New Elvis Costello Album(s?) in 2020: "Hey Clockface" (10/30/2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Apr 13, 2020.

1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

@CWillman has the story in Variety:

Elvis Costello Debuts Song, Reveals Album Plans on Steve Nieve Webcast – Variety

I interpret EC’s comments to suggest he envisions the 9 Paris tracks as a separate project from the postponed Abbey Road Imposters sessions, if so we might very well see 2 albums from him in the foreseeable future. Or it wouldn’t be unprecedented from him to combine the best material from both sets of sessions into one album.

In any case, aside from the practical difficulty of planning and recording during this pandemic, the timing does seem perfect for a new album (or two!). He’s coming off a Grammy win for his last album, which was both a sales and critical success. It’s also an election year so we might expect to hear the political charged (and thus far unrecorded) “Go Tell (Your Quiet Sister)” and any other protest songs he might be stockpiling.

“Hey Clockface” reminds me a bit of the songwriting and vocal delivery style of the old Honky Tonk Demos like “Jump Up.”

And hey... Nick Lowe?!?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    dee, Electric Sydney, Sean and 17 others like this.
  2. DeeThomaz

I wonder if the Paris recordings include the various EC/Steve Nieve co-compositions from the late 90’s (or so) like “Passionate Fight” and “You Lie Sweetly” (which was finally released a few years ago on a Steve Nieve album— but with a vocal by Sting)?

Alfie Noakes and GetHappy!! like this.
  3. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

It sure does look like we'll be getting a new Elvis album once the virus permits. I'm always thrilled when I hear about a new Costello release. When I read that he was hoping to get Nick Lowe to produce it, I was like WTF? How cool is that? What will it sound like? Blood and Chocolate? Wishful thinking and not likely. If it's half as good as Look Now, I'll be very happy.

4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Nick producing seems like a long shot.

2trackmind and Davido like this.
  5. veon

veon Forum Resident

Here’s hoping that we (I) finally get a proper studio rendition of ‘Last Year of My Youth’ (though I’m not holding my breath!)

6. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

This is some much welcomed good news around these parts.

From your mouth to God's ear! I asked Elvis about this song specifically after a show last November & he was expectedly cagey with something along the lines of, "Most of these things make their way out if/when the time is right."

7. chickendinna

When did you talk to Elvis? Lucky you. Go Tell ( Your Quiet Sister) is terrific. I loved it when he played it live. I hope he doesn't sit on it too long.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  8. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Elvis is usually pretty approachable after (& sometimes before) shows. I've met him 6 or 7 times over the last dozen years & he's always been very gracious. He'll even occasionally get chatty as long as there are very few people around. But he does not suffer fools easily.

dee, GetHappy!!, kouzie and 1 other person like this.
  9. DeeThomaz

Seems like a good one for The Basher:

10. DeeThomaz

Nice thought. Considering that it took several years for him to release his ode his own 45th birthday, now seems just about the perfect time to commemorate another belated milestone.

11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I wound up taking an hour break in the middle of my day to watch Steve’s webcast. Nice deep dives into the catalog even before Elvis showed up. I’ve always wondered if “Vertigo” influenced the lyrics to “Passionate Fight”.

Rockford & Roll and DeeThomaz like this.
  12. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Truth. He always makes time, and he’s very approachable. But DO NOT be an ass, because he won’t tolerate it.

DeeThomaz and IbMePdErRoIoAmL like this.
  13. chickendinna

I purchased MAIT at the Tower Records in Vegas on its first day of release. I've been an avid fan ever since. I see him live every chance I can. Without a doubt, I can tell that he doesn't suffer fools easily.

GetHappy!! and DeeThomaz like this.
  14. DeeThomaz

Intriguing! I don’t know the movie well enough to offer any real insight but the “night after night after night...” and Steve’s accompanying piano has a certain...swirling quality to it that could support that theory.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  15. DeeThomaz

Bit off subject but Steve Nieve doesn’t get anywhere near enough recognition as one of rock’s finest virtuosos. EC always surrounds himself with superb musicians but Steve is in a class of his own.

16. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. I do hope Nick Lowe is involved on the next project. Good fun!

17. chickendinna

Easily one of my favorite keyboard players ever, Steve has such a wonderful style and adds so much depth to Costello’s music. I can’t imagine what it would be like without him.

dee and DeeThomaz like this.
  18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The part about the clothes on the door is what leads me there. In "Vertigo" Jimmy Stewart's character picks out the clothes for Kim Novak's character to wear because he is trying to recreate another woman (presumed dead) whom she resembles. Elvis introduced the song with the focus on the guy hanging the clothes on the door after the woman was gone when he did the mini-tour with Steve that turned into the limited edition box. I could be totally off. :)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  19. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

It doesn't seem like he would be telling the story if the upshot wasn't that Nick had agreed. But given enough time quarantining away from studios, there is lots of time for Nick to back out again...

GetHappy!! likes this.
  20. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

What I got from it -- and admittedly there is a lot of room for extrapolation -- is that initially he was recording with the intention of one album, but now that the nine Paris tracks are there essentially done except for the mixing while there's little promise of doing anything else for a long time, he realized the Paris sessions could make a nice stand-along digital album. So how tough will it be to convene a mixing session during a pandemic...

If we eventually got an entire Nick Lowe-produced Imposters album instead of half of one (he also mentions separate sessions in Helsinki, and who knows what those were like), the interruption could have a small silver lining.

I personally know of two other EC projects that are in the can, though -- neither consisting of new recordings of his --that were planned for release this year or early next year. If everything he's involved with gets pushed back to 2021... it'll all still come out, I'm sure, but I suspect things will be parceled out at a pace slower than the glut some of us would be fine with.

GetHappy!!, dee and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. dee

dee Senior Member

LOL. Good thing I was with someone who wasn't because I was like a little fool ;). Perhaps just enough of a charming, harmless, genuine one lol not to incur spoken ire.
    "Right, this bloke really is a fool...'tart' indeed ;).. off you go now..." ;)

Well whether 2 new EC records, or 1, it's something positive in a good way to look forward to in these troubling days and disturbing times.

22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

This forced hiatus from touring could be a blessing of sorts...it'll give Elvis time to sort out his hearing/vocal issues that have made recent shows such a mixed bag.

23. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Elvis apparently put a new song out earlier today on Spotify and YouTube called "No Flag" but it was quickly taken down.

No Flag

24. DeeThomaz

I think it’s supposed to drop tomorrow.

omikron, Rockford & Roll and SteveFff like this.
  25. DeeThomaz