New Dr Who Series 8 Directed by Ben Wheatley

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MC Rag, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Merry Christmas Hawkman. (Snap with 'Local Hero' by the way. In my top three favourite films EVER - along with 'Restless Natives' and 'American Graffiti'). I've been there from the start. Hartnell was my first Dr. I'm told I watched the first episode with my parents and grandparents but I don't remember that. I DO, however, remember the 2nd program - introduction of the Daleks. Almost every new Doctor that comes along I've dreaded because I've loved the present Doctor that much - and I ALWAYS end up lovin' the new bloke. Only twice in my life have I ever fallen out with the show. The first was with Tom Baker. He stayed waaaaayyy too long. Stopped watching for a short while then. Came back when I read he was leaving and Peter Davidson was stepping into the role. Genius casting. Troughton & Davidson remain my favourites. The other time I lost faith was when Bonnie Langford joined as a companion. She was just too OTT. She over-accentuated every line and I felt she'd just been brought in as hook to get more children interested. I felt I couldn't just abandon the show so I was very soon back in the fold. So, in answer to your question, yes - it is always like this. People get very defensive about 'their' Doctor. For every "Capaldi is too old for the role..." you'll get "But Tennant and Smith were too young....". I don't care! I just don't want the bubble to burst again. We went too many years with no Doctor on screen. I always feel for McGann. He seemed perfect. I feel we were really cheated out of some good stuff there. The audio products don't do him justice.

marke likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Really nice moment with Clara and the Doctor at the end. Made me hopeful that they won't make him entirely cranky next season- a trait that's become tiresome for me.

3. Andy Smith

Yes! Good input m'man. No one else has said that. I'd forgotten all about them too. They certainly pre-date the Alien flick.

4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I watched the Christmas episode with great trepidation, having not been overly-impressed with series 8, in general.

Glad to say that Moffat & co really came through with a winner. Now, I'm all about series 9!

5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Loved the Christmas episode, beautifully done.

knob twirler likes this.
  6. marke

marke Forum Resident

They made Colin Baker's Doctor cranky and grumpy too when he started out. However they went too far in his debut episode because he tried to strangle his assistant Peri at one point! He did soften a little in a later episodes but by then they had sacked Baker.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Mmmm...Peri... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. progrocker71

BBC America announced that the most recent season of Doctor Who was the biggest ever for viewers in America. They averaged 2.3 million viewers per episode and the Christmas episode pulled in 2.6 million.

9. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Best shot I remember after all these years was just before she jumps off the boat in "Planet of Fire"...... :)

Jerry Horne likes this.
  10. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Wait..,,what season do I need to go back to for her?

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Peri was the companion of the 5th & 6th Doctors from 1984 to 1986. She appeared first in Planet of Fire (series 21, in 1984) and made a total of 33 episodes. Her earliest appearances were the most...enticing.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

For the Peri aficionados, here's a few pics from 2014 - Nicola Bryant's still very much a babe! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

schwing!

14. progrocker71

She looked amazing, but her fake American accent was pretty terrible.

15. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

bump

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Netflix has renewed deals with several BBC productions that have been streaming on their service, including Doctor Who, Luther and The Office U.K. version, which will begin streaming through February.

However, with respect to Who, they didn't mention series 8, only Classic Doctor Who and Nu-Who series 1-7. I guess they haven't yet negotiated that deal.

Andrew likes this.
  17. progrocker71

Series 8 probably won't be released on Netflix until we get closer to the air date for Series 9.

18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

More like Pair-y, if you know what I mean. Nudge, nudge, wink wink.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Say no moah!

20. Andy Smith

Thoughts on the trailers for the new series? Not long now!

21. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

OOOH I am so not sure what to think or say.

At times, this show is soooo great and really means something.
    At other times, silly ideas, bad realizations, Comic relief, stories that seem half baked, and characterizations that just seem silly, unnecessary or dumb.

It is the most polarizing show I love!
    As far as companions, I like clara, but liked amy better.
    Rose, was just annoying and blah.
    And that is from a female viewpoint!

22. Andy Smith

No love for the temp from Chiswick? The one & only Doctor-Donna....

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dr. Who fans who's the most regarded Doctor ?

24. Andy Smith

For me, Troughton. Hartnell was scary. He frightened me at times. Troughton was far more likeable. After that I'd pump for Davidson as he emphasised a lot of 'caring older brother'ness. However, having lived them all in real-time, I'd say my favourite would have to be Matt Smith. (If we're going for least favourites then I'd say Tom Baker as he stayed way too long and Colin Baker as the character showed very little warmth at the outset and the producers badly judged that Bonnie Langford and he would have chemistry).

alexpop likes this.
  25. Can't go wrong with any of the first four doctors. For me, Tom Baker just edges out Jon Pertwee.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.