New Dr Who Series 8 Directed by Ben Wheatley

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MC Rag, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Shawn, Dubmart and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I think it's great news, I enjoy his tenure more than the prior show-runner.

knob twirler, Karsten and Meltdown like this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm hoping that Clara's departure help things. I can't say that I prefer any of the nu-Who show runners over any other, but I can certainly divide it up by the companions that I liked.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

How can her leaving help? Without her, this season would have been even more unwatchable that it was. The only way I can see Clara's departure possibly helping is if it forces the writers to come up with a new companion dynamic/back-story. But there is no guarantee that the change will bring us better quality as we still have Moffat running things, writing scripts and influencing other writers.

5. marke

marke Forum Resident

Andy Smith likes this.
  6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Why in the world would that help? It's the writing that is the problem not the character or actress.

seed_drill and Dubmart like this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

I'm just not a big fan of Clara. The last companion I really liked was Donna. It would be interesting if they get an older companion next time

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Don't forget about the Christmas Special Episode tonight at 9:00 PM EST.

Santa to the rescue???

9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I think he's one of the better writers the show has had - reminds me of David Whitaker.

Karsten likes this.
  10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Q: What do you get when you take Santa Claus, the movie Alien and the movie Inception and then throw them in a pot and stir?

A: The 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special

LOL

Mylene and fishcane like this.
  11. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

A great seasonal episode. The petulant banter between the Doctor and Father Christmas made me snigger. Overall, well written, Clara as beautiful as she's ever been, great performance by Nick Frost and a decent goodbye to Danny Pink. None of that flying-shark nonsense this year. Flying reindeer makes perfect sense......
    (And a nice tie-in with another Hoffman post: Shona's silly dancing to Slade's 'Merry Christmas Everybody' clearly being the highlight of the show. I'd love to see her again - but we probably never will)

zobalob, keef00, Yovra and 3 others like this.
  12. marke

marke Forum Resident

I liked this Christmas episode. A great script by Steven Moffatt and the Doctor was less grumpy than usual.

zobalob likes this.
  13. marke

marke Forum Resident

Also Clara will obviously be in Season 9 after speculation that she would leave this year. I wonder if she'll make to the end of next season.

14. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Nice nods to Alien and Inception! ;)

15. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Great episode, with a terrifying alien and a healthy dose of Christmas whimsy. When you start out dancing to Slade, how can it go wrong? That may have been the first time I actually liked Danny, especially his retort to the Doctor about saving the world: "I died saving Clara... the rest of you just got lucky."

Mylene, marke and zobalob like this.
  16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Don't forget Starro.

[​IMG]

Andy Smith and marke like this.
  17. DreadPikathulhu

A good episode, easily in the top three of this series.

I'm disappointed Clara will be sticking around. Perhaps she'll improve with the departure of Danny Pink.

18. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Shona would make a good companion.

Mylene likes this.
  19. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I'm ecstatic that Jenna signed on for another season, I was kind of shocked at all the nerd-rage that accompanied her resigning, I think she's great.

Karsten likes this.
  20. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

And also Alan Moore's 'The Man Who Has Everything' , where Superman is trapped in a dream world caused by the creature burrowing into his chest.

[​IMG]

seed_drill likes this.
  21. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

Moffat is a terrific writer. When Davies had him writing episodes Moffat seemed more focused on making a good episode and frequently nailed it. Now every episode he writes has to fit inside a bigger story of his own construction, which has him leaving loose strands everywhere that don't always seem to connect. As showrunner, I think he needs to narrow the focus by doing more standalone episodes (whether written by him or others) that aren't necessarily intended to add to the Who legend. Back to basics, as the saying goes.

NapoleonXIV, Karsten and IronWaffle like this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Early on I was about to write the Christmas episode off as total fluff and nonsense. I started counting off the blatant plagiarizing from other works: Guardians of the Galaxy (dance bit), Alien (face huggers, dripping blood goop), Little Shop Of Horrors (sleeper faces), Inception (dream within a dream), Lego movie (toy robots) and any number of Trek or Twilight Zone episodes to do with the nature of reality.

However, after a while, the plot became a lot more palatable. It even managed to explain away the above plagiarizing by incorporating peoples' experiences (including movie pop culture) into the fake reality. Well done. And I absolutely loved the bit where the Doctor is made aware of a horror movie called Alien and he responds - no wonder your world keeps getting attacked. :D

There were also some clever bits of dialog and a few sentimental moments which raised this episode to above average. So, the Christmas episode was saved and best news of all is that Clara will be sticking around. Yay!

davenav likes this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Early on I was about to write the Christmas episode off as total fluff and nonsense. I started counting off the blatant plagiarizing from other works: Guardians of the Galaxy (dance bit), Alien (face huggers, dripping blood goop), Little Shop Of Horrors (sleeper faces), Inception (dream within a dream), Lego movie (toy robots) and any number of Trek or Twilight Zone episodes to do with the nature of reality.

However, after a while, the plot became a lot more palatable. It even managed to explain away the above plagiarizing by incorporating peoples' experiences (including movie pop culture) into the fake reality. Well done. And I absolutely loved the bit where the Doctor is made aware of a horror movie called Alien and he responds - no wonder your world keeps getting attacked. :D

There were also some clever bits of dialog and a few sentimental moments which raised this episode to above average. So, the Christmas episode was saved and best news of all is that Clara will be sticking around. Yay!

24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

This doctor really seems to "get" the role and is quickly becoming my favorite of the reboot

25. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I loved the Christmas episode. I made sure that my butt was home and ready to watch at 9 P.M. Eastern time here in the U.S. ( Oh, and thank you Santa Claus/Father Christmas for the Barnes & Noble Gift Card that I got from a family member for Christmas. It cut the price of the Season Eight blu-ray set by over half.) :)

But I do have a question for those of you who have been watching Doctor Who religiously either through the years or from the Christopher Eccleston re-introduction.

Is it ALWAYS like this that people either LOVE or HATE the new Doctor and/or Companion each time they change? I was aware of Doctor Who from the Sixties when I used to see listings in the TV Guide for the Peter Cushing movies. Never watched them. I was VERY aware of the Tom Baker Doctor Who in the Seventies when they used to play on Public Television here in the States. Never watched it. I only started watching Doctor Who with the Christopher Eccleston re-boot. Even after he left, my watching was spotty with David Tennant and Matt Smith. But I really like Peter Capaldi as the Doctor. I've always liked him since I saw 'Local Hero' in 1983, one of my favorite films.

So is it always like this? People rabidly watching Doctor Who but always arguing over how is the 'better' Doctor? It seems as if everyone has 'their' Doctor. :)

marke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.