New Elton John album, "Wonderful Crazy Night" (5th February 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadbirdie, Aug 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member Thread Starter

According to T-Bone Burnett (in Billboard magazine), they just finished a new Elton John album together. He calls it a "very upbeat rock n' roll record."

Really loved Diving Board so I'm looking forward to this.

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Something to look forward too!

3. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Diving Board was the first Elton album in years I don't like, I never play it. I lioved Captain and The Kid & Peachtree Road

4. music and movies

music and movies Forum Resident

Elton hasn't done anything decent in years. Too many ballads. Hopefully he finds a way to inject the energy of his youth back into his music.

Chemguy likes this.
  5. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I envy your level of optimism sir! The man has created a good 10-15 years' worth of quality work since 1969. I'll take that.

limoges, warewolf95 and jeffrey walsh like this.
  6. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    All kidding aside,I hope Elton has a good one in him still. Why can't T Bone put out something of his own but I guess that's another thread.

Yannick and d.s.l. like this.
  7. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It is definitely not coming out in 2015. It was originally scheduled for September but March seems to be the new target date. Maybe the lack of Christmas competition will help give it a high debut and more attention.

8. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

It's the same story every time he has a new record ready...."a return to form for Elton John". Been hearing that since Reg Strikes Back and still waiting for it to be true, although Songs From The West Coast and Captain and the Kid were spotty but had some good songs. I'm afraid he has no voice left at all and to my ears his last few have been difficult listens. Still love up to Blue Moves though.

9. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I thought he dumped T-Bone Burnett?.....:confused:

10. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Ditto. I listened to most of Captain and the Kid the other day. Really some lovely songs on there, nicely recorded and tastefully played by the EJ band. I struggle to say any of those things about the Diving Board; the last point being moot as the band weren't on it.

11. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Thought or hoped!?

Todd W. and JoeF. like this.
  12. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Davey Johnstone has reported on his blog that it is a rock n roll record with lots of guitars on it. Let's hope it's not going through some sort of remixing process now to turn it into something else.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

14. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

I hope it's black and white quartered tail coat and straw boater style rocking.
    Seriously...I hope it's a bit more rocking than the mid-paced upbeat songs featured on albums in recent years (Hey Ahab, Just Like Noah's Ark, They Call Her The Cat etc)

15. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

Great news man, you've just made my day! I'll say it again: Elton John never hit a bad chord. I loved "The Diving Board", the best 2013 album in my book and the best Elton's album after the 90's. I just wish he could record his next album with another producer, since this is the third one in a roll with T-Bone. I'm also waiting for the demos of the musicals he did, since they're much better than the official soundtracks.

16. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Diving Board was OK .... But I want a rockin' EJ disc.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm all for new Elton! Thanks for the news.

18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

For others of you who like Formula One, Elton is the musical guest at Austin this year.

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Agreed. I wanted to like it, but it was just too long, and nothing really stood out to me. Too much other stuff to get to to really take the time to get into a 60-minute Elton album with no rockers.

20. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

You lost me with that last bit...

21. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

And he also says that it was at Elton's request that there be lots of guitars on this album.

22. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

I have literally just listened to Rock Of The Westies in completion. If only...

23. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

I'm sure it was supposed to be "up through Blue Moves." :D

Sordel likes this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I 'm an old time Elton fan, and I really tried to like The Diving Board. I thought "Home Again" was a great song, but the album had too many songs that sounded the same. It was dull and dry.
    I don't like Elton using T-Bone Burnett the same way I don't like The Stones using Don Was.
    Burnett has a following though.
    I hope the new Elton John album will be titled Gathering Dust because I have a shelf full of Burnett-produced albums by a variety of artists doing just that....

PROG U.K. likes this.
  25. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

T Bone has to have some time to himself to stock up on those shirts with high collars & giant cuffs, not to mention the high button jackets. ;)

PROG U.K. and goodboyfred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.