New earbuds recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by supermd, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey! I finally lost my beloved Sony MDR-E828LP earbuds due to sound loss in one ear. I have a couple options:

1. Buy a new pair of these. The problem with that is they have been out of productions for many years, so I would be paying close to $50 for a new pair.

2. You can recommend a comparable - or even better - pair to me.

These are not those in-ear earbuds. They are like the old white Apple ones. Here is a photo of my current earbuds.

[​IMG]

I had gotten some $15 Sennheiser earbuds, but they did not sit well in my ear at all. These Sony ones are perfect, so I may fall back on them, as I love their sound and feel. However, if you have a great recommendation, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance!

timind likes this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

SandAndGlass and forthlin like this.
  3. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Yuin PK-3. About $30.00. Sound good.

4. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'll second these! I got turned on to these by timind in a thread a while back. I really wasn't even looking for earbuds at the time but I was intrigued by his description. $14?
    You must be joking. He wasn't, they're really cool. You can always send 'em back to Amazon if you don't like them but I bet you will.:)

timind likes this.
  5. supermd

timind and forthlin like this.
  6. harby

harby Forum Resident

The better tip I've found for in ear monitors is the "olive" soft foam memory insert, where you roll it between your fingers like an earplug, insert, and it expands to the shape of your ear canal. Or even make your own out of earplugs (better when reusing the hard inner tube of the foam plugs):

[​IMG]

7. supermd

Too much work haha. I'm thinking of just plopping down $50 for a new pair of my old earbuds that I know and love.

8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

forthlin likes this.
  9. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Mrice 300. Surprisingly good for just $18 on Amazon. They're my default cheap earbuds for using while working on the house, mowing the lawn, etc. I used to buy half a dozen at a time and give them away to entice people into our crazy hobby.

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

My suggestion: quit messing around and spend $99 on 1More Triple Drivers.

11. supermd

Again, I cannot do these types of earbuds. They hurt my ears. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

LeeS and George P like this.
  12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Skullcandy Smokin' Buds 2. Crap name, brilliant earphones. On my second pair now. These bettered Sennheiser CX-300 IIs and, more recently Sennheiser Momentums. Performance way beyond price.

13. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Given your dislike of the Sennheiser fit (ie. too big?), I'd say stay away from the VE Monk's which share the classic MX500 shell.
    Given your like of the Sony's fit, the Yuin PK3 suggestion is a good one with it's smaller shell. If the Yuin's are too expensive, the Edifier H180 are of the smaller form-factor & might fit you well.

14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

George P likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

How are the Sennheiser MX 365 Earphones? As good as the older model they made at that price point?

16. George P

George P Notable Member

How are the Sennheiser MX 365 Earphones? As good as the older model they made at that price point?

Anyone, please?

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Well, I bought a new pair over the weekend and the right speaker is already blown out. I think I might try these: https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-EM3S-Ea...&qid=1538577961&sr=1-12&keywords=FiiO+earbuds

I assume they have the same sound as these, recommended earlier:

18. ron325

ron325 Forum Resident

You could try falling into the head-fi.org wormhole. Anything you could ever want to know (and more!) regarding earphones can be found there.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

Venture Electronics VE Monk. $10 or less. They're the style you're looking for.

20. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

21. hughf4546

hughf4546 Member

22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I just bought a set of 1MORE Triple Driver in ears. I am not a big earbud guy - they either never sound right or don't fit my ear. Recently, with all my Daughters sports activities taking up my weekends, I have been listening to a lot of music via Qobuz studio and figured I may want to try some new 'buds. At $62 on Amazon US, these came recomended from a few sites I researched, so I gave it a shot. So far, I am really liking them. They sound light years better than the Creative Labs earbuds I had and certainly better than the stock Apple 'buds that are packed with your new Iphone. The first thing that struck me was the bass - not Dr. Dre Beats bass, but deep accurate bass, almost as good as a decent over the ear headphone. They also come packed with additional foam and silcon ear tips in different sizes.

I have however, read some reviews that claim early failure. Too early to comment on that, but so far I am really liking these and for $62, it wasn't a huge risk.

JQ

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.