New DSD downloads from Acoustic Sounds - Superhirez.com

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

3. nstza

nstza Forum Resident

Listening To I Robot DSD now....wow...rich, warm analog sounding
    From the Acoustic sounds description:

"First Time In DSD! Never Available As An SACD!

The man behind the recording of Dark Side of the Moon is none other than Alan Parsons. If you want to hear what is his definitive recording and a bit of the Dark Side then this is it. I Robot was produced and engineered by Alan at Abbey Road Studios and is an audiophile’s dream recording. Transferred on an all-tube cutting system from the original 1/4" analog master tapes at Bernie Grundman Mastering."

Simon A and rxcory like this.
  4. UglyAudio

UglyAudio Forum Resident

rxcory likes this.
  5. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I'm not finding that anywhere. Where is it?

6. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

Looks like they change the description. It was there yesterday. Now they specifically mention that this was never available on SACD.

rxcory likes this.
  7. UglyAudio

UglyAudio Forum Resident

Yes, they changed it!

8. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

ProStudioMasters also has the Sam Cooke in DSF (first time they've had DSD?) for $29.99 and has a 15% coupon running "IMPECCABLE"

9. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Here is the Amazon description for the HDAD from Classic Records. The first paragraph is identical to the Acoustic Sounds webpage, indicating it's sourced from the same master.

The man behind the recording of Dark Side of the Moon is none other than Alan Parsons. If you want to hear what is his definitive recording and a bit of the Dark Side then this is it. I Robot was produced and engineered by Alan at Abbey Road Studios and is an audiophile's dream recording. Transferred on an all-tube cutting system from the original 1/4-inch analog master tapes at Bernie Grundman Mastering.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The description is actually for the Classic Records LP made 14 years ago, as it refers to a "cutting system".

http://www.classicrecords.com/item.cfm?item=AL 7002-200G

It looks like those people putting the text on the product page are just copy/pasting info from their other pages and have no info about the mastering of the DSD download.

Rose River Bear and rxcory like this.
  11. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Or maybe as I said it's using the same master and therefore they didn't need to change the description. The only way to know for sure would be to e-mail Acoustic Sounds and ask them.

12. rxcory

Not when they're talking about an all analogue, tube cutting of an LP.

13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Fair enough, but for now I'm going to assume they're using the HDAD master.

14. rxcory

Yeah, I think all we have to go on at this point is our own ears. I like the sound of this one too. Eithout a doubt this is the best-sounding digital version I've ever heard. Loving it!

Simon A likes this.
  15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Do you mean they used the 24/192 PCM transfer done for the HDAD (released in 2003) and converted it to DSD?

16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I think it's possible they did this.

17. cordobaman

I just sent Acoustic Sounds an email asking...

"Hello! My question is regarding XSON11503D64 DSD, The Alan Parsons Project, I Robot. Can you elaborate on the origins of the mastering for the DSD? Is it the 24/192 PCM transfer done for the HDAD (released in 2003) and converted to DSD? The description regarding the all-tube cutting system from the original 1/4" analog master tapes appears to have been cut/pasted from a Classic Records LP description released in 2000. So I am confused...please shed some light! Thanks."

rxcory, Plan9, Lucidae and 1 other person like this.
  18. ServingTheMusic

I will be following this very closely......thank you.

19. cordobaman

Here's their (non) reply...
    "The files come from the label. All the information they give us with the files are listed on our website. For more information you would need to contact the label."

20. ServingTheMusic

B.S...and that is why they won't be getting my $$$$.

doak and Ham Sandwich like this.
  21. cordobaman

I took the plunge on The Alan Parsons Project "I Robot" DSD.

The download sounds really good, I would say it has an "LP sound" to it...analog warmth, slightly rolled-off top end, strong bottom end. Not my best DSD, not my worst. I am enjoying the clarity of the DSD. No regrets.

I no longer have the HDAD to compare, but back when I did have the HDAD it was not dramatically better than the original CD release to me so I sold it. I now have a better system so the decision to sell may not have been a good one. But I will compare to the CD one of these days, but initial recollection has the CD with more obvious top end.

