New Dr Who Series 8 Directed by Ben Wheatley

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MC Rag, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, I thought is vaguely made sense when it looked like they were melting the gold for giant circuit boards, but that thing with the golden arrow at the end made zero sense.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The whole episode seemed more like a fairy tale than a Doctor Who story. I half expected Clara to wake up in the Tardis as the end and go "Wow, what a dream I had!"

3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I got more enjoyment out of the Robin Hood episode than either of the two episodes that preceded it.

4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

The best episode so far and some real chilling and funny moments! :)

zobalob and Willowman like this.
  5. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Watched it tonight with my 9 year-old daughter. She's sleeping in our room tonight as a result. Much better than the rest of the series so far.

zobalob and Yovra like this.
  6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I liked most of it, but if the Doctor's fears were in his head, what the hell was that under Pink's blanket?

7. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

They finally have the tone of the new Doctor locked in, hopefully. The pace was slower in this episode, and this episode was deeper and more thought provoking than the first 3 episodes. This episode was a perfect fit for this new Doctor.

zobalob and progrocker71 like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, it was better than last week's, but still nonsense. It's basically Moffat doing his usual thing - taking mundane things, like monsters under the bed, and making a whole production out of it, designed to scare little kids. Meh!

Shawn, Dubmart and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  9. Yovra

I like the 'mundane' subjects better than how the 'standard' dr. Who-fare is treated in the last few years...daleks, cybermen, Davros.....
    Statues of angels are pretty mundane; millions of them around and getting a good fright out of them is much more entertaining to me than some lumbering robots from 50 years ago making a clumsy entrance....

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  10. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

I like the new Doctor. His Tardis.... HAS BOOKS!

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  11. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Any news when this season will be available on Netflix streaming?

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That was kind of my point. Yes, Blink was a brilliant episode, one of my favorites, but Moffat has gone to the well far too often. How many times have the angels been recycled, three times? And each time they were brought back he devalued the original episode by making them behave in totally different (and contradictory) ways to how they were portrayed originally. The clockwork mechanoids - again devalued only recently. What's next, the manifestation of the bogeyman (or has that already been done)? This was purely a get-the-childred-scared episode.

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Last week the message was "Robin Hood and Doctor Who are both legends." This week it was "Doctor Who is a scared little boy inside, just like the rest of us!"

I am very disappointed in this series.

Shawn, jriems and Deesky like this.
  14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

In some ways I enjoyed it, at least compared to the previous episodes, but I was also left really annoyed by the huge plot holes particularly the future Mr. Pink, he's a TIME traveler, but unless I missed it he didn't travel to a fixed point on a future Earth, so he not only traveled through time, but also billions of light years and what's with the convenient pod? Don't get me started on the thing in the bed or how someone in a space suit can just wander through a restaurant without anyone batting an eyebrow.

seed_drill and Deesky like this.
  15. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I thought this past week's episode to be the best in a long time - Listen. Great theme and one I haven't seen done by anyone yet.

Cappaldi is making the Dr his own and is in stark contrast to Tenant and Smith - Cappaldi has a very dark side which I love!

Nothing is perfect and people really need to lighten up if they expect everything perfect. You need to suspend reality and go with the flow.

16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I thought it was a very effective episode, nice and creepy, good atmosphere. The best one of the season so far.

P.S. - I'm not a child.

17. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

While I don't see the rest of the season living up to the promise of "Listen"... it would be nice, wouldn't it? :)

18. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Some of you guys need to build your own Tardis, go back to whatever era of the show you actually liked and concentrate on that. It doesn't appear that there's anything that could happen on future episodes that could actually please you.

tcj and fishcane like this.
  19. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

This week's episode - Time Heist - terrific.

20. I liked it better than the two that preceded it.

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, it was much better than the last two. I wasn't especially looking forward to it as the plot seemed to be another retread of a familiar trope - a caper movie, but the twist ending made up for a lot and made it a solid episode.

wayneklein likes this.
  22. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Time Heist was probably best episode so far this year! turning the brains to mush was scary !

23. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Yep, well said, that man. I've enjoyed every one of Capaldi's episodes so far. There's always a transitional phase for the viewer to cope with, but some of the opinions aired are plain whinging. Moaning for moaning's sake. First and foremost it must be remembered that it's a family show. It needs children to be interested. Get too clever-clever and they're gone. The show's not being aimed at the Serenity crowd. It has to be far wider than that. Enjoy what's offered and recall the many dark days when there was no Doc Who. I for one am grateful for S.M's efforts.

fishcane likes this.
  24. Yovra

"Time Heist" was a very good episode. Capaldi is becoming one of my favourite doctors!

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I agree with the consensus that "Time Heist" was the best episode so far, I'm not even going to moan about it.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.