New Doors reissues 45rpm Vinyl & SACD (Part 02)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I too love the Sunset Sound sound - and have always marveled at how the recordings from there during that era trounce the SQ one finds from Abbey Road and other top flight London studios. The London studios didn't really start to catch up until the early 70s. I'm sure there are exceptions to this fairly broad statement but I think generally it holds.

The Doors Workshop was indeed a makeshift studio but since they weren't' paying the Sunset Sound rate they could take their time and get it right. Bruce Botnick did an amazing job on LA Woman. I don't have the 45s and am just commenting on the SQ in general.

2. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Waiting For the Sun was the last album recorded at Sunset. I believe The Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel were recorded at Elektra Sound Recorders studio. The studio that could also be called the studio that The Doors built. And of course L.A Woman was recorded at The Doors rehearsal room, also known as The Doors Workshop.

3. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

4. Can we expect Other Voices and Full Circle on 45rpm any day soon?

5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Do you really think it's necessary? I have original LP's and probably listened to them one time. What does everyone else think of these?

6. I think they're both c**p! I was being ironic with my suggestion! ;)

John D. likes this.
  7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I would love to see SACDs of these albums from Analogue Productions to complete the set, so to speak, but I know it will never happen.

8. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

After reading through most of these 29 pages, I am curious to know if some of you have changed their minds concerning their like/dislike of the SACDs.

For those who have compared the sound quality of the 5.1. mixes, is there a huge difference in the sound quality between the DVD-As and the SACDs?

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Several classic albums have also been issued in both formats (YELLOW BRICK ROAD, TOMMY etc); some like the DVD-A better, some prefer the SACD. I would expect the differences in sound quality of the surround mixes to be totally dependent on your hardware. My opinion: they're both fantastic! Pick your poison playback-wise and enjoy.

Re the stereo layers, my opinion hasn't changed--the DCC's (and the two Audio Fidelity titles) are still the "gold" standard. Although the AP's might have a tad more clarity, I find them thin-sounding bass-wise. The DCC's have balls galore. But if you don't have the desire (or the $$) to buy the DCC's, I would think anybody should be very happy with the SACD's, with one exception: since the first album is not taken from first-gen tapes I'd recommend tracking down the DCC for that title.

George P likes this.
  10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Thanks for sharing you thoughts on this!

I have the Japan DCC discs and the two AF gold discs but I am considering getting the SACDs of my favourite albums for the Surround mixes. I am not a fan of the Stereo remixes which is why I plan on getting the SACDs and that way I get both the original Stereo and the Surround mixes.

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

That's what I'm doing--AP for 5.1 in my listening room, DCC everywhere else! :thumbsup:

Simon A likes this.
  12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Just re reading this thread (can't believe its been 2 years). At one time I was about to buy the SACD box, but backed out and came my cube from the late 90's. Though recently, I've regretted not having much Doors vinyl and only that cd box.

I've bought all the latest Rhino vinyl pressings, except for LA Woman. I bought the RSD mono Strange Days. I prefer the Doors in stereo, and am content overall with these Rhinos.

However, knowing these 45 rpms were still available kept gnawing at me. I've avoided them only because there's been a version available for awhile now (Rhinos) that are less than half the price and half the trips to the turntable. That said, I went to Acoustic Sounds today to order something else using the Memorial Day coupon and decided to just "try" one 45 title. So, I picked S/T, my hands down favorite, looking forward to hearing what you and many others have been hearing for awhile now.

Note: As it turns out, this title wasn't eligible for the sale discount for some reason?

Also, do you feel the same way now as you did 2 years ago? Are the Rhino's and originals still "retired?" :tiphat:

13. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Yikes :yikes:

Sourced from digital tapes?

Is there any more information on that?

14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I thought I read that somewhere, but it's possible I'm getting confused. Maybe I was thinking of the bonus tracks.

15. AllenR

AllenR Forum Resident

The 45s are excellent. I haven't played any of the Rhinos since I purchased the 45s. You can make a good case for DCCs and originals but you then have cost and condition issues to consider. Buy the 45s while they are still available!

