New Dutton Vocalion SACDs - Weather Report, Guess Who, Rick Derringer, Hues Corporation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

I just visited the Dutton Vocalion site Welcome to the Dutton Vocalion website , as I do from time to time, and there are some new SACDs up for sale, which I purchased:

These three are MCH/Stereo - with two albums on each SACD:

The Guess Who - Road Food / #10
    The Hues Corporation - Rockin' Soul / Love Corporation
    Rick Derringer - All American Boy / Spring Fever

This one is Stereo only - and only includes the one album:

Weather Report - Night Passage.

I ordered and with shipping my total came out to about $79.00. When I placed my order I got a confirmation they received my order.

Ten minutes after I ordered I got another email from Dutton Vocalion telling me my order was SHIPPED!!!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    rd1, izgoblin, Joti Cover and 24 others like this.
  2. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

What a sweet News ! I ordered instantly Rick derringer ! I hope it ll stun
    And shipped 5 min later hehe

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

What th-! :eek:

The Quadradisc cabinet is finally opening for The Guess Who?!

4. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

Ordered the Derringer and Guess Who titles this morning and received notice that they have already shipped.

Two Mch SACDs containing four LPs worth of material shipped from England for around $42 total. Unbelievable!

5. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

I got the 2 Art Garfunkel titles and the Main Ingredient "Euphrates River" SACD.
    Great sound. The Main Ingredient Surround mix is really nice with centered vocals.
    Recommended.

6. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Just ordered the Weather Report title.

gregorya, art, Juggsnelson and 2 others like this.
  7. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Ordered the Guess Who. Thanks OP!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  8. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Been looking into ordering multiples through grooves-land as it is a bit better deal. I think I have ordered before with out any problems.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I am thinking about ordering this too as I am a big Weather Report fan. However I am concerned how the mastering will be. I only own one Dutton SACD, Rheinberger Organ Concertos, and I find it very bright and shrill sounding.

10. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

For anyone who's on the fence about these, or just wants more information, in addition to writing the liner notes for these four discs I also wrote a blog entry that Vocalion posted today along with the announcement of the titles. I tried to provide a little context for the albums, as well as highlighting some of the notable (and sometimes surprising) musicians that played on them - like who woulda thunk The Hues Corporation's albums would crewed by a bunch of my beloved Steely Dan's favourite studio musicians?

As for bright and shrill sounding, I've never heard that complaint before of any of D-V's SACD's, and it's certainly not my experience with any of them but I may be a little biased.

ti-triodes, kevywevy, Jimijam and 8 others like this.
  11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

All American Boy is a guitar player's demo album. Good songs and the sound should be very high quality as well. I can't wait to hear an old favorite from my teen years in high resolution quadraphonic.

Guess Who #10 is a top quality recording with major hit, then a couple more hits added with Road Food included makes this one sit nicely next to the AF "Best of the GW".

It ain't over with quad & surround on SACD regardless of what you might have read.

Joti Cover, JDeanB, Tingman and 2 others like this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If general industry indifference to the format won't kill it, this will: some rogue company going bananas and actually charging a fair price for titles they know aren't the first priorities on die-hard fan's Want Lists (and, sending them out the very day they're ordered?! Horrors-!).

Sony, seeing how much money somebody else is making on a technology they tried to kill, is likely to hold their breath until they turn blue, could at any moment burst a blood vessel in case D-V's success interferes with the rollout of their brand new snake oil format: The "MQA-SHM Lazerdisc", playable only on Sony-proprietary analog phonographs using genuine Shibata styli, capable of rendering Kind of Blue, Time Out, and Pet Sounds in STUNNING! Atmos-quality sound (albeit with a Beats logo somewhere on the album jackets, inexplicably...)!

(That sentence in itself is likely to earn this board a Cease-and-Desist notice for unveiling their plans ahead of their estimated Fall 2020 rollout date...)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    McLover, Jimijam, JonUrban and 4 others like this.
  13. art

art Senior Member

Great news!

Joti Cover and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  14. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

Yea, I look forward to Rock-n-Roll Hoochie Koo. The CD versions ive heard sound pretty good, so there is hope this one might excel in hi-res.

This one is available in Stereo I hope.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  15. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

nice! wonder if any Jaco era Weather Report was mixed but not released in quad?

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, all these play in great stereo as well as a 4.0 quad surround. Should be about the best sounding version out there.

D/V does not boost high end or loudness, so it will be natural as the master tapes are.

JDeanB, Jimijam and fredblue like this.
  17. art

art Senior Member

The stereo layers on the Art Garfunkel titles are stunners, as good as any of the best SACDs. Swear producers Richard Perry and Roy Halee never sounded better. And that's saying a lot.

18. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

D/V does an incredible job all around - excellent, no brickwall mastering, detailed information in the CD booklet and on the jewel box covers, and such a fair price, especially for 2 albums on one SACD, if you're not checking these out, you are missing the boat. With the specialty reissue labels decreasing their release schedules and some disappearing, supporting D/V is a no brainer.

D/V = Dutton Vocalion, from the UK.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

20. You can get a small sense of which DV SACDs are selling well - DV themselves sell all their SACDs on eBay and it shows how many copies of each one have sold. The Garfunkel SACDs seem to be the most popular so far.

Juggsnelson and fredblue like this.
  21. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I know ebay is only one method of selling but some of those numbers are shockingly low.
    2 Cecil Holmes, 3 for Jimmy Castor
    Wonder how many they press of some of these titles: 500? 1000?

22. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

No kidding! I guess this is the state of affairs now: we are truly collectors. Will be getting the Guess Who and Weather Report discs.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I buy all DV SACDs direct from DV. So the indication of the amount of discs being sold on eBay wouldn't be an accurate assessment of the overall amount being sold IMO.

24. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I ordered all
    Same here. They shipped the day I ordered...you can't beat that!

25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I ordered all four. Nice additions to my quad collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.