New Doors reissues 45rpm Vinyl & SACD (Part 02)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Only the 5.1 mixes from the Perception Box are being used for the SACD's. New transfers from the original analog masters (except for the self titled, best copy available) will be done.

JeffR714 likes this.
  2. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Yep!

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That included the songwriter?

:D

EL34 likes this.
  4. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

When they say up-sample, they are referring to the process of converting PCM to DSD.

5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The Rhino box is mastered from 24/96 digital. These 45 rpm reissues are all analog.

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I own the Rhino box and I enjoy the new 45 rpm releases much, much more. It's not everyday that I will spend three hundred dollars on six albums but in this case I have no regrets at all.

Clanceman likes this.
  7. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

So.... The SACDs will not consist of a new remastering by Doug Sax, except to the extent he assisted with the surround mix. And even that work amounted to altering Botnick's digital mix in PCM to splash some sound in the rear speakers.

I think the forum just saved me a lot of dough that would've gone to Doors SACDs.

8. MorbidToaster

MorbidToaster Well-Known Member

That's really unfortunate...for my wallet.

Clanceman likes this.
  9. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

Well played! I actually love all members, with Robby Krieger being one of my favorite guitar players.

I understand the whole Jim Morrison fascination, but 99 percent of the audience buying this box set appreciates every single member IMO.

McGruder and jdlaw like this.
  10. moss

moss Forum Resident

This is pretty confusing and really disappointing that the SACD isn't the new Sax remaster but the CD layer will be? :help:
    Is Fremer's site definitive in such things?

Guess I'll put my preorder on hold until this matter gets sorted. I didn't care much for the new mixes, I don't need them again.

11. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

I'm confused now too. Aren't these going to have a layer that is stereo SACD and original-mix

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Here's my interpretation based on the blurb about THE DOORS on www.acousticsounds.com:

red book CD layer - Doug Sax remaster (probably from the DSD master)
    SACD layer STEREO - Doug Sax remaster
    SACD layer 5.1 surround - Converted over from the PCM surround mixes

I think these are being done right, based on what info given. Presumably, someone at Acoustic Sounds could give further details. Red bold italic underlined emphasis is mine. :)

Mastered by Doug Sax and overseen by Bruce Botnick, The Doors producer/engineer.
    Hybrid Multichannel SACD
    Part of The Doors reissue series proudly presented by Analogue Productions!
    The surround sound program on the Doors SACDs comes from the original 96K, 24-bit files mixed and mastered by Bruce Botnick for the DVD Audio Doors/Perception release. Those mixes were made from the original one-inch, eight track, 15 i.p.s. analog master tapes. For the SACDs, the mixes were then up-sampled without filters to DSD using the Weiss Saracon format converter and authored by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center.

13. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I agree with your interpretation. I was thInking the same thing.

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I don't know how you guys are getting so confused.

The SACD's will have:

1) Stereo CD Layer
    2) Stereo SACD Layer
    3) Surround SACD Layer

For 1 and 2 there will be a new mastering from the original analog master tapes (except the self titled, best analog tape copy ). For 3 a copy of the 24/96 PCM surround mix completed by Bruce will be converted to DSD and used for the surround layer.

From the Acoustic Sounds site:

The Fremer quote is in reference to the surround layer only.

15. If this is the case, I will be picking up a couple of these.:thumbsup:

The stereo layer of these is what I'm interested in.

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I'd get confirmation first from Acoustic Sounds. That's my interpretation, however.

17. Oh I will - just hoping that the stereo layer is mastered by Sax.....

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Me too.

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

The SACD situation and what they will contain is information that was given when they were first announced, and is exactly what Sigma6 has been repeating.
    No need for all this confusion, peeps.

20. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

Or just "The Doors 45rpm" I think "Infinite" sounds silly.

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I will be holding out for the dubbed master tapes on open reel tape, these should certainly be coming out with the rate of Doors reissues we've seen :D

22. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

I'm going to do needle drops of these 45 RPM remasters and be done with purchasing the Doors. I have the Perception box for the alternate mix and multi-channel.

23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

To my ears these 45 rpm releases are the best any Doors albums can sound or will ever sound. I have the Rhino releases ( retired ) and various pressings of all the original releases, including the first two releases in mono. No need to buy any future Doors. Unless MFSL brings does the cassettes :)

24. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

I hate MFSL for coming out with Dylan on 45 RPM after I bought the Sundazed, and then the Sony mono's. I'll have to check out Freeewheeling to see what its all about. I don't think the Doors can get much better than this, so I'm done.

Rickchick and EL34 like this.
  25. MorbidToaster

MorbidToaster Well-Known Member

I almost picked up a copy of MFSL Doors at my local shop. The jacket was in rough shape but the vinyl was mint. It's just a master tape cut, but I think I'll just go for these...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.