New Eric Clapton Blu ray Announced

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

How much Rock?

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

3. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Thanks
    I grabbed one for the wife(got regular dvd rather than blu ray)
    No player yet.

4. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I watched this concert video tonight. It gets a B+ from me. Some good tour footage and interviews with EC (and his crew) intermingled with performances from Far East Tour 2014. I would've much preferred this to be two separate features - a tour documentary and a complete concert (even if they had to be culled from different shows).

The performances are good but safe (as EC says in the interview, this band gives him a security blanket). Most of the songs have appeared on multiple Clapton releases before. EC's guitar seems mixed a bit low to me in the stereo mix. Overall, it's nothing essential but a good visual document of his last Japan tour.

I wish someone from the EC camp would look at some of the more exciting tour footage that sits in the vault such as the 1994 Blues tour or the 2006-07 "Layla" tour with Derek Trucks. Both tours had shows professionally recorded and would make much better concert films featuring some of Eric's most inspired playing in recent years.

its ec likes this.
  5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What about a Cream 2005 Blu-ray box set? At least one song was never released on any format.

6. crossroads69

I would buy a Cream 2005 box set with all 4 nights. Which song are you talking about? I thought all of them got picked from one of the 4 nights.

I've attended a few Clapton shows in past years and the 2007 tour was the best IMO. The one with Winwood was also good but I enjoyed the Dominos material more than the Blind Faith stuff. As far as I remember,a DVD for the 2007 tour was being prepared using the San Diego show (JJ Cale was the guest) but somehow never completed. Rumors said EC wasn't happy with that particular show. But I'm sure more shows were professionally filmed including ones in Japan.

Speaking of EC blurays, an expanded version of the first two Crossroads Festivals could be nice!

rgutter likes this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Tales of Brave Ulysses was done only at the 3 NYC shows. Every other song was done at all shows in 2005 and on the DVD.

8. crossroads69

Oh ok, I thought you were only talking about the Albert Hall shows. I'm not sure if the MSG shows were professionally recorded on film/video. Further, I remember all the 3 takes of Tales having issues with Jack forgetting lyrics and Ginger sometimes missing the stops. A clear indication that it was thrown in last minute (I would guess by Eric) without much or any rehearsals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.