New Elton John ' Diamonds' Box Set Coming?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Jul 19, 2017.

1. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident Thread Starter

While looking on Amazon UK at the forthcoming Smiths 'Queen Is Dead' listings earlier i noticed this item in "You May Also Be Interested In" section.

Elton John - Diamonds [Box Set]

Diamonds: Amazon.co.uk: Music

The listing is vague as it contains no track listing, cover art or info, just a pre-order price of £54.99 and that its 3CD's. It's says 'Commercial Marketing' which usually means its Universal so its a official product.

Any ideas? It will probably end up being a run of the mill greatest hits collection as due in November, but it would be nice it was a retrospective like 'To Be Continued' but at 3 discs it probably won't be.

Any ideas?

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Can't see any info about this yet. It's a bit pricey for a Greatest Hits type thing, though.

Jarleboy, bob60 and fredblue like this.
  3. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes that's what i was thinking - although i know that amazon can place any random amount when initially a product.

4. Bobby Morrow

Very true. Amazon's prices are often ludicrous.

I looked on Elton's website but there was no mention of the box. It may just be a career retrospective of some of his best material. Not necessarily the hits. It would be nice if it was unreleased stuff/B-sides etc.

Jarleboy and fredblue like this.
  5. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

What would be even nicer would be a dvd box of some old concert films which have never made it past vhs ( and the complete Edinburgh 76 especially)

J_D__, longdist01, NunoBento and 4 others like this.
  6. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Maybe Elton is going to follow Britney, Madonna, etc and release a perfume?

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:laugh: That would be a very Elton thing to do, yes...

JDeanB and bob60 like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

@fredblue did once say that Elton smelled wonderful..

Though I don't know why he was sniffing him.:D

Sean, SuntoryTime, fredblue and 3 others like this.
  9. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Waiting on more info.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

C'mon, you mean to tell me that if given the chance you wouldn't take a whiff of Elton? I bet he smells like a pleasant mix of a good cologne and fresh flowers. :)

CBackley, krock2009, JDeanB and 6 others like this.
  11. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I tend to think this is probably a repackaging of his early covers. Amazon lists the label as Commercial Marketing, not Universal or any of its affiliated labels.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Apparently "Commercial Marketing" is the placeholder label Amazon uses before putting the real label's name in the listing.

13. Neil Barrett

Neil Barrett Forum Resident

I see that this now has a release date - 10th of November. Very intrigued by this. Anyone heard any rumblings?

-Edit- I see that the release date of November was already mentioned above. Need to work on my reading comprehension.

14. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

This was mentioned in another Elton forum. Seems like it could be a non-official set, as there was no mention of anything at Elton's official site. And they've already announced the special vinyl rereleases for the year.

I thought Diamonds might refer to songs that hit "diamond" status in the rec industry, but I don't think Elton's had any diamond sales - has he?

Doesn't seem legit.

15. Neil Barrett

Neil Barrett Forum Resident

Well I'm still hanging onto hope that 'Diamonds' is some kind of 'Diamonds in the rough' reference, and we'll be getting three CDs of pre-1970 DJM demos, well-mastered and lovingly annotated. As you can tell, I live in a dream world.

krock2009 and warewolf95 like this.
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

After the success of last year's limited edition Burberry Red vinyl box, the next special product will be the even more limited Diamonds box consisting of the following:

Leather Jackets on 200 gram LP, in die cut faux leather sleeve
    English Rose on 45 rpm 7" single with original Candle In The Wind b-side
    Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds on 33 rpm 12" single b/w three new Kanye remixes
    Rocket Man - Number Ones on LP
    GYBR on 2xLP to mark the 1,000 reissue of this EJ diamond

Diamond will only be released at Kay Jewelers shops at select shopping malls in the greater NYC area and will retail for $1,000 in honor of GYBR milestone. Remember "kiss begins with K....."

EddieT, Oyster Boy, krock2009 and 4 others like this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

What, no set of 4 LPs of remixes and B-Sides from Victim Of Love? I demand my super extended Johnny B. Goode mix, damn it!

:)

18. Bobby Morrow

Johnny B. Goode was extended quite enough on the album, thank you very much.:)

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Point taken. :)

krock2009 likes this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I believe @Bobby Morrow has gone on record as liking that album. :D

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Then he's a Victim Of Bad Taste. :)

Shaddam IV, krock2009 and Malina like this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Bobby has a bit of a "blind spot" when it comes to 80s Elton, but at least he admits it! :agree:

krock2009 likes this.
  23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

"Diamonds" signifies 50th Anniversary , right? Elton John began collaborating with Bernie Taupin in 1967 and I'm pretty sure he released his first single in 1968, so it's probably a hits-centered compilation spanning 1967-2017.

I'd rather a BBC box set from the early days...

EddieT and longdist01 like this.
  24. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

25. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Could be Elton doing Neil Diamond covers. :p

delmonaco, EddieT, jonboy71 and 2 others like this.