Clanceman and Hawklord like this.
  16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes sir. The Rhino records are long gone and not really missed at all. My originals still get a play occasionally. I recently picked up a L. A. Woman promo copy here in the classified section, I just couldn't pass on that. I still think the 45's are just spectacular. Original master tapes ( S/T the exception ), all analogue chain from tapes to records, Bruce Botnick and Doug Sax at the helm, 45 rpm, as a Doors fan since the beginning these releases are still the reissues of the decade for me personally.

FashionBoy, SteveM, Hawklord and 3 others like this.
  17. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

I have the 4 DCCs and the 2 AF Doors cds. I also have The Doors sacd box set. At first I was dissappointed with the sacds. Lack of bass, mastered to low in volume etc. Over time I kept going back to them though. Sure you have to turn them up a bit, thats what the volume knob is for. On my system to around 1130 on the volume dial to listen the way I like to. I have also noticed that on a lot of Doug Sax sacds
    you do have to turn them up for a full sound. Allison Krauss, Shelby Lynn for instance. The Doors s/t DCC over the sacd though the sacd sounds very good but from a safety copy. Strange Days DCC has more bass than the sacd, but prefer the sacd for warmth and clarity. By the way listened to and original vinyl copy of Strange Days and the bass sounds more like the sacd. Waiting For The Sun prefer sacd. Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel to me absolutely no comparison. To me they are the two standouts of the boxset. They are both amazing sounding . Demo quality. I never thought that those 2 cds were equal in sound quality to the 4 DCCs anyway whether on my HDCD player or other players. LA Woman DCC and SACD equal. Very alike. I listen enjoy and love them both. Also I notice that it seems a lot more people seem to like the AP vinyl more than people like the AP sacds. Well the other day I go to my friends house and bring over my Doors sacd boxset and he just got the AP vinyl lp box. Now we start to do the shootout with all six albums. We both are hearing with our 59 year old ears. Maybe the 45s were slightly better to us. Maybe. Same exact sound though on the vinyl. Less bass on the first 2 albums and you have to turn it way up. So I am not getting the raving over the vinyl and complaints on the sacds when they were mastered the the same way and probably at the same time.

mikeyt and Simon A like this.
  18. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I have only the S/T AP Doors on vinyl coming. I own nothing else from AP Doors. I've also tried to understand why the reviews are so different for each format. The only thing I can really deduct from everything that I've read is that the Sacds are mastered at a lower volume?? Someone tried to start a thread AP vinyl vs SACD, but it never really got any traction.

19. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Man, why did I buy all these Rhinos recently? Sheesh....the price and one record vs 2 for each title is all I can come up with. :shrug: I do this to myself more often than I want to admit. You're right......."while they're still available," seems like something I really have to consider. I don't want to be the guy to be buying copies in the classifieds here for $100 + a few years from now.

Thanks! Since S/T is the original tapes exception, do you think I may have made a bad move to make it my first AP title? Or, still a big upgrade over the Rhino issue? I have a 2nd issue (vinyl) that has a ton of s/n and distortion.

20. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

That was me who started that thread on The Door AP vinyl vs. Sacds. Never really got any answers on that. I think people were to busy on those who better looking John or Paul threads, or what was the best single of 1992.

pdenny likes this.
  21. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on these releases after having lived with them for a while Randy! This is what I was hoping for when I bumped the thread.

22. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The AP vinyl is spectacular while the SACD's sound like all the AP SACD's which is bad. AP insists on mastering their SACD's at a lower volume however when you convert analog to DSD if you master at a lower volume it's not just the volume being decreased it's also the resolution. When playing them back if you increase the volume the only thing it does it plays it louder, it's still not gonna fill in the missing information. I've converted many tapes and records to DSD and you really need to keep the volume as close to 0 as possible during the recording process.

23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I can only speak for myself but the AP 45 rpm vinyl closed the book on looking for Doors LPs for me, I'm good. Good thing too, too many other bands I'm not even close to done with.

24. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

The problem with the 45s is, well ... they are 45s. It just doesn't work for me, these are old records that have 2 sides. LA Woman and Riders are the last songs on a side for a reason.
    The other reason is that for all the endless re-issues of these titles I still go back to the original LPs, those were great records.

25. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

If you can muster the cash just buy the box set, you're almost certainly going to get hooked and buy them all anyway.
    If you simply feel you can't afford that kind of money at one go, then I would recommend L.A. Woman as your next purchase.
    Riders On The Storm is stellar sounding, I have never heard it sound better.

Clanceman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.