discs to play the music longer would defeat the purpose. :tiphat:

21. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Both good, but Rhino is digital

fortherecord likes this.
  22. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I really don't like changing sides that often. Might be a tad better sound than 33, but the short sides are a deal breaker for me..

I'd prefer if they gave the option of 33 or 45...

23. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident

Bass was a bit thing for my taste on Strange Days....I love my bass thumping. How is the S/T album?

24. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Anyone else a complete maniac like me and going to spend $100 on an empty box?

25. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Well, I pre-ordered the 'Infinite' box last June if that counts. 7 months later I'm finally going to hear the thing in a few weeks. This is what the box looks like:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.