New Elton John ' Diamonds' Box Set Coming?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

more details please :)

2. :) I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be something other than another greatest hits/best of package.

duggan likes this.
  3. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

They're really teasing it on his social feeds - more than the vinyl reissues. Though they're' using the cheapest animated GIF of a diamond one could find.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Maybe it's a tribute album to Geocities websites circa 1996!

Benno123 and Neil Barrett like this.
  5. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

I think he may have started his studies at The Royal Academy of Music in '57 (or was it '58)?

Or maybe it's Diamonds In The Rough - outtakes and rarities!

6. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident Thread Starter

It maybe expensive but when you compare it to Queen's News Of The World reissue box which has 3cd's and blu-ray it's actually quite cheap as that's retailing at £109.99 on amazon at the moment.

Time will tell to see what's in it. I wonder if the set will be newly remastered (from the new vinyl cuts by Bob Ludwig) or they will re-use the Dudgeon remasters from the 1990's?

NunoBento and fredblue like this.
  7. Neil Barrett

Neil Barrett Forum Resident

I know we're running on fumes here (which is odd considering this box set comes out in about five weeks), but I searched for the EAN, and found this link, which adds in the intriguing letters "Del. Ed." into the album title. If this is a deluxe edition, where's the standard edition? What on earth is this thing?

fredblue, Runicen and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

So they posted another blind teaser - now it says Elton John Diamonds, with a giant E made of diamonds.

fredblue likes this.
  9. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Judging by the samples of the original versions of "Your Song" and "Rocket Man", this will be just another Best Of.
    Not that anybody needs it, but to be fair to Sir Elton, it's a been a few years since the last one.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Only 8 letters to go and they might tell us.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It would be funny if it was a collection of really good deep cuts and failed singles that weren't on other compilations. :)

12. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

"JUST in time for holiday gift giving...."

Adam Bosman likes this.
  13. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Missed that (didn't have the sound on). Yeah, Rocket Man - Def. Hits was the last one I think. The only thing that could make this different is if it's released on vinyl - would give people a chance to get the greatest hits on vinyl in one set.

14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'd love an 80s onwards B-sides and rarities collection but predict another Best Of/Greatest Hits type affair. The time of year suggests this would be more prudent.

Ideally, I'd like a new album. It's nearly 2 years since Wonderful Crazy Night.. Wonder if he's got something brewing?

CBackley, Carlox, fredblue and 2 others like this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh yeah, I'd be all over an "80's and on" B-Sides and rarities album like white on rice! Gimmie, gimme, gimme! :)

16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It's better than Your Song and Rocket Man again, isn't it?

Carlox and fredblue like this.
  17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It's three discs covering the recording of his 1975 cover of The Beatles' "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." That's it. Alternate versions--including one without the reggae break-- along with false starts, demos, rehearsals and a specially mixed solo acoustic piano version featuring stellar background vocals by Dee, Davey & Nigel....

The bonus features include John Lennon joining "Elton and the boys...." for three songs at Madison Square Garden in late 1974....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh yeah, but then again anything would be. :)

19. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

OMG! If it's just another greatest hits package, please, please, please let them rename it Take A Whiff Of Elton. :laugh:

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"A Bouquet Of Reg"? :)

Chance likes this.
  21. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I think there's also a 2o-minute track called "Tuning Elton's Piano."

Matthew Tate and JoeF. like this.
  22. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Neil did cover Rocket Man and Can You Feel The Love Tonight, so maybe he's returning the favor? Neil did introduce Elton to the US at the Troubadour too.

23. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

He needs to continue “To Be Continued...”

ARK, Carlox, John Adam and 3 others like this.
  24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"I Told You I'd Continue It Eventually".

Matthew Tate and PTgraphics like this.
  25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

...why? It was all stuff people already owned.

Aside from these apparently fantastic vinyl reissues, a comprehensive set of b-sides/rarities/compilation tracks is really the only Elton product anyone needs to be putting out right now.

Eska68 and Neil Barrett like this.