New Doors reissues 45rpm Vinyl & SACD (Part 02)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Popmarket states the 45rpm box at $319 so that is £190 uk. They are asking £242. They always say free shipping to UK but that looks a bit like £52 to me. If it was £190 then I would purchase.

kees1954 likes this.
  2. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

The Norah Jones box set was once featured on Popmarket too. I don't find it a bad idea, it gives a wider exposure for people who had never heard of Analogue Prod before. I still wish it was $100 cheaper though... But what really scares me is that although it states the shipping is free, with a box set that expensive, it is almost guaranteed that the lovely people at the customs will tax you big bucks for it.

Buda likes this.
  3. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I took advantage of the Popmarket price on the SACD box set. Also got 10% off the price for signing up, so $200 for the set and free shipping is a good deal to me. :)

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have all of the 45 rpm Doors releases I find that they are my go to Doors albums now. Just for the heck of it I played my NM first pressing of LA Woman with the ARTISAN mastering logo in the dead wax and it just reaffirmed my appreciation for the AP 45 rpm release.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    John Carsell likes this.
  5. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

:agree:

Blue Collar Man likes this.
  6. nickwill

nickwill Forum Resident

Slightly off topic but this seems a good price, not sure if it's a mistake and it's not available for America. All the Doors albums in 24/96 for 24 Euros

7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

You can get them in the US. Just email Qobuz and they will set you up.

What mastering. Are these?

8. nickwill

nickwill Forum Resident

Hi, not sure of the mastering, looks to be the same as the hdtracks download.

I live in the UK and have a Qobuz account but have seen albums (also Warners) that were "not available for download in your country". I was just assuming from this page at Find HD Music that it may be blocked because of hdtracks but it's worth a try

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I've heard all SACDs... and I bought only LA Woman, which sounds slightly better than the DCC Gold. All others do not sound better than originals pressings or the AF or DCC reissues.

10. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Looks like free shipping to uk is over anyone aware of this I've spent a lot over the years with PopMarket but this is a deal breaker for me.

11. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Yeah - tried for the Frozen deal yesterday and they wanted £30 for shipping... Never paid for shipping on Popmarket before...

12. The Morrison Hotel SACD is the definitive mastering I've heard of that album. Arguments can be made that the other SACDs are less impressive and with less sparkle than most high-caliber DSD transfers.

masterbucket likes this.
  13. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

The SACDs were a big disappointment. I agree with you about LA Woman, the resolution comes through on that one.

14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Here are two samples (on a 24/96 flac file) of Road House for comparison:

http://speedy.sh/Sa4BU/RH2SAMP.flac

First sample is from the 45 rpm vinyl reissue, the second from an Elektra big "E" red label press.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  15. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Bought the S/t album on vinyl as a test case, was ready to be blown away, unfortunately i'm disappointed. it sounds better then the recent digital rhino reissue (which i didn't like and sounds flat compared to the AP) but that's not saying much, i agree with those who say that it's a bit bass shy (perhaps that's the way it was recorded and mixed, btw the rhino reissue has more pronounced bass), i guess dull and murky would be the words i would use to describe the AP vinyl, won't be buying the rest.

The sleeve and pressing quality is outstanding, the best i have seen recently.

16. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

The s/t 45 rpm is the worst sounding of the bunch, maybe because it was made from a dub, which is apparently all that's available now. I have all but Waiting for the Sun, and otherwise they sound really good. I'd say Strange Days, Soft Parade and LA Woman sound the best IMO. Last time I compared them, I preferred my original Morrison Hotel to the 45. It's generally also the case that the sound quality can vary song to song, with the singles sounding like they were EQ'd and compressed for radio, for instance, Light My Fire. But I'm glad I picked them up.

Doctorwu likes this.
  17. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i have 2 of them. s/t and la woman.
    i decided i dont like la woman anymore. it sounds to clinical to me. yea you can hear things a little clearer but loses a bit of its magic to me. idk...i couldnt get it to blossom on my system.
    i still quite enjoy s/t though. its great.

18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I have S/T and L.A. Woman and they both sound excellent but for SQ alone, L.A. Woman is better to me. It is what I expected from an all analog 45 RPM reissue.

19. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

S/T was released Jan. '67 which means it was recorded in '66. LA Woman, released April '71 - over five years later - recording technology was vastly improved by then. Apart from the source tape - it stands to reason the SQ would be better. N'est ce pas?

20. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

It was?

21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yes, but that doesn't make them better in every way. I have an original tan label Elektra and it rocks more. It's quicker. The 45rpm reissue was richer sounding and perhaps sounded more liquid (and certainly benefited at the end the side compared to the same song on the 33), but I got into the music more with the original. I ended up selling the 45, taking about a 25% financial hit.

22. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I don't think so. Some of the best recordings ever made were done in the 1950's.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  23. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Fair enough - but in this case, with a rock band, I'd venture to say the tech used on LA Woman was better than the tech used on S/T. I'm speculating of course. LA Woman was recorded @ the Doors Workshop and S/T @ Sunset Sound.

24. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Oh I love that Sunset Sound...sound.

We're comparing a professional studio to a make-shift studio. I'm sure there are pros and cons. Both great albums though.

25. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

All Doors albums were recorded at Sunset Sound to my knowledge, as well as countless classics like the Beach Boys, which have astounding sound quality on much of their stuff from around the same time period as s/t. Not trying to be obstinate, it's just I think the sound quality of s/t was originally better than the AP 45 reveals. It just sounds a little murky or veiled. Original tan labels have their own issues (compression, EQ choices), but they are pretty present and immediate sounding. I keep going back to my 45 s/t hoping it will sound better than I remember, and wanting it to sound good, but it just never quite does it for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.