22. rxcory

I have the 2007 Arista/Sony CD and the hi-res blows it out of the water. Obviously the hi-res is much more natural and open-sounding, with a DR=12 while the CD DR=09. There's more detail on the hi-res too - much better channel separation, crisper percussion, fuller, tighter bass.

I think the perception of the CD having more top end might be because of the loudness and compression, which project it out more. It's possible there is some degree of smiley-face EQ applied to the CD as well. The CD has a little bit sloppier bass which makes me thing it's also due to the loudness, either that or it's slightly goosed. At any rate, I never like the CD and now there's a much better digital alternative out there for those of us who don't own the HDAD.

I can't go so far as to say the hi-res is warm and analogue-sounding like the vinyl, because I personally don't think it is. It's an improvement over the 2007 CD and it's very good though.

23. cordobaman

One word makes a difference. I would say it has an "LP mastered sound" to it. Probably a psychological bias on my part from an earlier post...the Acoustic Sounds description being lifted from the Classic Records LP.

I just did a compare of the original Arista CD, which also has a DR12. Actually that old 80's CD sounds pretty good! Definitely more emphasis on the highs with the CD, especially symbols on "I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You". But the DSD has a wider/deeper sound stage, and MUCH more distinct bass detail. The background keyboards are more prevalent. A slight goose in the highs would make it closer to what I've been used to for the last 30-odd years. The DSD overall volume was lower, I had to adjust the knob up to match the CD during my listens...you can see that in the DR numbers as well.

For those who like numbers, here is a compare of the 80's CD and DSD:

ARCD 8040:
    foobar2000 1.3 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2014-11-16 11:23:07
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: The Alan Parsons Project / I Robot
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -2.76 dB -18.18 dB 6:02 01-I Robot
    DR12 -2.58 dB -18.04 dB 3:23 02-I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You
    DR11 -2.09 dB -17.34 dB 4:06 03-Some Other Time
    DR12 -1.71 dB -17.03 dB 3:53 04-Breakdown
    DR12 -1.97 dB -17.80 dB 4:24 05-Don't Let It Show
    DR13 -1.49 dB -18.61 dB 5:24 06-The Voice
    DR11 -5.93 dB -22.76 dB 3:22 07-Nucleus
    DR13 -2.67 dB -18.13 dB 3:57 08-Day After Day (The Show Must Go On)
    DR11 -4.94 dB -22.85 dB 3:13 09-Total Eclipse
    DR11 -2.29 dB -17.94 dB 3:25 10-Genesis Ch. 1 V. 32
    Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 747 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

DSD:
    foobar2000 1.3 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2014-11-16 11:33:59
    Analyzed: Alan Parsons / I Robot
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -7.62 dB -22.84 dB 6:00 01-I Robot
    DR12 -7.41 dB -23.02 dB 3:22 02-I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You
    DR12 -6.44 dB -21.86 dB 4:05 03-Some Other Time
    DR13 -9.27 dB -24.71 dB 3:52 04-Breakdown
    DR12 -7.43 dB -22.50 dB 4:23 05-Don't Let It Show
    DR13 -6.18 dB -23.37 dB 5:23 06-The Voice
    DR11 -9.11 dB -26.41 dB 3:29 07-Nucleus
    DR12 -8.17 dB -23.99 dB 3:49 08-Day After Day (The Show Must Go On)
    DR11 -10.06 dB -28.02 dB 3:08 09-Total Eclipse
    DR11 -6.26 dB -22.30 dB 3:21 10-Genesis Ch.1. V.32
    Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 2822400 Hz / PCM Samplerate: 176400 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 5645 kbps
    Codec: DSD64
    ================================================================================

24. UglyAudio

UglyAudio Forum Resident

The DSD volume on this is low. I have to admit that I am a little disappointed. I don't have any other versions to compare it to but it seems to lack some detail and punch that other DSD music I own has. It's also a little harsh at times.

I would rate the quality about 6 out of 10. I guess I'm spoiled with some of the high quality SACDs that I expect them all to be top notch.

25. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

Thanks a lot! The DR log suggests that they didn't just convert the 192/24 PCM files to DSD. Both track times and RMS values (allowing for a constant gain change in the PCM to DSD conversion) differ. Looks like a different mastering to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.